Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Global Cert upgrade suggestions - Asia??

Old Jun 6, 2022, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

I have some global upgrade certs, I want to use for my wife and I - preferably for a long flight - maybe Australia or elsewhere in Asia.

I am looking for suggestions - would like to go towards the end of the year 2022 - dates are 100% flexible, and willing to avoid all peak times. Hoping for suggestions on scoring business or first class upgrades for long international flight. I have only done Europe destinations pre-covid.

Thanks for ideas that will give me the best chance of success.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by chromedome00
I have some global upgrade certs, I want to use for my wife and I - preferably for a long flight - maybe Australia or elsewhere in Asia.

I am looking for suggestions - would like to go towards the end of the year 2022 - dates are 100% flexible, and willing to avoid all peak times. Hoping for suggestions on scoring business or first class upgrades for long international flight. I have only done Europe destinations pre-covid.

Thanks for ideas that will give me the best chance of success.
Space in general will be difficult to find, plus (unless upgrade space is available at booking), you will only get one class upgrade to start and upgrade space at T-24 would likely be a long shot. . Delta does not offer "First Class". Just Delta One

Last edited by Mr. Tickets; Jun 6, 2022 at 4:34 pm
Old Jun 6, 2022, 6:32 pm

I am going to Tokyo next week. Booked in PS and upgraded to D1 Suite (A350) upon booking by using GUC both ways. RT PS fare to Japan is only ~$2.2k these days. I just checked some random days in December and saw similar ~$2.2k RT PS fare widely available too. You should be able to confirm D1 upgrade (GUC) to Tokyo very easily.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 8:53 pm

The addition of one class and new PS cabin, added with the devaluation of one year expiration from qualifying (rather than when from selected as a benefit) has in my opinion really ruined the GUC benefit. Unfortunately, Diamond is more like cubic zirconia these days
Old Jun 7, 2022, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MonAmQB
I am going to Tokyo next week. Booked in PS and upgraded to D1 Suite (A350) upon booking by using GUC both ways. RT PS fare to Japan is only ~$2.2k these days. I just checked some random days in December and saw similar ~$2.2k RT PS fare widely available too. You should be able to confirm D1 upgrade (GUC) to Tokyo very easily.
Thanks for that idea - and to others - yes, I forgot Delta had business and D1 - not First. Basically, I just want something close to lie flat for the super long flight there and back.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:27 am
Original Poster

One other question - is it still the same that this is a best effort kind of thing? If I were to book a flight to Tokyo as MonAmQB has done, and apply my certificate at time of booking - is it still possible I will get bumped by a paying customer? If so, does that make booking further in advance more of a risk?
Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Any interest in South Africa/Kenya? Have found a lot of KLM availability on those flights, which allows you (on KLM only) to go straight from a 600 dollar economy ticket to lie-flat business class.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for that idea - and to others - yes, I forgot Delta had business and D1 - not First. Basically, I just want something close to lie flat for the super long flight there and back.
DL does not have a separate Business class product from it's D1 product on it's metal. D1 is essentially the DL business class product on DL metal. If a DL marketed itin involves partner metal instead of DL metal, partner flights may listed as Business instead of D1. First Class on DL metal consists of basic recliner seating and is flown on domestic and short-haul international routes. There are times when they use D1 equipment on certain domestic routes where the D1 cabin will be marketed as First Class. There are also some transcon and long-haul Hawaii routes that have D1 equipment and will actually be marketed as D1 (and not First Class). There was a time when DL used BusinessElite, Business, and First Class marketing for it's flights. But these have been simplified to just D1 and First Class marketing designations.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 7, 2022 at 12:23 pm
Old Jun 7, 2022, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SamOF
Any interest in South Africa/Kenya? Have found a lot of KLM availability on those flights, which allows you (on KLM only) to go straight from a 600 dollar economy ticket to lie-flat business class.
Yes, SamOF everything is a possibility at this point - wife wants a vacation after sitting home "forever" and i do too - so if I am going to use GUC, i want it to be a long flight anywhere. She just mentioned SA, and Singapore is on the list too.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 1:48 pm

One other question - is it still the same that this is a best effort kind of thing? If I were to book a flight to Tokyo as MonAmQB has done, and apply my certificate at time of booking - is it still possible I will get bumped by a paying customer? If so, does that make booking further in advance more of a risk?
I don't think you will be bumped by a paying customer. Once you clear the D1 upgrade, they reissue your ticket. The D1 suite will be yours. If DL bumps you out of that seat involuntarily (extremely unlikely) for any reason on their end, you will definitely get your GUC back (you can ask for a brand new exp date) and ask for more compensation.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MonAmQB
I don't think you will be bumped by a paying customer. Once you clear the D1 upgrade, they reissue your ticket. The D1 suite will be yours. If DL bumps you out of that seat involuntarily (extremely unlikely) for any reason on their end, you will definitely get your GUC back (you can ask for a brand new exp date) and ask for more compensation.
OK, maybe I was getting the terms confirmed and cleared mixed up - when I see "must be confirmed 24 hours before departure." that means I have to apply for this upgrade that far in advance, but theoretically, if I make the reservation now, and apply the certificate now, I should know "now" that I am getting my upgrade? I guess I am trying to avoid planning for a long trip with nice seating, only to find out at the last minute I am in coach/comfort plus. Does the D1 upgrade clear right away on DL and partner flights, or does it depend on the partner?

Don't get me wrong - not trying to sound spoiled, just if I tell the wife she gets to fly up front for international (she never has), I would hate for her to be disappointed because the upgrade we applied for months in advance and counted on, fell through.

I know I can call the medallion line, but I am sure they are swamped with summer travel, so thanks for the help all.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 4:41 pm

OK, maybe I was getting the terms confirmed and cleared mixed up - when I see "must be confirmed 24 hours before departure." that means I have to apply for this upgrade that far in advance, but theoretically, if I make the reservation now, and apply the certificate now, I should know "now" that I am getting my upgrade? I guess I am trying to avoid planning for a long trip with nice seating, only to find out at the last minute I am in coach/comfort plus. Does the D1 upgrade clear right away on DL and partner flights, or does it depend on the partner?
You can find out whether there is upgrade space available right now by calling or being logged in where youll see the tag saying that upgrade is available with a global upgrade certificate. With this approach, youll book / pay for the flights and apply the upgrade. Youll also want to make sure your ticket is reissued in the upgraded class. Your upgrade will be certain.

If there is no upgrade space available when you call, you can still purchase the tickets but youll just be waitlisted for the upgrade. This may clear before check-in the day prior to your trip or if that doesnt happen, you might still clear at the gate. In both of these cases, you may or may not ever clear to the upgraded seat.

Given your flexibility of dates and destination, you could take the first route above and search for an option with the two upgrade-able seats. Youll then be certain of having confirmed upgraded seats.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cre95
You can find out whether there is upgrade space available right now by calling or being logged in where youll see the tag saying that upgrade is available with a global upgrade certificate. With this approach, youll book / pay for the flights and apply the upgrade. Youll also want to make sure your ticket is reissued in the upgraded class. Your upgrade will be certain.

If there is no upgrade space available when you call, you can still purchase the tickets but youll just be waitlisted for the upgrade. This may clear before check-in the day prior to your trip or if that doesnt happen, you might still clear at the gate. In both of these cases, you may or may not ever clear to the upgraded seat.

Given your flexibility of dates and destination, you could take the first route above and search for an option with the two upgrade-able seats. Youll then be certain of having confirmed upgraded seats.
Great! Thanks for the confirmation!
Old Jun 8, 2022, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Final question if anyone knows...

I see that I can easily do South Africa, Korea, or Japan and use GUC - Singapore doesn't show anything, maybe due to partner airline from Korea, and Australia shows nothing. Any hints for finding GUC availability for Singapore and/or Australia other than randomly trying dates? Australia seems to have zero - maybe they are all blocked off and not available at all? I know Covid and the economy have really changed availability of flights, so it could just be my timing. It would be nice if we could do broader GUC searches on delta.com.

Thanks again all!
Old Jun 8, 2022, 4:21 pm

Would you please explain how to use a GUC on a KLM flight to South Africa? Would you book through Delta or KLM? Could I call Delta, identify the KLM flights, then both book and apply the GUC?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.