Old Jun 2, 2022, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
No PDB because we’re a few minutes late. Think we pushed 8 minutes late
Old Jun 2, 2022, 5:02 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs up PDBs coming soon in GLASS. No more plastic cups

Spoke to GA and FAs today who mentioned that PDBs will be switching to Glass cups instead of plastic cup as Delta is cutting back on waste as one of their 'green/eco friendly' goals as an airline by end of this year.

This will mean Glass PDBs but starting in 2023!
MattAus, hi55us and Minnyappleus like this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
lol I remember when they claimed that they were cutting down on waste by switching to disposable cutlery and cups.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 6:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
lol I remember when they claimed that they were cutting down on waste by switching to disposable cutlery and cups.
I thought it was due to “COVID” lol.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 7:21 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
They went Metal Reusable -> Plastic -> Bamboo and only marketed the Plastic to Bamboo transition.

Here's my prediction: DL will switch to glass for three months in 2023, bloggers will hail it as another way Delta positions themselves above the competition, then Delta will quietly eliminate it. Kind of like how glassware disappeared in Premium Economy pre-COVID and all of the bloggers were like "huh, I guess the plastic cups were a mis-cater."
Old Jun 2, 2022, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I certainly prefer glass over plastic. Feels better to hold and doesn't change the taste of beverages like plastic can.

<rant>
As for the whole green argument... its all just bs. Glass weighs more so you burn more fuel for that, but can reuse it... after washing which uses more energy. Plastic is lighter but is wasted because recycling is all a farce and most recyclables just go to a landfill or incinerator anyway. I ignore any green/sustainable press releases since its just a gimmick that some people use to pat themselves on the back to feel good. </rant>
Old Jun 2, 2022, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I wouldn't get that excited about this.

First of all FAs and GAs are notoriously bad sources of information so I'm not sure I would trust what they are saying unless they have an internal memo they are reading off of.

Second, this is actually a downgrade in my opinion. The benefit of the plastic PDB is that the FAs typically don't bother collecting them for takeoff if you aren't finished because they usually don't view it as a risk if it's not held down. So you don't have to chug your PDB if you board late.

With glass they 100% will need to collect because loose glass on takeoff is a projectile danger.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 8:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Give me the real glass, please.
Aloha1 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Duke787
I wouldn't get that excited about this.

First of all FAs and GAs are notoriously bad sources of information so I'm not sure I would trust what they are saying unless they have an internal memo they are reading off of.

Second, this is actually a downgrade in my opinion. The benefit of the plastic PDB is that the FAs typically don't bother collecting them for takeoff if you aren't finished because they usually don't view it as a risk if it's not held down. So you don't have to chug your PDB if you board late.

With glass they 100% will need to collect because loose glass on takeoff is a projectile danger.
Agree. Plastic is fine fir a PDB. International long haul people are onboard longer before needing to collect. Domestic flights, the drinks can be barely served before time to collect.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 9:31 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Nothing to this effect has been announced internally.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 9:43 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
wasn't that due to covid measures?
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Old Jun 2, 2022, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Originally Posted by atldiamond
No PDB because we’re a few minutes late. Think we pushed 8 minutes late
PDB's are the first to go... so that policy hasn't changed
Old Jun 2, 2022, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Ed said yesterday plastic was already completely eliminated onboard. Part of his completely delusional interview on CNBC.
Aloha1, DrMilano, cmd320 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 10:20 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Spoke to GA and FAs today who mentioned that PDBs will be switching to Glass cups instead of plastic cup as Delta is cutting back on waste as one of their 'green/eco friendly' goals as an airline by end of this year.

This will mean Glass PDBs but starting in 2023!
When do they get rid of the STUPID individually wrapped plastic utensils in the Sky Club?
Old Jun 2, 2022, 10:35 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
The glass PDBs, if true, are interesting as it means catering 20 more glasses on the A321/B757/B739 and 16 more glasses on many others. It seems like a lot to add, but I'm not the one stocking the carts!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.