Cancel one leg of an award flight?

Old May 23, 2022, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Cancel one leg of an award flight?

I booked a round trip Delta flight using points. Can I cancel just the return flight? I found a much cheaper return flight option on a different airline. On the Delta website it seems I can only completely cancel the whole flight. I don't want to cancel it all and just rebook my outbound flight since the points required are so much more right now.
Old May 23, 2022, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Awards cannot be partially cancelled and they also become non-refundable once travel has begun. Note that DL often has cheaper award levels that require roundtrip bookings and changing from a roundtrip to a one-way may change the award levels available for booking. Allowing one to cancel half a roundtrip booking for refund would also defeat roundtrip booking requirements on cheaper awards.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

I called Delta support and after waiting on hold for a few hours, finally reached an operator. They were able to separate my RT ticket and then cancel and refund the return portion of the flight. But because of the difference on cost for the award flight today versus when I originally booked it, I did end up losing about 5k in Delta points on the refund. But still happy I was able to get most of my points back for the return flight. So I guess it depends on the timing and the operator that you get when trying to cancel.
Old May 23, 2022, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL DM
I love it. Operator?? It likely happened the way xliioper said it would, it just happened to work out well for you. Operator
Old May 24, 2022, 8:07 pm

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
I'm curious what the rules now are if you would call to cancel after you've flown the first leg...? I think that was possible in the past, but maybe not anymore.
Old May 25, 2022, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mayhem
I'm curious what the rules now are if you would call to cancel after you've flown the first leg...? I think that was possible in the past, but maybe not anymore.
Even in past they normally won't do it outside IRROPS. It takes time/manual handling to process a partially used ticket refund.
Old May 10, 2023, 9:56 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
How about altering the date of the second segment after the 1st has been flown?
Old May 11, 2023, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kthomas
How about altering the date of the second segment after the 1st has been flown?
If segments are part of a single fare component, suspect that they won't attach any value to second segment and you will need to book a new award.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.