Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Boston Meltdown with International Flights Sunday

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Boston Meltdown with International Flights Sunday

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2022, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you suggesting that the normal schedule is two DL BOS-AMS nonstops plus one KLM BOS-AMS nonstop, one BOS-ATH nonstop and one BOS-TLV nonstop, plus presumably at least LHR and CDG nonstop flights? That's amazing!
AMS X 2, LHR, CDG, LIS, FCO, EDI, DUB are daily... TLV, ATH may not be daily. I don't believe the KL flight is daily. And the DUB flight operates as a domestic arrival into terminal A as DUB has CBP preclearance.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Yes, meaning both can happen. If a plane going to an international outstation is 11 hours late, then the return flight could be 11 hours late as well and they'll know that well in advance. But there are also times a plane goes mechanical and they give updates every hour about when the plane will leave, and then you'll be stuck in the terminal most of the time because you never know which update will be "we can go now."

It depends on the city and the severity of the event. If thunderstorms shut down DL's largest hub (ATL), hotel rooms could easily fill by early afternoon. If it's a single flight that's delayed at an outstation, then hotel rooms likely won't fill up unless something else is happening in town.
When there was bad weather in New York and caused cancellations at LGA a few weeks ago, I was supposed to be on a flight from YYZ-LGA. All flights to New York (EWR, JFK, LGA) with all carriers were cancelled and I was rebooked to a flight the next day, but DL said that they wouldn't offer hotel rooms because "they can't control the weather." Had to blow $300 at the YYZ Sheraton as that was the only place with availability as AA and other airlines gave their passengers hotel rooms to hotels that were cheaper than the Sheraton.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
A 75W from ATL! That’s quite the ride compared to a widebody.
Originally Posted by PHXflier
N703TW, the plane that did ATL-CDG, on Sunday went from CDG to BOS as an extra flight (DL 9897). So it stayed at CDG for a while.
Originally Posted by lindros2
Continental did it EWR-AMS/CDG/DUS for a while in transition from DC-10 and brand new 767-200/400 service (remember they were falling apart / piece fell of picked up by Concorde at CDG)…
It was okay… 22 years ago.
I think UA still does it on some of the shorter/thinner European routes from EWR. I think the longest they did was EWR-Berlin which is ~4,000 miles and often in the winter the flight needed a fuel stop on the way back due to headwinds. ATL-CDG is 4,400 miles, which is probably at the limits of range on the eastbound (with a tailwind), but as mentioned, the aircraft flew back to BOS (3,450 miles). There's probably no way it could have made it back to ATL nonstop (even without pax).
xooz likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some of the LIS flights have been 757s and IIRC BRU and CPH too. 757s have also been used for KEF, although some of the KEF flights don't offer D1.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I think UA still does it on some of the shorter/thinner European routes from EWR. I think the longest they did was EWR-Berlin which is ~4,000 miles and often in the winter the flight needed a fuel stop on the way back due to headwinds.
In years past I’ve flown EWR-LIS, BCN-EWR on a UA 757.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some of the LIS flights have been 757s and IIRC BRU and CPH too. 757s have also been used for KEF, although some of the KEF flights don't offer D1.
Originally Posted by TomMM
In years past I’ve flown EWR-LIS, BCN-EWR on a UA 757.
Yes, and those are all shorter than EWR-Berlin. ARN used to also be a 752 (slightly shorter than BER).
BCN has long since been up-gauged, I think often to a 777 (plus an AA 777 and a DL 763/330), given substantial tourism growth in that market (largely cruises) especially in summer.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
BCN became a very fashionable leisure travel destination versus a relatively unknown/underrated second city in Spain. IMO Barcelona was always much more interesting that Madrid.
ijgordon and williwaw like this.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Hey, let's try to stay close to the thread subject, not about 757 range capabilities or which city in Spain is better!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.