Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Adding Garuda (using DL miles) to paid DL tix to skip immigration?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Hi All, First of all. Thank you for any help in this matter.
I purchased (paid) Delta ticket JFK-ICN-DPS round trip for October 2022.
On the way back, I want to fly out of Singapore and was thinking of adding a segment SIN-DPS using Garuda airlines (Delta partner) - I can either buy this with Delta miles (if it's easier to add to reservation) or paid (on Garuda website) - don't know if that makes a difference.

My Question is:
1. Can I add the SIN-DPS segment into my existing flight reservation? (is this necessary)?
2. Will Garuda agent at SIN be able to give me boarding pass (since they are partner airlines) for the rest of the itinerary (DPS-ICN-JFK)?
3. is there a transfer desk at DPS airport on air side (so I don't have to go outside security/ immigration) to get boarding pass if Garuda agent at SIN can't do it?
4. IF There is a flight schedule change, would Delta let me fly out of SIN (instead of flying out of DPS) without change/ diff in fare fee? - This would be nice although very unlikely.

My goal is to NOT have to go thru immigration at DPS and NOT have to collect bags/ recheck at DPS. Thank you for the help in this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: DL DM
Not sure about the particular flight/airline combination, but to answer one of your questions:

According to Delta, luggage can not be checked through if you have two tickets. Delta only supports this for a small list of airlines, and Garuda is not on that list.

see: https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...e-policy-.html

I have heard rumors of gate agents making it work, but never happened for me with similar two-ticket flights (not involving Garuda). For the boarding pass, you could hope for an electronic (mobile) boarding pass but I find them more miss and less hit since Covid regulations usually require an in-person check-in these days.
Jennatraveller likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Book KLM SIN-DPS if you can. It's cheap even for business plus will be a 777.

Agents at SIN will be able to tags bags across tickets. As for BP, you should get all, but might not. If not you can get at airside transfer desk.

Basically don't bother trying to modify you booking to add this. Itll cost many more miles and may not even be possible. Booking as a separate OW ticket on KL or GA is fine. Theyll rebook you in case misconnect.

Finally, no DL will not change from DPS to SIN. CGK to SIN maybe, but definitely not DPS.
DiverDave and Jennatraveller like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by underattack
Not sure about the particular flight/airline combination, but to answer one of your questions:

According to Delta, luggage can not be checked through if you have two tickets. Delta only supports this for a small list of airlines, and Garuda is not on that list.

see: https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...e-policy-.html

I have heard rumors of gate agents making it work, but never happened for me with similar two-ticket flights (not involving Garuda). For the boarding pass, you could hope for an electronic (mobile) boarding pass but I find them more miss and less hit since Covid regulations usually require an in-person check-in these days.
Has no bearing on OP since not checking in with DL.

Even if you get BP, most airlines don't trust others to do CV19 document checks. You'll normally be asked again.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:35 am
Original Poster

@flyerCO Thank you for the suggestion. I'll look into KLM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.