Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

WX Waiver posted for Northeast to Southeast

WX Waiver posted for Northeast to Southeast

Old May 26, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
In B at ATL now and sone moderate delays including my connection to GRR now supposedly going out half an hour late. The rebooking line down the hall hasn’t escaped the tensa barriers yet- as long as any thunder or tornado stuff holds off, they might be able to prevent a bigger cascading issue
Old May 26, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
UA has added a weather waiver as well.
Old May 26, 2022, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Well it looks like we're already off to the races. Upon random inspection, pretty much every LGA-ATL flight is delayed this morning, and the 0600 canceled.

I'm glad I'm connecting at MSP today.
This morning was pretty bad flying northbound to ATL - I can't imagine what we were avoiding, as we headed up the west coast of FL before sunrise. I was lying down with my belt on, wondering how much coffee must be spilling during breakfast service.
Old May 26, 2022, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Every single cancel for tomorrow is an A319/20/21 or 738/9. The weather does not seem to be affecting 717s, 220s, 757s or widebodies.
mcdullhk88, KDCAflyer and ryw like this.
Old May 27, 2022, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Every single cancel for tomorrow is an A319/20/21 or 738/9. The weather does not seem to be affecting 717s, 220s, 757s or widebodies.
Its almost likely when you need to proactively trim a schedule (whether it be due to weather or staffing) you trim stuff that is flying on routes with multiple frequencies and where the biggest impact area will be. Someone can correct me, but a large portion of the flying through routes affected by the weather system is covered by the A319-321 and 738-9 fleet, so they're going to be more heavily impacted. And when FAA is saying arrival rates are going to be decreased, plan on only being able to do 5 arrivals instead of the 10 you planned to do, there is zero chance you're going to get rid of a widebody in place of a narrow body.
Old May 27, 2022, 3:57 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Its almost likely when you need to proactively trim a schedule (whether it be due to weather or staffing) you trim stuff that is flying on routes with multiple frequencies and where the biggest impact area will be. Someone can correct me, but a large portion of the flying through routes affected by the weather system is covered by the A319-321 and 738-9 fleet, so they're going to be more heavily impacted. And when FAA is saying arrival rates are going to be decreased, plan on only being able to do 5 arrivals instead of the 10 you planned to do, there is zero chance you're going to get rid of a widebody in place of a narrow body.
Reality is they don’t have enough pilots for these fleets in particular.
dw and jfinsocal like this.
Old May 27, 2022, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by FlyerWx
As a Meteorologist (with aviation wx experience), I can definitely see why they posted these waivers. And given the compounding staffing factors, they need to be giving proactive flexibility.

It's not just about the conditions at the airports themselves, but also along popular air routes. Starting with ATL tomorrow around noon, any change in arrival/departure rate from the line(s) of storms moving through will immediately trigger delays/cancellations. Throw any storms into the delicate staffing situation, and ATL could get messy. Even in DTW, the proximity to the upper level low pressure will make the environment conducive to thunderstorms.

Then on Friday, the location of the thunderstorms (a broken line stretching from PA southward) is a classic High impact situation for NYC air routes. The New York (ZNY) Center Weather Service Unit (CWSU) has already put out an advisory on this, and I can guarantee Delta Meteorology took this into account when issuing the waiver.
Thunderstorms started in Charlotte last night and this morning at 5 am got hit with the worst thunderstorms we have had in years. When this line goes through DC and NYC it will be a nightmare.
Old May 27, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by ty97
UA has added a weather waiver as well.
Whoever wrote up UA's definitely made a typo, says winter weather advisory!
wrp96 and DLASflyer like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.