Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been turned away from the Delta lounge for arriving too early?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone been turned away from the Delta lounge for arriving too early?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2022, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
I thought the new rules eliminated access for arriving pax. Have they changed again?
After deplaning from a one-way nonstop itinerary, with an entire afternoon until my GE interview, I stopped by an ATL club. Kiosk was fine with that.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Sat for 25 minutes in the “Penalty Box” at MCO club despite flying FC and with MM status. “No exceptions” said the agent.

when finally admitted found the club 80% empty.

The agents were extremely apologetic but “were just following orders.”

Sigh!
Old Jun 8, 2022, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yogimax
Sat for 25 minutes in the “Penalty Box” at MCO club despite flying FC and with MM status. “No exceptions” said the agent.
I wonder if anyone has tried the "Oh, I can't go in for another 25 minutes? That's okay; I'll just wait here and chat with you!" strategy?
Old Jun 8, 2022, 6:48 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by kale73
I wonder if anyone has tried the "Oh, I can't go in for another 25 minutes? That's okay; I'll just wait here and chat with you!" strategy?
Yeah seriously. I may not talk to the agent for 25 minutes, but I might stand off to the side and stare at them for 25 mins for a scene similar to Meet The Fockers.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by mot29
I had no problem with the RDU lounge a week ago - about 30 minutes before the 3 hour time frame.
Will be curious at the end of the trip when I'm returning on the DEN-DTW red eye that departs DEN at 1255 am.
I'm swapping the car back to the folks I'm pet sitting for about 6 pm. Figured I'd use my DL reserve in the Centurion lounge first (it closes at 9 pm) and then the SkyClub (which doesn't close until 1 am. Is that the latest in the whole system?)
it actually closes at 12:15am
Old Jun 8, 2022, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by estedman
Go eat some real food at One Flew South after you arrive from Jax and you won't have to worry about it. Then you won't have to put up with the garbage the ATL Skyclubs serve.
This is a great point. I’ve started to realize that at least when I’m on work travel (and therefore OPM), there isn’t a point in going to the overcrowded SC when I could just got to an airport restaurant and get better food and drink that I can expense out.

Of course on personal travel I’m still going to the SkyClub but recently for work I’ve walked into an overcrowded SC (and UC) and just walked back out to a restaurant/bar instead
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787
This is a great point. I’ve started to realize that at least when I’m on work travel (and therefore OPM), there isn’t a point in going to the overcrowded SC when I could just got to an airport restaurant and get better food and drink that I can expense out.

Of course on personal travel I’m still going to the SkyClub but recently for work I’ve walked into an overcrowded SC (and UC) and just walked back out to a restaurant/bar instead
When many of the lounges were at capacity over spring break, the restaurants in the terminals were worse. And you’d have to wait for your food from the kitchen. Of course, you can just tell them you have a flight to catch and hope they’ll expedite.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by ijgordon
When many of the lounges were at capacity over spring break, the restaurants in the terminals were worse. And you’d have to wait for your food from the kitchen. Of course, you can just tell them you have a flight to catch and hope they’ll expedite.
I've sometimes found that going to a restaurant was the better option. Got my own table, no wait, and then I found a quiet place in the terminal instead of a crowded place with everyone hanging out in a confined space. It's the pricier option, but better food, and sometimes more privacy.
FabCW likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 7:36 am

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
I was early and mine gave an orange/yellow "see an ambassador" message. Was let in as 360 per policy.
Do the kiosks give a blaring red with flashing lights and sound alarm for others, or the same "see an ambassador"?
Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by FC flyer
Scheduled to fly at night, standing by in the morning. Do I have morning club access?
I am not sure why people said "Yes" to this question. I had a 8:30pm flight but stood by for a 6:30pm one. I walked into the lounge at 5:25pm and they told me that I was not allowed in for 5 more minutes.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Crossinator
I am not sure why people said "Yes" to this question. I had a 8:30pm flight but stood by for a 6:30pm one. I walked into the lounge at 5:25pm and they told me that I was not allowed in for 5 more minutes.
Um, I don't know, maybe they said "yes" because that's the policy?

Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:39 am

Programs: Delta PM
I didn't know that! I guess I should have pointed this out when they denied me access
Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Crossinator
I didn't know that! I guess I should have pointed this out when they denied me access
I'm pretty sure this was always the case from the time when the 3-hour rule was announced, although the stand-by exception wasn't in the original email release but I think it was in the FAQ pretty early on (where it still resides).
Yes, you should have reminded them. Presumably the nuances of the new policy will take a little time to be fully embedded with the agents.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
“We are not WeWork” -Delta

https://www.wsj.com/articles/delta-a...2brg1ds137wee8
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:56 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
I mean they know the problem, they admit as much in that article that the vast majority of people who access do so via an Amex.

They're gonna have to delineate between elites/paid memberships/Reserve card and the Platinum access (which I assume is what's really goosing the numbers).
jamesteroh likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.