Mess at ATL this morning

Old Jun 7, 22, 12:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Airlines with non-stops to where I'm going
Not a great option if you're parking but otherwise security at the International Terminal is often faster than Domestic Terminal during the AM rush hour on weekdays.
Old Jun 7, 22, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by dcstudent View Post
Not a great option if you're parking but otherwise security at the International Terminal is often faster than Domestic Terminal during the AM rush hour on weekdays.
I use the F international terminal exclusively. The only time it is an issue is with checked bags on a DL domestic flight or domestic connection. Then bag goes to domestic and car is parked at international. Also with checked luggage on an airline without a counter at the international terminal.
Old Jun 7, 22, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I've spent way more time transiting ATL vs. actually being an O&D passenger at ATL but I'm always amazed at how much a cluster ATL is in those instances.

Last time we were there for a wedding and went to get the rental car and then it almost took us an hour to get back up to the terminal to pick up my brother-in-law and sister-in-law who landed after us (we would've been better off just waiting for them and then going all together to get the rental car).

Similarly on departure that trip I recall the PreCheck line being insanely long.

I'm spoiled being RDU based where I can usually roll up to the airport ~10 minutes before boarding time and get through PreCheck with time to spare to go to the SkyClub for a quick coffee or drink
mot29, DiverDave, cmd320 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 7, 22, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ryandc99 View Post
I thought I had seen a long CLEAR line before, but nothing tops today. Is this normal now?
My, my, my! What a mess! Very long lines! Things will get better soon.

If you are PreCheck or Clear. You have go through the security. Not go to standard security screening lines.
Old Jun 7, 22, 8:33 pm

I routinely saw the clear line longer than the precheck line at the south checkpoint. As an atlanta based flyer I find it quicker going to the international side; whether the pre-check line is open or not.
Old Jun 7, 22, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
Yesterday (Monday) around noon was only marginally better. There were maybe 5 people ahead of me, but it still took 10 minutes to get through Pre+Clear and get both of my bins on the other side. It seemed like the agents didn't know (or care to learn) how to use the automated machine.
Old Jun 7, 22, 10:30 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dcstudent View Post
I think its a resounding start going to INTL. I typically park in Gold Reserve so I can park in the INTL Gold Reserve too and will probably just do that instead.
Old Jun 8, 22, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
My experience with Clear at Atlanta the other day was negative, with a nasty TSA agent as well.
Old Jun 8, 22, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by ryandc99 View Post
I think its a resounding start going to INTL. I typically park in Gold Reserve so I can park in the INTL Gold Reserve too and will probably just do that instead.
I would be interested in learning more about Gold Reserve. I have never heard of this and found very limited information on google. Where is the lot, how does it work, and where do I sign up? I travel through the airport weekly normally parking in daily on the domestic side or Fast Park on the international side. Any info you can share is appreciated
Old Jun 8, 22, 8:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by KRUXED View Post
I would be interested in learning more about Gold Reserve. I have never heard of this and found very limited information on google. Where is the lot, how does it work, and where do I sign up? I travel through the airport weekly normally parking in daily on the domestic side or Fast Park on the international side. Any info you can share is appreciated
There is a Gold Lot at the South Terminal (currently closed for construction for another 10 months or so), a Gold Lot at the North Terminal, and a Gold Lot at the International Terminal. Once you join, you get a transponder for your car that is read each time you enter/exit. The rate is $36 per day. There is an annual minimum use of somewhere around $400. You are guaranteed that a space will be available. Overall, it is a wonderful program.
KRUXED likes this.
Old Jun 8, 22, 8:15 pm

We went both the general and the pre check lines this morning sometime around 10 am. Both were pretty short. An agent printed us passes last night for our new flight today. None of us had TSA pre so we went to the main line. But they wouldn't scan (and we couldn't get them to load in the app) so we had to go to the check in desk and get new ones. These showed TSA pre so we went to that line. It didn't seem any faster than the main line.
Old Jun 9, 22, 6:47 am

Programs: World of Hyatt | Globalist
Correct me if Iím wrong, but at ATL International terminal, even with TSA PreCheck, you have to go through security with your laptops/large electronics separated out from your carry-on. The TSA agent that checks your ID and boarding pass will give you a laminated paper slip indicating that youíre a PreCheck traveler, which only allows you to walk through a different x-ray machine, whereas your carry on items still go into the same machine as all of the other regular travelers.
Old Jun 9, 22, 7:16 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Aeroplan Elite 75K
Originally Posted by eldekeu View Post
Correct me if Iím wrong, but at ATL International terminal, even with TSA PreCheck, you have to go through security with your laptops/large electronics separated out from your carry-on. The TSA agent that checks your ID and boarding pass will give you a laminated paper slip indicating that youíre a PreCheck traveler, which only allows you to walk through a different x-ray machine, whereas your carry on items still go into the same machine as all of the other regular travelers.
Most "PreCheck light" checkpoints still allow you to leave that stuff in. They put a marker through the x-ray ahead and behind your bag. You still get stuck in the same line as non-PreCheck travelers, hence PreCheck light.
Old Jun 9, 22, 7:20 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by DLASflyer View Post
Most "PreCheck light" checkpoints still allow you to leave that stuff in. They put a marker through the x-ray ahead and behind your bag. You still get stuck in the same line as non-PreCheck travelers, hence PreCheck light.
That has not been my experience in ATL. ATL PreCheck light is pretty haphazard. My last time through was followed by an email discussion with the FSD.

Other locals like OAK have been much better.
Old Jun 9, 22, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by DLASflyer View Post
TSA at F does not use markers. Once the dedicated TSA lane closes, all electronics come out of all bags, Pre-check or not. This has been my experience and I use F for all flights. Metal detectors are also set to a sensitivity where Birkenstock buckles set them off. At other airports iíve used the buckles donít set the alarm off.

Search this Thread