Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Traveling from AR - drive to nonstop from DFW or one stop thru ATL?

Old May 21, 2022, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, B6

Hi folks, long time lurker, occasional poster, getting back into travel with a new solo business (which means all travel is out of pocket).

I'm having a bit of a conundrum as I'll be at a conference in Hot Springs AR at the end of July, and my nearby choices for flying home are limited to one-stops thru ATL out of LIT (~1 hr drive from conference). I am aware that Southern Airways Express flies Cessnas to DFW and MEM but the times don't line up for me (and there are no late Friday afternoon nonstops from MEM to BOS).

My biases are for nonstops whenever possible and avoiding ATL, so I'm considering a 4-1/2 hr drive to DFW to take a nonstop home (I'll have a rental car, as I'm flying in elsewhere earlier in the week for another conference nearby). It's also about $150 cheaper than the one-stop from LIT via ATL. Downside: it's the last flight out of DFW on DL and I am wary of the late afternoon t-storms and delays /cancellations. It's also a 220, which is nice, but also barely booked so I'm doubly wary of a cancellation. I suppose I can also defect to AA for N/S to BOS out of DFW (also significant savings out of LIT via CLT) but I am trying to build back up with DL.

What would you do? Thanks! (And good luck to everyone this summer - I am 2-for-5 with on-time departures over the last two weeks, including an overnight cancellation, hence my caution).
Old May 21, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: Blinged Out
Hot Springs- DFW is a 4 hour drive versus a one hour drive to LIT - WN and AA have multiple nonstops to DFW/DAL- no need to connect through ATL.

my rule, if its under a five hour drive, Ill drive it.
GoBob likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 9:12 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
I hate driving so I'd fly every time and minimize my time on the road. ATL is fine... DFW is fine... I only travel on OPM for conferences, so I don't care about $150.

I think you're thinking too hard about this. It's all personal preference.
Old May 21, 2022, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I don't know that having to drive 4.5 hours to DFW in Friday afternoon traffic (which can add to your time) is worth missing a connection through ATL. Don't forget that your time is worth money as well. But if you are trying to be frugal, which option costs the least overall?
Old May 21, 2022, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Has the OP compared rental car prices for various drop off airports? That can make a big difference. Also, will and additional per mile charges be a factor? Rental car cost differences between options could dwarf any difference in air fares.
Old May 21, 2022, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Id spend the extra 150 over a 4-5 hour drive. No question.
Old May 21, 2022, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wrp96
I don't know that having to drive 4.5 hours to DFW in Friday afternoon traffic (which can add to your time) is worth missing a connection through ATL
This

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Has the OP compared rental car prices for various drop off airports? That can make a big difference. Also, will and additional per mile charges be a factor? Rental car cost differences between options could dwarf any difference in air fares.
and this.

Ive made airline connections through ATL and Ive driven through the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex on a Friday afternoon. I can assure you that the former is far less stress-inducing.
GoBob and mnhusker like this.
Old May 21, 2022, 11:26 am
Original Poster

All helpful feedback - thank you

MSPeconomist - I hadn't given thought to a difference in rental car costs, although I checked and it's only a $40 difference.

Essentially, the cost differential isn't a driver here for me nor is the drive (at least in concept). I have a 7 hour drive earlier in the week because any connection from conference 1 to conference 2 required a change and at least a one hour drive on either end (hence multiple rentals), so I'm already in for some miles.

What I'm getting is that the ATL connection is less of a concern so it's all about preference. Thanks again for indulging me - I tend to be a contingencies planner. Happy Saturday.
Old May 21, 2022, 1:12 pm

Gas is certainly not free these days. I would spend the $150 and have a pilot do the driving.
Moyerclan likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 2:11 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GoBob
Hi folks, long time lurker, occasional poster, getting back into travel with a new solo business (which means all travel is out of pocket).

I'm having a bit of a conundrum as I'll be at a conference in Hot Springs AR at the end of July, and my nearby choices for flying home are limited to one-stops thru ATL out of LIT (~1 hr drive from conference). I am aware that Southern Airways Express flies Cessnas to DFW and MEM but the times don't line up for me (and there are no late Friday afternoon nonstops from MEM to BOS).

My biases are for nonstops whenever possible and avoiding ATL, so I'm considering a 4-1/2 hr drive to DFW to take a nonstop home (I'll have a rental car, as I'm flying in elsewhere earlier in the week for another conference nearby). It's also about $150 cheaper than the one-stop from LIT via ATL. Downside: it's the last flight out of DFW on DL and I am wary of the late afternoon t-storms and delays /cancellations. It's also a 220, which is nice, but also barely booked so I'm doubly wary of a cancellation. I suppose I can also defect to AA for N/S to BOS out of DFW (also significant savings out of LIT via CLT) but I am trying to build back up with DL.

What would you do? Thanks! (And good luck to everyone this summer - I am 2-for-5 with on-time departures over the last two weeks, including an overnight cancellation, hence my caution).
Really depends on how much you value those 4.5 hours, and your financial situation. If you have 4.5 hours of free time that you are not going to be doing anything with, make the drive. I would subtract fuel and rental car expenses from your flight options to see the true cost (plus your own free time of 4.5 hours).

If I had a small business start up, where every single cent counts towards the bottom line, and I'm putting sweat equity into it, then I'll do everything to save money.

If your per hour earn is worth more than your cost of driving 4.5 hours, then it is not worth driving yourself. You can calculate the cost of Uber/Lyft to the airport while you stay productive in the car to offset transportation cost. Or, just fly the most efficient and cost effective airline. The X-factor is how much you value your own 4.5 hours; only you yourself knows.
GoBob likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 2:28 pm

Programs: AARP, DL Skymiles, Marriot Bonvoy, Moe's Rewards
I also started working for myself last year so Im familiar with rethinking my travel decisions.

Personally Id avoid the 4.5 hour drive, specially if your main consideration is avoiding a connection in Atlanta. Youre going to spend most of the $150 in savings on the rental car change and gas. Not to mention all the more wear and tear on yourself tacking on a 4.5 hour drive that includes Friday afternoon Dallas traffic.

I would take the connection through Atlanta all day long.

Would you be connecting to the last flight to BOS in ATL? If not, its an even easier decision for me as youd have some back up if something goes wrong with your connection.
GoBob likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 3:46 pm

1) it seems really unhinged to drive 4.5 hours to avoid a stopover unless you have some sort of legit phobia
2) load factor isn't likely to be super relevant to cancellation. there are crew shortages, but that last flight of the night probably has to run because they're gonna need that plane in BOS in the morning.
mnhusker likes this.
Old May 21, 2022, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
1) it seems really unhinged to drive 4.5 hours to avoid a stopover unless you have some sort of legit phobia
2) load factor isn't likely to be super relevant to cancellation. there are crew shortages, but that last flight of the night probably has to run because they're gonna need that plane in BOS in the morning.
Unhinged might be a tad over the line - it's going to be the end of a long week and I'm just trying to plan for what has the best probability of getting me home to see my wife and kids without interruption. In that vein, I appreciate point two.
Old May 21, 2022, 6:24 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Unhinged might be a tad over the line - it's going to be the end of a long week and I'm just trying to plan for what has the best probability of getting me home to see my wife and kids without interruption. In that vein, I appreciate point two.
The best option to fly home without interruption is to be on an early morning flight from a hub that will be staffed with a new crew from home base and one of a hundred planes laying around (i.e. depart Saturday morning DFW-BOS). Presumably you want to go home Friday night though (during thunderstorm season, in the south). There will be risk with every option, especially in the afternoon and evening hours.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.