Delta adds LGA-BDL

Old Jun 12, 22, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Aeroplan Elite 75K
Delta adds LGA-BDL

Delta will add a new flagship route in September from LGA to BDL. At 101 miles, it will be LaGuardia's shortest route on any carrier and one of Delta's shortest anywhere.

Otherwise known as slot squatting.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/laguar...hortest-route/
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 12, 22, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
BDL is my home airport (I live 20 mins away), and I still wouldnt even think of booking this. This flight is going to be the first to get delayed or axed with ATC issues (which, NYC being what it is makes it almost a given), and the headache of being stuck and having a car parked at BDL when you could just be on your way driving home from LGA makes this a non-starter. Its about a 2 hour drive, without traffic (which admittedly can be a headache of its own, but youre not at the mercy of ATC in that case).

I could *maybe* see it for JFK with international connections from BDL, but LGA? Not a chance. For anywhere you can fly from LGA, youd be way better off flying via ATL/DTW/MSP with a heck of a lot more predictable reliability.
ezefllying, mediator and becks1 like this.
Old Jun 12, 22, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA PlatPro, UA Premier
Way back in the day (pre-9/11, I think summer of 2000 or so), DL did have a BDL-JFK flight on a 767-300. Was done for international connections and to ease up on gate space at JFK.

LGA is definitely a slot squat though (as are PVD, ALB and to a lesser extent ORH). That being said, it does make DL more of an option for connections, notably in the Virginia/North Carolina area where ATL/DTW are a bit out of the way.
becks1 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 22, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA, UA, BA, Hhonors Diamond
On the other hand, if you're connecting (and you probably are) you might get a better re-route than going through LGA when the flight got canceled.
Old Jun 12, 22, 9:32 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by mersk862 View Post
Way back in the day (pre-9/11, I think summer of 2000 or so), DL did have a BDL-JFK flight on a 767-300. Was done for international connections and to ease up on gate space at JFK.

LGA is definitely a slot squat though (as are PVD, ALB and to a lesser extent ORH). That being said, it does make DL more of an option for connections, notably in the Virginia/North Carolina area where ATL/DTW are a bit out of the way.

As someone routing out of ALB all the time, these flights are filling up regularly. ALB dumped the 1x/day MSP and picked up the 3x/day LGA and fares overall are high and planes are full (I haven't gotten the ALB/ATL upgrade as a PM in months... used to be easy). So it might be squatting...but I also am super thankful for way more connection points.
Old Jun 12, 22, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Cory6188 View Post
BDL is my home airport (I live 20 mins away), and I still wouldnt even think of booking this. This flight is going to be the first to get delayed or axed with ATC issues (which, NYC being what it is makes it almost a given), and the headache of being stuck and having a car parked at BDL when you could just be on your way driving home from LGA makes this a non-starter. Its about a 2 hour drive, without traffic (which admittedly can be a headache of its own, but youre not at the mercy of ATC in that case).

I could *maybe* see it for JFK with international connections from BDL, but LGA? Not a chance. For anywhere you can fly from LGA, youd be way better off flying via ATL/DTW/MSP with a heck of a lot more predictable reliability.
BDL-JFK was operated by Comair with a CRJ and yes it was the first to get axed. I would take that flight departing BDL but never headed to BDL since I did not want to get stranded at JFK with no alternatives.
Old Jun 13, 22, 12:30 am

Programs: MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, UA Silver-peon. Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
there is currently no scheduled service from BDL to ANY of the 3 main NYC airports, so that at least makes this announcement quasi-interesting.

I feel like UA / CO had to have flown BDL-EWR at some point but can't pinpoint when it ceased. Anyone know which carrier was the last to operate a BDL-NYC route?

[edit: 2018 is when United pulled out. I should have read the TPG article first before I posted. doh! ]
Old Jun 13, 22, 5:40 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
This really annoys me. If they want to maintain slots at LGA, they should return to MHT. Its not that much longer but its long enough to provide meaningful service to those of us who want to Live Free or Die.
m907, ohhleary, noah and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 22, 5:51 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer View Post
there is currently no scheduled service from BDL to ANY of the 3 main NYC airports, so that at least makes this announcement quasi-interesting.

I feel like UA / CO had to have flown BDL-EWR at some point but can't pinpoint when it ceased. Anyone know which carrier was the last to operate a BDL-NYC route?

[edit: 2018 is when United pulled out. I should have read the TPG article first before I posted. doh! ]
In the same vein, that flight was nearly always delayed, if not outright canceled, every time I saw it on the departures board. Felt almost pointless for UA to try and keep it on the schedule.
Old Jun 13, 22, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Cory6188 View Post
This flight is going to be the first to get delayed or axed with ATC issues (which, NYC being what it is makes it almost a given)
Nah, they can just go VFR if ATC has any hangups. 😉

But it's not without precedent...

Eighty8MPH likes this.
Old Jun 13, 22, 7:00 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA PP , IHG Diamond Ambassador
Bummer that this route isnt to JFK, as that would have provided many more transcon options to the west coast.
Old Jun 13, 22, 9:38 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DLASflyer View Post
Delta will add a new flagship route in September from LGA to BDL. At 101 miles, it will be LaGuardia's shortest route on any carrier and one of Delta's shortest anywhere.

Otherwise known as slot squatting.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/laguar...hortest-route/
How is a 101-mile route designed largely for connecting traffic a "flagship" route?
Old Jun 13, 22, 10:09 am

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: Delta PM, AA PLT, UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC View Post
How is a 101-mile route designed largely for connecting traffic a "flagship" route?
I think the use of "flagship route" was tongue in cheek based on the later comment about the route mainly being used for "slot squatting."

Originally Posted by mersk862 View Post

That was my thought too. One of the best markets for this route may be connections to DCA for those who prefer to stay with DL though I don't know how preferable this will be over the nonstop on AA between BDL and DCA, especially when you factor in the extra time and risk by adding the connection (especially via LGA).
Old Jun 13, 22, 10:09 am

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC View Post
you get to use the "Flagship" lounge at BDL
Ascii likes this.
Old Jun 13, 22, 11:51 am

Programs: DL Silver peon
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post
I think the use of "flagship route" was tongue in cheek based on the later comment about the route mainly being used for "slot squatting."
Really, do posters have to add the "/s" tag to every post that contains a clearly-absurd statement?

Search this Thread