FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Mess at ATL this morning (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2082096-mess-atl-morning.html)

ryandc99 Jun 7, 2022 5:35 am

Mess at ATL this morning

I thought I had seen a long CLEAR line before, but nothing tops today. Is this normal now?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1c4c90894e.jpg

MichaelKade Jun 7, 2022 5:49 am

How long was the regular Precheck line? With a CLEAR line that long, it's a fair shot that standard Precheck may actually be faster.

sydneyracquelle Jun 7, 2022 6:16 am

International (F) is way faster in the mornings as most international flights are later in the day.

Orange County Commuter Jun 7, 2022 6:44 am

Originally Posted by MichaelKade (Post 34314300)
How long was the regular Precheck line? With a CLEAR line that long, it's a fair shot that standard Precheck may actually be faster.

Actually having tested it couple of times I would almost guarantee it. What I do is pick out some person getting in the other line at the same time I pick my line Then I periodically see where the are. If I made the error of picking clear they always get to ID check before me.

And right now the wait times are showing longer at International that for South Pre-check (they don't bother to tell you how much time paying for Clear costs you :) )

ryandc99 Jun 7, 2022 6:55 am

Originally Posted by MichaelKade (Post 34314300)

It did look worse it was totally wrapped thru almost 3/4 of the queue they have setup.

Cory6188 Jun 7, 2022 7:31 am

How long did the wait end up being?

ryandc99 Jun 7, 2022 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Cory6188 (Post 34314535)
How long did the wait end up being?

It took me about 40 mins to get thru the CLEAR line. Not a huge deal as I still had a few mins to visit the skyclub, but good to know in case you are not used to such a wait.

krazykanuck Jun 7, 2022 7:57 am

How does this differ from the usual cluster eff that ATL is every day ending in -day?

ATL is hands down my least favorite airport in the US to be an originating pax.

Cory6188 Jun 7, 2022 8:03 am

Originally Posted by ryandc99 (Post 34314570)
It took me about 40 mins to get thru the CLEAR line. Not a huge deal as I still had a few mins to visit the skyclub, but good to know in case you are not used to such a wait.

Helpful to know. That's a heck of a line for Clear + Precheck, compared to any other airport I've been to with Precheck (let alone Clear!). Even JFK T4, insane as it is, rarely has a wait much longer than 5-10 mins for Precheck, and Clear is usually shorter than that.

Originally Posted by krazykanuck (Post 34314601)
How does this differ from the usual cluster eff that ATL is every day ending in -day?

So true. I've seen more TAs working at the ticket counter at random outstations than I have at ATL. It's a shame that DL can't/won't get their act together at their flagship hub.

ryandc99 Jun 7, 2022 8:04 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck (Post 34314601)

Maybe its just the time/day I have been flying. I typically fly late afternoon, 3pm-5pm departures out of ATL. This is my first morning departure in quite some time? Probably a year.

krazykanuck Jun 7, 2022 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Cory6188 (Post 34314616)
I've seen more TAs working at the ticket counter at random outstations than I have at ATL. It's a shame that DL can't/won't get their act together at their flagship hub.

On the rare occasion I'm forced to originate in ATL I usually go to the non-Sky Priority desks since its generally faster. Last time I was in ATL which was in Feb for Hops in the Hanger I actually flew out of CHA and connected at ATL rather than originate there.

rylan Jun 7, 2022 8:47 am

Guess I'm spoiled in BOS... on a 'bad' day the Clear Precheck line is perhaps 5 min to get to the security agent. The wait for the metal detector is almost always longer than going through the Clear process.

DiverDave Jun 7, 2022 10:11 am

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 34314748)
Guess I'm spoiled in BOS... on a 'bad' day the Clear Precheck line is perhaps 5 min to get to the security agent. The wait for the metal detector is almost always longer than going through the Clear process.

This is only going to get worse as multiple credit cards are now offering Clear basically for free.

That's in addition to Delta's stockpile of Diamond members that has been accrued over the past three years of status and MQM rollover. Which means the Delta hubs have a lot of Clear customers, particularly ATL.

:D

David

dcadwell Jun 7, 2022 10:20 am

Originally Posted by ryandc99 (Post 34314621)
Maybe its just the time/day I have been flying. I typically fly late afternoon, 3pm-5pm departures out of ATL. This is my first morning departure in quite some time? Probably a year.

It's been consistently like this on my last few AM departures. Mostly why I try to avoid them if I can.

Justin026 Jun 7, 2022 11:04 am

Morning peak period (early) can be painful. I went through at 9:45 AM this morning with no Clear line at all and what looked like 5-10 mins in the adjacent Precheck line. Everything past security was a screwup by Delta, but that's for another thread.