Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using upgrade certificates for domestic D1 flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2022, 7:31 am
Original Poster

Yesterday I made reservations to fly from BOS to the west coast and back, wanting to use my RUCs before they expire in January. If you log in before (or during) your search, the search results will indicate for which flights First or D1 are available for upgrades. For D1 flights, some of them say that the upgrade to D! requires a GUC rather than an RUC. For other D1 flights, an RUC is sufficient. Does anyone know the basis for requiring different upgrade certificates for different domestic D1 flights? Or is this a bug? The agent with whom I talked this morning did not know about this at all and said he thought it might be a bug.

I've also wondered why we can't redeem RUCs and GUCs online. I know that when I do this, I'm put on hold for quite a while while the agent contacts some other department to do this. Seems like it should be fairly simple to program the system for using RUCs and GUCs without needing an agent's involvement.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Long existing threads on this topic with Wikis and different requirements for usage. Inability to use certs online is probably one of biggest beefs with Delta.

Using Global Upgrades on Delta (GUCs) post 2/1/2022 Changes
Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022
Old Jun 13, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
You're messing with us, right?

This comes up in every RUC/GUC thread.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 8:10 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by cnc2002
Yesterday I made reservations to fly from BOS to the west coast and back, wanting to use my RUCs before they expire in January. If you log in before (or during) your search, the search results will indicate for which flights First or D1 are available for upgrades. For D1 flights, some of them say that the upgrade to D! requires a GUC rather than an RUC. For other D1 flights, an RUC is sufficient. Does anyone know the basis for requiring different upgrade certificates for different domestic D1 flights? Or is this a bug? The agent with whom I talked this morning did not know about this at all and said he thought it might be a bug.

I've also wondered why we can't redeem RUCs and GUCs online. I know that when I do this, I'm put on hold for quite a while while the agent contacts some other department to do this. Seems like it should be fairly simple to program the system for using RUCs and GUCs without needing an agent's involvement.
It’s not a bug. It’s all based on seats being released for upgrade by Delta. For the flights with first class, the RUC is sufficient to upgrade. You typically won’t see D1 on these same routes - lie flats in these would still be considered first class and marketed as such.

In the event that Delta is not releasing seats for the RUC, the GUC gives you access to last seat availability and thus why you see some of the flights showing available for the GUC and not the RUC.
Daitheflu84 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.