Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Memorial Day 2022 Weekend

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2022, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Memorial Day 2022 Weekend

Signs seem to be pointing to a very rough weekend coming for Delta.

Already 123 canceled tomorrow,
40 canceled for Saturday,
and weather,
and AMS.

Good luck out there.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 5:58 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by spongenotbob;[url=tel:34283889
34283889[/url]]Signs seem to be pointing to a very rough weekend coming for Delta.

Already 123 canceled tomorrow,
40 canceled for Saturday,
and weather,
and AMS.

Good luck out there.
To put it in perspective they’ve axed 5% of todays flights (already). UA 1%, AA <1%. DLs % is even worse than NK (3%).
Old May 27, 2022, 8:20 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Didn't DL announce that the were going to proactively cancel? If so, this isn't exactly a surprise, though obviously quite a pain for travelers.
Adam1222 and Bradhattan like this.
Old May 27, 2022, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Similar weekend cancellations have been happening for the last month or so. Hopefully, the schedule reductions will help. Although it looks like they are mostly focusing on July and August schedule reductions, so weekend meltdowns might be expected to continue through June.

Staffing Woes Continue May 2022
DL to decrease the July/early August schedule by 100 flights/day
Old May 27, 2022, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ty97
Didn't DL announce that the were going to proactively cancel? If so, this isn't exactly a surprise, though obviously quite a pain for travelers.
I suppose so, but then the numbers wouldn't continue to drift higher.

Current stats: 158 Cancelled, 261 Delayed. That does not include the connection carriers.
Old May 27, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
My first flight was delayed, missed second flight, rebooked for tomorrow, no seats available (yet).
Old May 27, 2022, 12:43 pm

Our flight tomorrow CVG to LAX was cancelled tomorrow and we rebooked for the evening itinerary SDf to MSP to LAX.

My daughter and I didn't get an assigned seat but it never said stand by. We were listed as 2 and 3 of 3 for 3 remaining seats. Suddenly we are 3 and 4 for 3 seats. How does that happen? We didn't book standby.

Anything we can do? Not a lot options. We have express pass tickets for universal Hollywood tomorrow and this Potter fan was so looking for to it. Can we split and my daughter go with my husband and son who have assigned seats if we are one seat short. This was a companion fare.

Can we asked to be backed up on some other option?

Lesson learned I won't travel on a holiday weekend again if can help. We have flights Sunday to Kauai on Hawaiian so we need to at least get to LA tomorrow even if we have to miss the universal stuff.

I am waiting for a chat agent. But don't expect much help.
Old May 27, 2022, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by straychicken
Our flight tomorrow CVG to LAX was cancelled tomorrow and we rebooked for the evening itinerary SDf to MSP to LAX.

My daughter and I didn't get an assigned seat but it never said stand by. We were listed as 2 and 3 of 3 for 3 remaining seats. Suddenly we are 3 and 4 for 3 seats. How does that happen? We didn't book standby.

Anything we can do? Not a lot options. We have express pass tickets for universal Hollywood tomorrow and this Potter fan was so looking for to it. Can we split and my daughter go with my husband and son who have assigned seats if we are one seat short. This was a companion fare.

Lesson learned I won't travel on a holiday weekend again if can help. We have flights Sunday to Kauai on Hawaiian so we need to at least get to LA tomorrow even if we have to miss the universal stuff.

1) Call don't chat. Agents on the phone can escalate to supervisors, etc. And you can be more firm but polite via telephone to get a reasonable outcome.
2) Pick flights that are more suitable and seem to be operating. Tell them the flights you want.
3) If you have status, see if they will interline you on another carrier (i.e. United). Despite what you read here, this happens a lot, especially if you have any decent status with Delta.

Tell them you have a hard family commitment (which you do). Best of luck to you.
Old May 27, 2022, 1:11 pm

It's a 2 hour plus wait for a rep with no option for a call back. I will be at the airport in our 40 min.

I have Silver status not sure it will help much
There is a direct flight this evening on spirit and I think some option. I will try!
Old May 27, 2022, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Both confirmed and standby passengers will be listed on standby list if there are no seats currently open in coach. It's also pretty common if you are on a Basic Economy fare. If you are ticketed on flight, you are not a standby passenger and they will not put standby passengers in seats before you. There are a number of seats that are blocked for assignment at gate. The upgrade processing will also typically open up a number of seats in coach as Medallions are moved to C+ and FC seats.
Old May 27, 2022, 1:32 pm

It says 3 seats remaining and we are 3 and 4 on the list. Would they have standby passengers in front of us on that list?
Old May 27, 2022, 1:34 pm

Duplicate
Old May 27, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
It says 3 seats remaining and we are 3 and 4 on the list. Would they have standby passengers in front of us on that list?
No. If your itinerary on Delta.com says “Confirmed” you are not on Standby but your seat will be assigned at the gate. They will pay someone else thousands to get off before you are bumped. If the status says Standby then things are a lot less certain. Good luck.
Old May 27, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
3) If you have status, see if they will interline you on another carrier (i.e. United). Despite what you read here, this happens a lot, especially if you have any decent status with Delta.

Tell them you have a hard family commitment (which you do). Best of luck to you.
I want to highlight this - in the last couple of months I have had DL interline me twice onto other carriers (once AS, once BA), but it wasn't something they were going to do until I was firm that I wanted to get to my destination that day, and that accepting a subpar rebooking wasn't ok. Once I suggested alternatives, they were able to escalate to a supervisor and quickly get a confirmed ticket.

I don't know how well this would work if you had no/low status, but it's now been the only reason I've made it to my destination even close to on time. Don't be rude, but being firm ("are there other options? I see AS ## still has seats for sale and would get me there on time") has worked for me.
Old May 27, 2022, 2:01 pm

My ticket on delta.com says confirmed and that chat agent says I am not standby. I bet it is overbooked. I didn't think of that. I hope they offer some $$$ and get us on.
altabello likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.