Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No a credit for upgraded seat purchased after I canceled flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No a credit for upgraded seat purchased after I canceled flight

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2022, 7:15 am
BP1
Original Poster

No e-credit for upgraded seat purchased after I canceled flight

Purchased round trip ticket February 2022 from New York to Barcelona for travel in September 2022.. a few days after purchase we decided to upgrade our seat from main cabin to comfort Plus class which cost us an additional $836.. yesterday we decided covid situation was too uncertain for us to go at this time.. canceled flight and received e-ticket but only for amount of original purchase. Delta will not issue Us credit for money we spent to upgrade seats.. yes there is a disclaimer explaining that you do not receive credit if you upgrade seat after original purchase but it is buried in the fine print on the cancellation page.. in today's world you would think Delta would have more flexibility on this issue.. you cannot reach a human when you try to call Delta and the chat function is a joke.
Any suggestions?

Last edited by BP1; May 21, 2022 at 1:24 pm
Old May 21, 2022, 9:07 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BP1
Purchased round trip ticket February 2022 from New York to Barcelona for travel in September 2022.. a few days after purchase we decided to upgrade our seat from main cabin to comfort Plus class which cost us an additional $836.. yesterday we decided covid situation was too uncertain for us to go at this time.. canceled flight and received e-ticket but only for amount of original purchase. Delta will not issue Us credit for money we spent to upgrade seats.. yes there is a disclaimer explaining that you do not receive credit if you upgrade seat after original purchase but it is buried in the fine print on the cancellation page.. in today's world you would think Delta would have more flexibility on this issue.. you cannot reach a human when you try to call Delta and the chat function is a joke.
Any suggestions?

This can still be refunded by an agent after the fact. Hang up call again is your best friend. Not sure if you have status but that helps. I have had agents refuse only to find another agent later on a separate item be really nice and bring up this situation and they refunded happily.
Old May 21, 2022, 9:22 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
The technical rule is that once you buy it, it is lost forever if you cancel. Which seems counterintuitive given the publicized "no change fees or penalties for cancellation forever" rules that the pandemic generated. It is a little bit sneaky, given the way they push the upgrades.
Old May 21, 2022, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BP1
Any suggestions?
I don't think OP will get a refund (to original means of payment) for the fee, but a DL voucher might be possible.

OT, but that seems like a lot to pay for just an "upgrade" to C+. When you say "we", how many people were traveling if this wasn't the price per person?
Old May 21, 2022, 9:48 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't think OP will get a refund (to original means of payment) for the fee, but a DL voucher might be possible.

OT, but that seems like a lot to pay for just an "upgrade" to C+. When you say "we", how many people were traveling if this wasn't the price per person?
I have been able to get a refund months after being refused when on the phone with a different agent who is particularly nice, and I brought up the situation. She promptly went back to the the ticket number and issued a refund. It is technically possible within their systems, more of an issue of finding the right agent willing to do it. The number of folks on the ticket / involved in the upgrade makes no difference in their ability to issue a refund.
Old May 21, 2022, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ryandc99
I have been able to get a refund months after being refused when on the phone with a different agent who is particularly nice, and I brought up the situation. She promptly went back to the the ticket number and issued a refund. It is technically possible within their systems, more of an issue of finding the right agent willing to do it. The number of folks on the ticket / involved in the upgrade makes no difference in their ability to issue a refund.
Of course the number of passengers on the PNR doesn't matter: it will be all or none, but a credit would be associated with each individual passenger. IMO a credit would be easier to obtain than a refund but of course YMMV.

I was asking about the number of passengers because $800+ seems like a high price for a seat near the front of coach with a couple more inches of legroom.
Old May 21, 2022, 10:45 am
BP1
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
The technical rule is that once you buy it, it is lost forever if you cancel. Which seems counterintuitive given the publicized "no change fees or penalties for cancellation forever" rules that the pandemic generated. It is a little bit sneaky, given the way they push the upgrades.
Thanks for the reply... My thoughts exactly.
Yeah "sneaky" is the word.
Old May 21, 2022, 10:51 am
BP1
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

$418 each for my wife and I.
We thought that was high however comfort was our priority... Being that it's near impossible to speak to someone at Delta we may just have to bite the bullet on this one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.