Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Proposal for New Diamond Medallion benefit: Skip the Skyclub line?

Proposal for New Diamond Medallion benefit: Skip the Skyclub line?

Old Jun 22, 22, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
If your flight is boarding in 15 minutes and there are 20 people in line for the club, effectively you have been turned away, as you have been denied the ability to use the club (e.g., for a quick bite on a connection, or after a meeting), unless of course you want to miss/change your flight. It's not hyperbolic, although it's probably not all that frequent an occurrence either.
I responded to someone saying that prioritizing access on the rare occasions there is a line means the Skyclub benefit "more than likely will not be able to use" That is hyperbolic.
​​
if your position is that immediate Skyclub access is guaranteed, without any wait, I'm not sure what to say. Even before 2020, there were times when the wait for an agent to check in was more than 5 minutes, which would make it a poor use of a 15 minute connection. And I dont ask for a refund of my credit card fee if my connection means my gates are far apart and not close to a Skyclub. Places get crowded. Sometimes you have to wait. Sometimes you miss out on the cheese cubes. The difference of one or two diamonds going ahead of you probably won't be the difference.
Old Jun 22, 22, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
I don't understand this argument at all. Are you also suggesting that if, say, Amex removed most of the other non-SkyClub membership benefits then the priority should be the same? That's a weird argument. I really don't see why the other benefits of the Platinum/Reserve card should have anything to do with lounge access priority.

Others have covered it from the perspective of "the customers that are the most profitable for DL should have the priority," noting that the broader Amex relationship (and specifically spending on the cards) generates significant profitability for Delta. A Diamond who buys a handful of $2500 r/t TATL business class tickets (on a Visa card!) is probably not very profitable.

If your flight is boarding in 15 minutes and there are 20 people in line for the club, effectively you have been turned away, as you have been denied the ability to use the club (e.g., for a quick bite on a connection, or after a meeting), unless of course you want to miss/change your flight. It's not hyperbolic, although it's probably not all that frequent an occurrence either.
I'm not entirely sure where the confusion is. Your credit card essentially provides you a day pass to the SkyClub. That's a great perk. It also provides you a host of other amenities and benefits beyond just SkyClub access. However, someone who specifically pays the same amount - $500 or so - for no other perks except being a member of Delta SkyClub should indeed be prioritized over someone who just flies Delta once per year and has a vanilla Platinum card. Businesses and organizations provide expedited access to certain categories of clients all the time.

Also its a ridiculous assumption to say that a Diamond who flies multiple full fare FC/D1 routes per year is somehow less profitable than one random Amex Platinum user who buys a couple of coach tickets a year. Amex as a whole is profitable, but that doesn't mean everyone who has an Amex is profitable to Delta.

Fwiw, Delta clearly disagrees with you, as they are rolling out this "skip the line" benefit perk for Diamonds and D1 customers.

Last edited by USCTrojan83; Jun 22, 22 at 10:17 pm
Old Jun 22, 22, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by USCTrojan83 View Post
I'm not entirely sure where the confusion is. Your credit card essentially provides you a day pass to the SkyClub. That's a great perk. It also provides you a host of other amenities and benefits beyond just SkyClub access. However, someone who specifically pays the same amount - $500 or so - for no other perks except being a member of Delta SkyClub should indeed be prioritized over someone who just flies Delta once per year and has a vanilla Platinum card. Businesses and organizations provide expedited access to certain categories of clients all the time.

Also its a ridiculous assumption to say that a Diamond who flies multiple full fare FC/D1 routes per year is somehow less profitable than one random Amex Platinum user who buys a couple of coach tickets a year. Amex as a whole is profitable, but that doesn't mean everyone who has an Amex is profitable to Delta.

Fwiw, Delta clearly disagrees with you, as they are rolling out this "skip the line" benefit perk for Diamonds and D1 customers.
Delta also "clearly disagrees with you" as they are not granting the "skip the line" benefit perk to those who purchased membership from Delta.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jun 22, 22, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USCTrojan83 View Post
I'm not entirely sure where the confusion is. Your credit card essentially provides you a day pass to the SkyClub.
Says who? And how is that different than a “membership”?

That's a great perk. It also provides you a host of other amenities and benefits beyond just SkyClub access. However, someone who specifically pays the same amount - $500 or so - for no other perks except being a member of Delta SkyClub should indeed be prioritized over someone who just flies Delta once per year and has a vanilla Platinum card.
Again, an unjustified leap of logic that I suppose we won’t agree on.

Also its a ridiculous assumption to say that a Diamond who flies multiple full fare FC/D1 routes per year is somehow less profitable than one random Amex Platinum user who buys a couple of coach tickets a year.
I never said that.
Old Jun 23, 22, 6:13 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Hyatt Exploits
1) A lot of people are claiming that Delta sells “memberships” and that Amex cardholders are not “members,” and the cards provide “access” instead. As far as I can tell, this is just opinion - can people link to policies on a Delta website that describe benefits of “membership” that also aren’t provided to Amex cardholders? As best I can tell, this reflects the wishes of some people, not Delta’s policy

2) Someone else said it wouldn’t make financial sense for Delta to build out more club access. This is nonsense - Delta knows a lot of its perceived brand quality is based on broad club access and Is spending accordingly, expanding in many markets. Why has Delta built nice new clubs in non-hubs like AUS and MCO? Why are they building a nice new club in Kansas City? Why are they adding new clubs to JFK and ATL? Delta would surely like to build many more clubs but is limited by space available
Old Jun 23, 22, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
A few days ago when I was in the ATL B club, there were two waiting lines... a normal one and a Diamond/360/D1 line.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
A few days ago when I was in the ATL B club, there were two waiting lines... a normal one and a Diamond/360/D1 line.
Was there a wait for DM/360/D1 entry?
Old Jun 23, 22, 7:56 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Hyatt Exploits
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
ATL B club is to be avoided at all costs
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 9:24 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Radisson Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
Someone else said it wouldn’t make financial sense for Delta to build out more club access. This is nonsense - Delta knows a lot of its perceived brand quality is based on broad club access and Is spending accordingly, expanding in many markets. Why has Delta built nice new clubs in non-hubs like AUS and MCO? Why are they building a nice new club in Kansas City? Why are they adding new clubs to JFK and ATL? Delta would surely like to build many more clubs but is limited by space available
If Delta spent money on building new clubs, there would be people accusing it of catering to elites when they could spend the money on bolstering operations. "Perceived brand quality" is more affected by long waits for rebooking at ticketing counters than people waiting 10 minutes once every 8 flights to get cheese cubes. While some people on here think Skyclub access is the number one reason most people fly Delta, I do not see any evidence for that.
Delta will expand clubs where it makes financial sense to do so. It will not do so based on a few months of long skyclub lines at certain times. And it cannot do so in the short-term.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by JTXCA View Post
ATL F Sky Club afternoon of 6/20. Around 10 people in line to get in. Agent at door managing access announces DMs can skip the line and have immediate access.
I think they should get into heaven first too.
Old Jun 23, 22, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Was there a wait for DM/360/D1 entry?
Minimal... strange thing is a DL rep at the line said it would be 20+ min. Line had maybe 20 people total between the two. Only a few min later most of those in line were let in.
Old Jun 23, 22, 9:10 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588 View Post
Also, sorry to tell you, but $60k/year on a credit card doesn't mean anything to Delta or Amex. I put ~$500k/year on all my Amex cards combined (a lot of reimbursed business spending) and I know I'm not even close to being considered particularly important to Amex, Delta, or Marriott. For example, even if I wanted the Centurion card, I'd have to get someone to do me a favor so I could get it, Amex would not give me the opportunity to pay them based on my spend alone.
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588 View Post
They want you to spend a lot on charge cards, which I don't. Most of my spend is on my marriott card and second is the blue business plus.
I don’t quite get it. You mention you put $500k per year on all your Amex cards and that most of your spend is on your Marriott card. Isn’t the Marriott card a charge card?
Old Jun 23, 22, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by cre95 View Post
I don’t quite get it. You mention you put $500k per year on all your Amex cards and that most of your spend is on your Marriott card. Isn’t the Marriott card a charge card?
No, it's a credit card.
Old Jun 23, 22, 9:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Adam1222 View Post
If Delta spent money on building new clubs, there would be people accusing it of catering to elites when they could spend the money on bolstering operations. "Perceived brand quality" is more affected by long waits for rebooking at ticketing counters than people waiting 10 minutes once every 8 flights to get cheese cubes. While some people on here think Skyclub access is the number one reason most people fly Delta, I do not see any evidence for that.
Delta will expand clubs where it makes financial sense to do so. It will not do so based on a few months of long skyclub lines at certain times. And it cannot do so in the short-term.
DL should be maximizing shareholder value. If this means catering to elites, so what? It's not the role of publicly traded corporations to maximize "equity" provided they're not breaking the law or violating regulations.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 22, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
DL should be maximizing shareholder value. If this means catering to elites, so what? It's not the role of publicly traded corporations to maximize "equity" provided they're not breaking the law or violating regulations.
This seems like a misrepresentation of what I said and was responding to. I explicitly said if it was a good financial decision, they would do it. The response was to a claim about "perceived brand quality" and my response pointed to other aspects of perceived brand quality. And I was pointing out that there would be people *on this website* complaining if Delta chose to spend money on skyclubs over operational issues, because people here will never be happy.
​​​​​​

Search this Thread