FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta Airline Providing Hotel Accommodations? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2082494-delta-airline-providing-hotel-accommodations.html)

papichurrroo Jun 9, 2022 11:42 pm

Delta Airline Providing Hotel Accommodations?

Hello,

First time poster here. Please let me know if I placed this in the wrong thread/community. I will be flying Delta from PDX to DFW with a connection in MSP. The layover is 35 minutes and it is the last flight from MSP to DFW. I am assuming I am going to miss this connection since I expect 15 minutes to get off the plane. 10 minutes to walk to the gate and 15 minutes prior to departure for the Gates to close. Would Delta provide or at least attempt to provide me hotel accommodations for the night with whoever they're contracted with? I have never been in a scenario where an airline provides hotel accommodations. Would I be expected to put a deposit for the room if Delta does get me a room?

Mwenenzi Jun 10, 2022 12:23 am

A question https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...-skymiles-665/

chgoeditor Jun 13, 2022 11:46 am

Moving this to the Delta forum.

chgoeditor
co-mod, Info Desk

The Situation Jun 13, 2022 12:00 pm

I would not assume you would miss this connection. DL knows if your inbound flight is on the ground and will generally hold the last flight of the night if they know you are on your way (within reason of course). If your inbound flight gets delayed, especially if due to operational issues, they will likely provide you a hotel. My inbound was delayed a few weeks ago and I received a text message mid flight from DL with a link to select the hotel I wanted. There was probably half a dozen hotels to choose from ranging from a Hampton Inn to a Radisson.

hi55us Jun 13, 2022 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by papichurrroo (Post 34322750)
Hello,

First time poster here. Please let me know if I placed this in the wrong thread/community. I will be flying Delta from PDX to DFW with a connection in MSP. The layover is 35 minutes and it is the last flight from MSP to DFW. I am assuming I am going to miss this connection since I expect 15 minutes to get off the plane. 10 minutes to walk to the gate and 15 minutes prior to departure for the Gates to close. Would Delta provide or at least attempt to provide me hotel accommodations for the night with whoever they're contracted with? I have never been in a scenario where an airline provides hotel accommodations. Would I be expected to put a deposit for the room if Delta does get me a room?

1. Has there been a schedule change since you booked the flight? If so I would call in and ask for a different routing, unless you're looking to get stuck in MSP for some reason.
2. Are there other flights that night with connections through different hubs? IE flying PDX-SLC-DFW if your flight out of PDX is delayed.
3. If there is a delay due to weather issues, Delta will not provide any hotel. Even if the weather does not impact your flight directly. Let's say your PDX-MSP flight is coming from JFK earlier in the delay and there's a weather related delay at JFK, causing your flight to be delayed, you will be up the creek (unless you purchase trip insurance).

Air Houston Jun 13, 2022 8:47 pm

Your flights into. MSP will probably arrive early, allowing you enough time to make the connection.

straychicken Jun 13, 2022 8:56 pm

I had a 35 min connection in SLC on May 28. Flight was delayed. Before I landed I already had an text from Delta with a link to choose a hotel (we were obviously not gonna make it). We picked a hotel took the shuttle over, showed them the voucher number and my ID.

Mountain Explorer Jun 13, 2022 9:20 pm

DL pads its schedules, you'll probably arrive early. The last flight of the night will not close 15 mins early if there are connecting passengers still missing. Most likely you won't miss the connection.

ekozie Jun 14, 2022 6:41 am

Doors close at T-10, despite what the app says.

Source: lots of experience running through airports.

lindros2 Jun 14, 2022 7:06 am

I just got an auto hotel accommodation email yesterday. They’re being liberal with them now

DLASflyer Jun 14, 2022 7:09 am

Setting aside whether you will actually miss your connection, Delta generally only provides hotels if the delayed flight is a result of maintenance, staffing or other controllables. If the first flight is delayed due to weather or air traffic control, you are unlikely to receive a hotel. Even if the delay is Delta's fault, there's no guarantee there will be space at Delta's contracted hotels. Sometimes they refuse to issue a voucher on the account of availability or give you a voucher to a hotel which does not actually have any space. In short, it's a crap shoot.