Wiki Posts
Search

GUC Upgraded Luxury Tax

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2022, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: DM Delta; VS Gold; HA Platinum; HHonors Diamond
GUC Upgraded Luxury Tax

Hi, I’m wondering if this is typical. I used three GUCs yesterday on a flight from LHR to SEA. I originally bought main cabin tickets, got upgraded to PS, and then upgraded to D1 on day of departure. Delta is now asking me for $45 per ticket for a luxury tax on being upgraded out of London using a GUC. Seems weird, but I didn’t ever use a GUC out of London ever before. Any experiences are appreciated.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyinhwn
Hi, I’m wondering if this is typical. I used three GUCs yesterday on a flight from LHR to SEA. I originally bought main cabin tickets, got upgraded to PS, and then upgraded to D1 on day of departure. Delta is now asking me for $45 per ticket for a luxury tax on being upgraded out of London using a GUC. Seems weird, but I didn’t ever use a GUC out of London ever before. Any experiences are appreciated.
Legit tax. Amount depends on class of service. You can get it refunded if you fly into LHR within 24hrs of departure. (Tax doesn't apply in that case) Simply submit copies of BPs from OAL to DL for refund .
Old Jun 3, 2022, 7:24 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
$45 tax to upgrade from Main to D1?

Seems like there's a "rants" thread for this somewhere.
hhdl and cre95 like this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
$45 tax to upgrade from Main to D1?

Seems like there's a "rants" thread for this somewhere.
Yup, that was an outrage rant for sure…*slow clap*
Old Jun 3, 2022, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If it's a TATL flight LHR-USA, luxury tax would be much more. Also, you should have paid the luxury tax when you were upgraded into PS, with it being the same for D1 as for PS so that no more money should be due.

What are the details? Were there three people originating in LHR and flying NONSTOP to SEA. all of whom were upgraded from PS to D1? Was EACH ticket charged $45? Could one of the passengers have been a child who erroneously wasn't charged APD earlier?

Finally what were the approximate dates of the upgrades into PS and then again from PS to D1? I'm wondering whether the $45 could represent a recent increase in APD.
doubleA likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If it's a TATL flight LHR-USA, luxury tax would be much more. Also, you should have paid the luxury tax when you were upgraded into PS, with it being the same for D1 as for PS so that no more money should be due.

What are the details? Were there three people originating in LHR and flying NONSTOP to SEA. all of whom were upgraded from PS to D1? Was EACH ticket charged $45? Could one of the passengers have been a child who erroneously wasn't charged APD earlier?

Finally what were the approximate dates of the upgrades into PS and then again from PS to D1? I'm wondering whether the $45 could represent a recent increase in APD.
The three of us (all adults) went from CDG-LHR-SEA-HNL. We were upgraded to PS and F on the LHR-SEA and SEA-HNL, respectively, about a month out immediately after purchasing and to D1 on the LHR-SEA segment on DoD.

Another weird thing was when we tried to board our final leg (SEA-HNL), the app said no eticket was associated with this reservation, and that led to an hour long conversation with a DL rep, which is when he mentioned the collection of the taxes.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
This itinerary is not subject to APD because you did not have a stopover in the United Kingdom.

The difference in tax sounds French, which would be EUR 42.80 per passenger between Y and any higher cabin. However, I am not sure if it is correctly charged if CDG-LHR was in Y. It might be?
flyinhwn likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The three of us (all adults) went from CDG-LHR-SEA-HNL. We were upgraded to PS and F on the LHR-SEA and SEA-HNL, respectively, about a month out immediately after purchasing and to D1 on the LHR-SEA segment on DoD.

Another weird thing was when we tried to board our final leg (SEA-HNL), the app said no eticket was associated with this reservation, and that led to an hour long conversation with a DL rep, which is when he mentioned the collection of the taxes.
You shouldn't be paying the tax at all. You're connecting at LHR. As long as connection is scheduled for less than 24 hours, you don't pay.

You're due a refund.
flyinhwn and Keith2004 like this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 11:52 am

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You shouldn't be paying the tax at all. You're connecting at LHR. As long as connection is scheduled for less than 24 hours, you don't pay.

You're due a refund.
Did not realize this!
I have 3 trips to UK this year that will fit this bill.
Should I just contact DL after my trip?
Old Jun 3, 2022, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$45 is the additional French APD/Solidarity Tax for Premium cabin fares ($48.20 vs. $3.20) and is correct. Ex-UK flights are quite a bit more punitive and currently get a $126.70 additional charge for APD on Premium cabin fares ($232.10 vs $105.40). If you want to avoid APDs, you'll have to fly out of a different country than France or UK (the Netherlands currently doesn't charge one, for example).
flyerCO and Goodoldflyer like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jun 3, 2022 at 12:13 pm
Old Jun 3, 2022, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by xliioper
$45 is the additional French APD/Solidarity Tax for Premium cabin fares ($48.20 vs. $3.20). Ex-UK flights currently get a $126.70 additional charge for APD on Premium cabin ($232.10 vs $105.40).
Ok, this makes sense. I knew $45 seemed too little. Didn't register since I avoid Paris like the coronavirus, even as a connecting airport.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Yup, that was an outrage rant for sure…*slow clap*

Yes, I do it for the applause.

I'm here all week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.