Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Proposal for New Diamond Medallion benefit: Skip the Skyclub line?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal for New Diamond Medallion benefit: Skip the Skyclub line?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by mridley2
Side note. upon my arrival at LGA about 8PM Friday night I did "test" arrival access using my AMEX Reserve card and voila! They let me in no questions asked. I merely had to scan the boarding pass. WOW!!
I had a cocktail with a snack and then made my way over to the m60 bus. So at least that benefit does exist for Reserve Card members. Question: Maybe I missed it but I don't see this arrival access listed in the terms and conditions for the AMEX reserve card. Is this an unpublished benefit????
Arrival access has long been available for anyone with access to SkyClubs
Old Jun 12, 2022, 1:26 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Ascii
At LGA right now. The new largest sky club has a twenty person line backed up to security to get in. So much for that solving the problem.
The line to speak to an agent is 16 deep.
Originally Posted by Adelphos
It is actually at capacity inside the club?

Kind of surprising on a Sunday - that said, Sunday is when Delta tends to melt down these days.
I'm guessing the big red arc around NYC might be relevant

hhdl likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 1:29 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC, CLEAR
At Detroit now. A43 club had a banner that says it’s at capacity but I just walked around it and into the club. I asked the 3 dragons if they were getting the signs like ATL and they all looked at me like I had two heads! Showed them a picture of said signs and they were very amused.

Line for A38 Club gets long but it moves quick. Why anyone would go there is beyond me (besides showers)

Also looks like there was a stern talk being given by the catering lead, hope that guy got off easy.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Zorak
I'm guessing the big red arc around NYC might be relevant

There were only a handful of canceled and delayed flights on the board when I was there. The 'misery map' above was posted after I arrived at my destination. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, truly. I don't really think that was the issue. The Need Help line in the terminal was about as long as the line in the SC for help. There was no obvious congestion in the terminal or at security. The line to enter the SC was longer than the line at ticketing check-in, and security for PreCheck, SkyPriority, and Clear by quite a bit. The line for regular TSA was longer, but one of the shorter lines I've seen at LGA. I think the bigger issue is selling more access than the capacity than they actually have. Note that they also closed the other SC by the 60s gates.

Maybe this is unrealistic, but my expectation would be that the largest SC could handle the relatively minor travel delays happening today. To be clear, I am a HUGE Delta fan and have persuaded many friends and colleagues to move their travel to DL. But, I am very concerned by the devaluation of the SCs that is happening throughout the country (not just as LGA due to the delays today). I am concerned because of the impact on my travel and that of those I have brought to DL.

Last edited by Ascii; Jun 12, 2022 at 4:45 pm
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
It is actually at capacity inside the club?

Kind of surprising on a Sunday - that said, Sunday is when Delta tends to melt down these days.
It was not standing room only -- seats available but hard to find. When we left the line was even longer and they were letting one person in for every one person leaving.

I was shocked, honestly, given all the talk of the size. I actually did a double take to see if I was at the entry for one of the old SCs by mistake. By the way, I recall some mention of perhaps not all of the new SC being open. Does anyone know how much bigger it will be when the rest opens? (I know the SkyDeck isn't there yet -- so unsure how much more room there will be.)
Adelphos likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 7:00 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
It was not standing room only -- seats available but hard to find. When we left the line was even longer and they were letting one person in for every one person leaving.

I was shocked, honestly, given all the talk of the size. I actually did a double take to see if I was at the entry for one of the old SCs by mistake. By the way, I recall some mention of perhaps not all of the new SC being open. Does anyone know how much bigger it will be when the rest opens? (I know the SkyDeck isn't there yet -- so unsure how much more room there will be.)
I think it should expand by around 10,000 Sq ft when everything is open.

The issue is that Delta had three SkyClubs at LGA (two in C if I recall, 1 in D). Now both in C are closed, and D is closing soon. Same issue at LAX - Delta earlier this year had two SkyClubs there, and both could get crowded. Opening the largest SkyClubs in the system at these airports can help - but maybe they should keep all of the other clubs open too (especially at those clubs are closer to gates)? Honestly, Delta is pretty conservative with capacity in general, but they should expand club space by 50% or more in a lot
of these busy airports
jamesteroh and Ascii like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 7:19 am
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Was there on Friday, I'm not a regular DL flyer but switched my Friday flight to DL (and the horrible A220 F) to check out the new terminal/SC. No line to enter around 1:30 but the lounge was crowded. Long lines for the bar, crowding around the food areas, etc. There were definitely seats available but it took some walking around. After hearing everything about the size of this lounge, it wasn't as large as I expected. Maybe once the expansion opens.
Definitely prefer Admirals Clubs in general which are much less crowded even in hubs.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I think it should expand by around 10,000 Sq ft when everything is open.

The issue is that Delta had three SkyClubs at LGA (two in C if I recall, 1 in D). Now both in C are closed, and D is closing soon. Same issue at LAX - Delta earlier this year had two SkyClubs there, and both could get crowded. Opening the largest SkyClubs in the system at these airports can help - but maybe they should keep all of the other clubs open too (especially at those clubs are closer to gates)? Honestly, Delta is pretty conservative with capacity in general, but they should expand club space by 50% or more in a lot
of these busy airports
They should use these clubs for a backup during peak travel time. I remember right after the merger they would use the old NW Worldclub for a back up in the late afternoon for international passengers.

I wish they would put in a priority line for diamonds and Delta one at skyclubs at LAX, FLL and LGA where they tend to be at capacity.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 11:36 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Been avoiding this thread. Just read it.

As someone that isn't 360, diamond or Delta One, I am glad they are letting those people in first. I get they have to limit access at peak times and putting myself in the shoes of big spender customers I would be annoyed if I spent large coin on a Delta One ticket and had to wait in line for the club. I may not like it but I completely get it.

Interesting all the people saying their membership is useless and they are just going to get a card, or if they have a card they are canceling it. Almost sounds like this is all going according to plan. Net decrease in people with access while shifting the membership people to the arguably more profitable credit cards. Considering they can't just make space appear instantly, this seems like the next best plan to deal with crowding.
jamesteroh, gt5889a and Mhyduchak like this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by defrosted
Interesting all the people saying their membership is useless and they are just going to get a card, or if they have a card they are canceling it. Almost sounds like this is all going according to plan. Net decrease in people with access while shifting the membership people to the arguably more profitable credit cards. Considering they can't just make space appear instantly, this seems like the next best plan to deal with crowding.
I doubt reducing SkyClub membership is the reason for over-crowding. Rather, I believe it's Delta's lack of control of minting new American Express cards. If one elect to obtaining Amex card from the current SkyClub membership, net reduction is zero.

The only way of reducing some crowding is re-labeling some Skyclub to Delta One Lounges thereby limiting access to only select premium passengers, and continue the crowding at some of the remaining SkyClub. This is the playbook by United when they switched some United Club to Polaris. United Clubs still have crowding, while Polaris has much calm presence.

Jiburi
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by jiburi
I doubt reducing SkyClub membership is the reason for over-crowding. Rather, I believe it's Delta's lack of control of minting new American Express cards. If one elect to obtaining Amex card from the current SkyClub membership, net reduction is zero.

The only way of reducing some crowding is re-labeling some Skyclub to Delta One Lounges thereby limiting access to only select premium passengers, and continue the crowding at some of the remaining SkyClub. This is the playbook by United when they switched some United Club to Polaris. United Clubs still have crowding, while Polaris has much calm presence.

Jiburi
The United Clubs don't have nearly the crowding problem that the Delta clubs do. I'd love to see D1 lounges, but maybe this way makes more sense. They don't have to build new clubs this way, and they are keeping their D1 customers and Diamonds happy by giving them priority while not keeping them waiting and AmEx can sell all the memberships they want and if there is a wait those AmEx customers who only fly Delta once or twice a year won't take priority over Delta's highest profit customers.
Old Jun 13, 2022, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by jiburi

Jiburi
no it isn't.
The real option is expanding club space at the hubs, which is generally where Delta has the most issues. Simply reducing the club space in the hubs will only make things worse.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 4:24 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA EXP, WN Companion Pass, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, National VIP
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
They should use these clubs for a backup during peak travel time. I remember right after the merger they would use the old NW Worldclub for a back up in the late afternoon for international passengers.

I wish they would put in a priority line for diamonds and Delta one at skyclubs at LAX, FLL and LGA where they tend to be at capacity.
With what staff would this be accomplished? Having flex space requires flex staff. That's nearly impossible especially when everyone wants to eat, drink, and forget how to use a trash can or return a glass to the bar (let alone tip!). It's 6 AM in Atlanta and the club on T is jampacked with empty plates and glasses on at least a third of the tables.
hhdl likes this.

Last edited by TigerInAir; Jun 14, 2022 at 5:42 am
Old Jun 14, 2022, 7:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I cut the line today!

GM

Walked behind the signs 😎
Adelphos and kale73 like this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 5:51 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
I cut the line today!

GM

Walked behind the signs 😎
A shame that customers would be so selfish. Next people will complain that staff should be diverted to monitor the line to ensure no self-upgrades like this.
​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.