Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Proposal for New Diamond Medallion benefit: Skip the Skyclub line?

Proposal for New Diamond Medallion benefit: Skip the Skyclub line?

Old Jun 3, 22, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by USCTrojan83 View Post
Yeah. Someone who spends $500/year to be a member (or get it via choice benefits) should have priority access as opposed to someone who simply has access to the club as one of many the many perks on their credit card.
Why? Skyclubs are merely delta-branded Amex lounges. There is literally nothing magical about "membership" regardless of how you obtain it. It's a marketing designation.
dw, RobertS975, Adelphos and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 3, 22, 4:21 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP
Has anyone seen these anywhere other than ATL? The hodgepodge of logo styles makes me think this wasn't done by corporate branding for a wide release.
Old Jun 3, 22, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by VFR View Post
Has anyone seen these anywhere other than ATL? The hodgepodge of logo styles makes me think this wasn't done by corporate branding for a wide release.
I thought and suspected the same thing. Though, it's odd as this is at ATL.
Old Jun 4, 22, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 View Post
Why? Skyclubs are merely delta-branded Amex lounges. There is literally nothing magical about "membership" regardless of how you obtain it. It's a marketing designation.
Again, people accessing the club aren't considered members. They just have access. Someone paying a premium for a membership or who earned it via flying Diamond should frankly have access over someone who has an Amex platinum that flies DL once a year.
hockeystl, jamesteroh and gt5889a like this.
Old Jun 4, 22, 6:57 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Hyatt Exploits
Again, people accessing the club aren't considered members. They just have access. Someone paying a premium for a membership or who earned it via flying Diamond should frankly have access over someone who has an Amex platinum that flies DL once a year.
1) Aren’t considered members by whom? Delta actively promotes card holding as a way to access the club alongside paying outright
2) Why would a Diamond waste a valuable choice benefits and pay for “membership” when he/she can access the club via Amex Platinum? I am making Diamond this year for the first some and sure as hell won’t waste a choice benefit on a SkyClub membership
3) Why do you assume Amex Platinum cardholders only access the club “once a year”? Many Amex Platinum holders are frequent Delta flyers
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 22, 6:58 am

There are plenty of Diamonds taking upgrades from me right now who haven't "earned" anything in a couple of years, when I met the MQM and MQD requirements for Platinum. Looking forward to next year, when the ranks will be thinned out a bit from those who don't get their MQDs.
MichaelKade and hhdl like this.
Old Jun 4, 22, 7:00 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Hyatt Exploits
Originally Posted by DeltaFFATL View Post
In case it hasn't been shared...

This sign is so far outside of the door, not sure it would even have the designed impact. Obviously the club is still open to all who have access - how would Diamonds, D1, etc even know they can go to the front of the line? If they want to make this policy it should be announced
Old Jun 4, 22, 7:43 am

close the bloody things. They are a cesspool of self entitled cranky people. I avoid them in hub cities like the plague. Some of the out station skyclubs can still be nice.

I also fly UA. They have the same problems btw. Their clubs are full and people are just as obnoxious. They make us pay for the privilege of being subjected to that as well. No benefit for being 1k.

20 years ago those lounges were the stuff. Now? They are marginally controlled baby sitting stations for anyone with a credit card of $50 of disposable income.
Old Jun 4, 22, 7:53 am

This is the only solution to the issue:

https://eyeoftheflyer.com/2022/06/04/delta-new-laguardia-sky-club-review/
Old Jun 4, 22, 9:34 am

yes, I understand that some people aren't "considered members" but my point is what difference does that make? Membership is just some marketing terminology around a method to access the club. They're still paying to access the club, and they are in many ways more meaningful to delta (Delta gets a lot more revenue from the Amex relationship than they do from magical membership fees).
Old Jun 4, 22, 3:57 pm

I can’t wait! It’s going to be just like upgrades with 40 levels of priority for access and an app that shows priority and availability!
Old Jun 4, 22, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by JW6130 View Post
There are plenty of Diamonds taking upgrades from me right now who haven't "earned" anything in a couple of years, when I met the MQM and MQD requirements for Platinum. Looking forward to next year, when the ranks will be thinned out a bit from those who don't get their MQDs.
I have been Diamond since 2016 (earned it flying - every year, including 2020 and 2021) and people have been looking forward to the "ranks thinning out next year" every year. Always with some new reason why it's going to happen. Hasn't yet, as far as I can tell.
Old Jun 5, 22, 3:32 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
I said this on another thread, but I do think there should be two lines - one for D1 and members (either via paid means or choice benefit) and one for people who have access to the club, but who are not members. Someone paying $500/year solely for the benefit of accessing a club should take priority over someone paying $500 a year to access a slew of benefits on their credit card, including SkyClub access.
But you do understand that several of these "benefits of their card" using people are putting 6 figure amounts through these cards making them much more profitable to the credit card company & Delta compared to those who just spent $ 500 once a year to get their free booze? For many years that Amex $$'s where the main profit source for Delta, without Amex there would be no Delta as we know it.
dw and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old Jun 5, 22, 3:51 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA (the airline)
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf View Post
I have been Diamond since 2016 (earned it flying - every year, including 2020 and 2021) and people have been looking forward to the "ranks thinning out next year" every year. Always with some new reason why it's going to happen. Hasn't yet, as far as I can tell.
I think what they mean is that it was a lot easier to earn (or retain) status last year and this year with accelerators and rollovers.

As of the moment, the accelerators and rollovers have ended, and record numbers of consumers have returned to the skys. One might surmise that accumulated credits from the last three years among medallion members alone are enough to make complimentary upgrades challenging, and those will be greatly reduced at the end of January 2023.
Old Jun 5, 22, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by kale73 View Post
Why not?
Because you never wait for seconds! "He has already waited on (sic) this line!"

Search this Thread