Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why haven't Choice Benefits increased with inflation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2022, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles | Platinum

Why haven't choice benefits increased with inflation? $200 or 20,000 SkyMiles doesn't quite cut it anymore... This should be increased to $500 or 50,000 SkyMiles to reflect Delta's price increases.
Old May 23, 2022, 1:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
Less for more is every company now in the post-covid era.
Old May 24, 2022, 6:25 am

Programs: DL DM
Inflation has increased dramatically in the last few months. Delta isn't going to change things half way through the year, after a lot of members have already chosen their benefits. Maybe next year, but I wouldn't count on it. I think they have been quite generous with other things related to status already.
Daitheflu84 likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles | Platinum
They've been the same $ since at least 2018... Should've been increased MULTIPLE times.
BigFishDave likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 7:39 am

Programs: DL DM
… but they never expire!

*cough* DEVALUATION *cough*
Old May 24, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: UA
What benefit does Delta get from increasing the value of benefits? It cuts into their bottom line, and while people here might be willing to switch FF programs over something like this, I doubt the impact it would have on the broader population.
Old May 24, 2022, 8:29 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Why hasn't Delta increased the amount of MQD needed to qualify for status? Given inflation of ticket prices, surely qualifying for Platinum and Diamond should require $15K and $20K in MQD, respectively, at the bare minimum. And why on earth hasn't Delta increased the amount of Amex spending needed to meet the MQD waiver to $50K instead of $25K. $25K is far too low in today's economy.
cre95, NYC Flyer, ATLCDG and 5 others like this.
Old May 24, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Why hasn't Delta increased the amount of MQD needed to qualify for status? Given inflation of ticket prices, surely qualifying for Platinum and Diamond should require $15K and $20K in MQD, respectively, at the bare minimum. And why on earth hasn't Delta increased the amount of Amex spending needed to meet the MQD waiver to $50K instead of $25K. $25K is far too low in today's economy.
Exactly my thoughts when I read this thread title. There's no way Delta would restore value to choice benefits without expecting more in return from medallions. I'm sure the only reason DL hasn't bumped up the MQD requirements is because business travel hasn't recovered. Give another year or two and I could see MQDs across all levels increasing to $5k/$8k/$12k/$18k or somewhere around there.
Old May 24, 2022, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by angetenar
What benefit does Delta get from increasing the value of benefits? It cuts into their bottom line, and while people here might be willing to switch FF programs over something like this, I doubt the impact it would have on the broader population.
Then why do they do it at all? I think Choice Benefits do move the needle. No, I don't think they need to change the benefit in the middle of a rapidly changing year.
Daitheflu84 likes this.
Old May 24, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Exactly this. Given that UA and others have already done this, I am very happy this hasn't yet occurred. It probably will within next couple years, unfortunately.
Old May 24, 2022, 12:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM & 2.4M+ Miles - Bonvoy - Lifetime Titanium - DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by Minnyappleus
They've been the same $ since at least 2018... Should've been increased MULTIPLE times.
I know the DM folks got a third choice benefit in recent years - so that was nice for them. Maybe give PM a second choice? I'm happy with what we get - they could eliminate them totally... I wonder how much they could save if they eliminated the useless "brag tags" that 85% of people toss away???
Old May 24, 2022, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
To be fair, the upgrades/lounges/bags you may qualify for are worth more, right?
hhdl likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 10:25 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Why haven't choice benefits increased with inflation? $200 or 20,000 SkyMiles doesn't quite cut it anymore... This should be increased to $500 or 50,000 SkyMiles to reflect Delta's price increases.
Really? thanks for the laugh
Old Jun 3, 2022, 12:09 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Don't worry. Delta raised the cost of award flights to reflect the cost of revenue tickets and the rise in inflation.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 8:34 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
It's interesting to observe the comments in this thread. Due to the hyper-inflation that we're experiencing right now discretionary spending is being curtailed so therefore people are spending less on luxury goods despite Delta commanding a pricing premium (supply versus demand).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.