Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Arriving LAX International AF onward on Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

If I arrive at LAX Tom Bradley International on Air France from CDG>LAX on a one ticket with checked bags do I have to drag my bags to Skyteam Delta Domestic check In Terminal? My domestic leg is a seperate ticket. Or is their a Delta check in counter at international that can print bag tags and take my bags?

Last edited by Centurion; Jun 5, 2022 at 1:39 pm
Old Jun 5, 2022, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
1. Try to get AF to check the bag through to your destination on the DL ticket. DL policy is to do this, but I'm not sure what the AF official rule is, nor whether an AF agent is likely to be willing to do this. It helps to have a printout (hard copy) of the other itinerary and ticket receipt to give to the AF agent when you check in.

1'. If the bag is checked through, you should just be able to re-drop it right after exiting customs at TBIB.

1". If the bag isn't checked through, look for a DL (or SkyTeam) service counter when you exit customs in TBIT. They should be able to check the bag if necessary, which is likely to be better than going to the check in counters.

2. If you still have the bag when you leave TBIT, look for DL curb side check in on the sidewalk outside of the terminal at the departures level. A small tip (a couple dollars for one normal bag, maybe $5 if it's large or heavy) is expected, but this can save standing in a long line inside the terminal.

3. AFAIK DL is doing check in in its own terminal(s) even for flights departing from TBIT, but this is subject to change. Nevertheless, I would expect DL to staff any
check in counter at TBIT only for departures of those flights and not at other times. Even if they're open, they might not want to check a bag for a flight leaving from their domestic terminal(s) and even if they do so, there could be more of a risk of a delayed bag, so I'd avoid doing this.

4. It's not a long walk from TBIT to the DL terminal(s). Unless this has changed recently, you can get a wheeled luggage cart for free in the baggage claim hall of international arrivals (before customs) and keep the cart until your bags are re-checked, even if you walk to the DL terminal(s) from TBIT. If it's raining, you can do the walk under roof on arrivals level, but departures level is otherwise more pleasant. (Look for elevators in TBIT.) Do NOT take the airport terminal shuttle bus.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
AF will tag bag through to DL even on separate tickets. They will do it for any carrier they have an agreement with.

At LAX, you pickup bags and walk through customs. Turn right as exit customs, this is where you drop bags tagged for onward flights. If not tagged, turn left, you must goto DL checkin at T2 to check bags. There is no DL checkin at TBIT. The bag recheck belt is manned by 3rd party vendor.

In US one must always collect bags and bring through customs. There is exception between flights on the same carrier, where both inbound/outbound flights are international. As you're changing carriers, this won't apply, even if you were connecting to a DL international flight.
obscure2k likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.