Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been turned away from the Delta lounge for arriving too early?

Old Jun 6, 22, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Any experiences? I am curious how stringently Delta is enforcing the new June 1 three-hour Sky Club access rule.

Delta Reserve and PM flying ATL-MSP-YYC on June 19, and we have a separate JAX-ATL positioning flight that morning. Will get to the lounge 4 hours before the second flight. I know I cannot combine the PNRs. but if I show we are technically connecting to an international flight, do you think we would get access? EDIT: I do know Delta allows lounge access after arrival, but only one of us qualifies, and would hate to burn a pass for this if I can avoid it.

Last edited by pfreet; Jun 6, 22 at 5:25 am Reason: clarification
Old Jun 6, 22, 5:31 am

Programs: DL DM 1 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Go eat some real food at One Flew South after you arrive from Jax and you won't have to worry about it. Then you won't have to put up with the garbage the ATL Skyclubs serve.
Old Jun 6, 22, 5:33 am

I was in two smaller clubs with somewhat loud agents at the desk at the end of last week. I heard two people trying to get in early one in each club in both cases they were told the policy but then told an exception would be made since the policy just changed. The wording was close to the same from both agents so I wonder if there is a bit of a grace period or maybe delta gave some authority to the agents to make a judgment call in the early days. In both cases it was a single somewhat elderly traveler trying to get in a fairly uncrowned club.
pfreet likes this.
Old Jun 6, 22, 7:30 am

Programs: DL 2xMillion Miler, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by estedman View Post
Go eat some real food at One Flew South after you arrive from Jax and you won't have to worry about it. Then you won't have to put up with the garbage the ATL Skyclubs serve.
Last time I was in Term E (flight to AMS), it was closed. They can't get people to work.
Old Jun 6, 22, 8:35 am

Programs: AA,AC,DL,F9,UA,WN
Yes, I was in the Orlando SkyClub last Friday and the couple checking-in in front of me was told to come back in 15 minutes because of the new policy.
Old Jun 6, 22, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
If they steer you to the kiosks, as was my experience, you'll definitely be denied.
photojojo likes this.
Old Jun 6, 22, 3:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
More curious if anyone has encountered issues accessing on arrival. Planning on doing it on Friday and hoping the agents in SEA aren't misinformed on the new access rules.
Old Jun 6, 22, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pfreet View Post
Any experiences? I am curious how stringently Delta is enforcing the new June 1 three-hour Sky Club access rule.

Delta Reserve and PM flying ATL-MSP-YYC on June 19, and we have a separate JAX-ATL positioning flight that morning. Will get to the lounge 4 hours before the second flight. I know I cannot combine the PNRs. but if I show we are technically connecting to an international flight, do you think we would get access? EDIT: I do know Delta allows lounge access after arrival, but only one of us qualifies, and would hate to burn a pass for this if I can avoid it.
You are connecting, so you're good: "Guests will be able to access Clubs anytime within three hours of their scheduled departure time (and connecting customers can continue to access Clubs at any time prior to departure)."

O/H
Old Jun 6, 22, 3:34 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard View Post
You are connecting, so you're good: "Guests will be able to access Clubs anytime within three hours of their scheduled departure time (and connecting customers can continue to access Clubs at any time prior to departure)."

O/H
But they are on separate tickets, so technically not a connection. I would expect most agents to see it as a connection, but the kiosks, probably not.
Old Jun 6, 22, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL DM
You are allowed access on arrival. Just show them that boarding pass. You are covered. Done.
dw, jiburi, gretchendz and 6 others like this.
Old Jun 6, 22, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver, AS 75K 15-22
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
You are allowed access on arrival. Just show them that boarding pass. You are covered. Done.
If you are using an app for boarding pass, make sure to get a screenshot of your boarding pass, as it might be gone before your app refreshes. You will still have access but it will take a lot more time for agent to pulling up your record.

Jiburi

As for entry restrictions, I overheard a couple who was 15 minutes early to DEN lounge but was allowed entry as occupancy wasn't a problem. The agent clearly indicated, "You are 15 minutes early, but we will gladly welcome you in now".
Old Jun 6, 22, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by CPMaverick View Post
But they are on separate tickets, so technically not a connection. I would expect most agents to see it as a connection, but the kiosks, probably not.
If it's two completely separate tickets I think it's very unlikely the kiosk would consider it a connection.

I recently had a "connection" (actually, the connection was in another city and my destination per the ticket was the location I was trying to enter the SC at, although my time at my actual intended destination was close to 6 hours, but my time at the "destination" city based on the ticket purchased was about 2 hours). Anyway, when I entered and showed my boarding pass for the flight I came in on, since I was having problems getting the next bp, the agent didn't see my next flight in the system and they asked me if I was just arriving.
Old Jun 6, 22, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
This assumes arrival on DL or otherwise qualifying to enter. When someone has separate tickets, there's a good chance that the positioning flight uses a different carrier.

BTW, it's nice to "see" you here--it's been a while.
Old Jun 6, 22, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL PM as of 12/8/2016
Does the Delta AMEX Reserve give your access to clubs upon arrival? I thought you only got sky club access at the departure and/or connecting airport but not the destination airport.
Old Jun 6, 22, 7:18 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP
I'm not sure if connecting on separate tickets where the incoming carrier is not DL or a partner has been answered.

Pre-policy I flew LGW-JFK on JetBlue and had a five hour layover before a Delta JFK-DEN flight. I went to the Centurion Lounge, which has a similar policy, and they took my inbound JetBlue boarding pass no problem, but they are airline-agnostic.
Occupationalhazard likes this.

Search this Thread