Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Premium Select vs. AF Premium Economy

Old Jun 9, 2022, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold

So we all know PS on DL right now is literally just a larger seat. But apparently there are rumors DL is improving service this summer.

Assuming DL gets back to at least plated meals in PS, would that at least get them on par with AF? Or is AF Premium Economy even better than that right now?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Bumping
Old Jul 21, 2022, 3:09 am

Programs: FB Gold
I have not flown DL Premium Select.

But depending on the route/aircraft, the AF Premium Economy is not worth it. The majority fleet of 777s (COI configuration excepted) have an unconfortable fixed-shell PE seat that slides and does not recline. It's acceptable for a day flight, but impossible for sleep. The A330/A350/787 have a newer PE seat that reclines better and thus is an improvement.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 10:21 am

Just returned from transatlantic flight to/from Portugal.
I had wanted to purchase PS for both outbound and return since I had often enjoyed it on LAX to JFK runs. However, I couldn't get two PS seats for return so I had to purchased PS for outbound and C+ for return. So disappointed with PS . Paid extra for PS thinking it would be upgraded seat and food service. Not. Worth. It. Food service is the exactly the same as main and C+. Better deal to just get C+ bulkhead seats. Especially, if you are auto upgraded to C+ from Main. Never making the mistake to spend extra money to purchase PS again.
ChevyCruze likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 10:23 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
If plated meals end up back in PS, flyertalk will be the first to know.

But I wouldn't be holding my breath.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 10:54 am
Original Poster

So it sounds like food is better on AF PE, but seats are better in DL PS?
Old Jul 22, 2022, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
So it sounds like food is better on AF PE, but seats are better in DL PS?
AF PE gets same meal choices as coach from what I understand and only have different appetizer/dessert options.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 11:23 am

The flight was initially an 11 pm Delta booked AF flight that was cancelled via email (thank God my husband just happened to be on his lap top) and changed to an earlier Delta flight leaving at 9 pm. (But that is a whole different story since this was done at 7:00 pm and we were in Manhattan). I understood that the food service would be slightly better in PS than Main although not served on plates. I now know this is only true on AF and not Delta. I just don't see the upside of Delta PS when the product is compared to Delta C+. Didn't get to experience PE on AF.
doubleA likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Traciely
The flight was initially an 11 pm Delta booked AF flight that was cancelled via email (thank God my husband just happened to be on his lap top) and changed to an earlier Delta flight leaving at 9 pm. (But that is a whole different story since this was done at 7:00 pm and we were in Manhattan). I understood that the food service would be slightly better in PS than Main although not served on plates. I now know this is only true on AF and not Delta. I just don't see the upside of Delta PS when the product is compared to Delta C+. Didn't get to experience PE on AF.
The hard product is fairly different. C+ seats are the same as coach with somewhat more legroom and a little more recline. PS seats are wider, have more recline than C+ seats and a footrest. For those who care about status, PS also has a 50% MQM bonus while C+ does not.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The wider seat (plus wider armrest) is more than enough reason for many people to pay the premium, as is the "deeper" seat (more room for your butt). If you're a couple and can get a 2-seater by the window and one of you is smaller, then the wider seat may not be that valuable. YMMV, as always.
HAPPYLIFE and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 4:12 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Natl Exec Elite, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diam
Originally Posted by Traciely
Your summation is the collective agreement, PS sucks and this is why we're displeased with GUC displacement.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 7:49 am

My $0.02: DL hard product is better, so easier to sleep going east. AF soft product is better, so nicer experience for daytime flight going west.

Overall I was disappointed with the PE service on DL all around. Same meal as economy, have to walk to the back to use the lav, drinks service was limited to one drink only, overheard a flight attendant tell a pax that they din’t have vodka in the cart and didn’t have time to go look elsewhere, etc etc… essentially Delta has not told the flight attendants that the P in PE stands for “premium”.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:16 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles | Platinum
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
If plated meals end up back in PS, flyertalk will be the first to know.

But I wouldn't be holding my breath.
Multiple service rumors have surfaced, but without an official statement from Delta, I won't believe it.

Additioanlly, people continue to purchase or "upgrade" to this fare, even without enhanced service. Why should Delta spend their cash to improve an experience customers already value?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: Delta, Chase UR, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Minnyappleus
Multiple service rumors have surfaced, but without an official statement from Delta, I won't believe it.

Additioanlly, people continue to purchase or "upgrade" to this fare, even without enhanced service. Why should Delta spend their cash to improve an experience customers already value?
I purchased this service before checking FlyerTalk, thinking that I would be getting upgraded meal service as I had when I booked PS in 2019. I will not in the future if I am served economy meals. I suspect that I am not alone; it will either get re-priced at a lower level or service will be restored.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
I actually like PS.
End of the day, the benefit of a better seat is feeling better upon arrival.
TATL, this means minimal jetlag. PS scores here (A350 and 767-400).

And at my age, it's not hard to feel like crap.
PS ATL<>AMS and ATL<>LHR were really good for me.
Eastbound (USA > EU/UK) amenities were better, but Westbound (home for me) had better FA's.

Note - I clearly prefer business class, and KLM has been awesome on the 787-10. Now that they're back to the 777, I would much prefer Delta... except... 3M3 craft...
HAPPYLIFE likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.