Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arrival access to SkyClubs restored!

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2022, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
I access the SkyClub using an Amex platinum. I'd happily give it up if it meant making the SkyClubs usable again.
Go ahead and cancel your amex then.
Old May 27, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
lol the level of anger I've generated by making a simple point that happens to have some basis in logic/reality has been entertaining.

My theory that the Platinum cards are responsible for the overcrowding is just a theory, but the SkyClubs were not this bad pre-pandemic. The difference between now and then is that Amex basically paid people last year to sign up for the Platinum, and now the clubs are massively overcrowded.

If you can't admit that there's at least a plausible linkage between the two, I have nothing for you.

We shall see if overcrowding eases in the next 6 months as AFs come up, and card holders no longer have a massive signup/upgrade bonus and a 10x point multiplier to offset the cost. If things are still this bad this time next year, I'll gladly concede the point.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; May 27, 2022 at 8:02 am
Old May 27, 2022, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In response to DenverBrian's post #99:

This reminds me of the behavior of some Titanic passengers who were lucky enough to get into a lifeboat.
DenverBrian and Goodoldflyer like this.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; May 27, 2022 at 8:06 am Reason: forgot to quote post
Old May 27, 2022, 8:12 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ijgordon
That’s absurd. How much do you think Amex grew the Plat card base over the past year? Unlikely much more than 10%. Do you think they significantly relaxed credit standards vs prior years?? Platinum was never that difficult to get. Also remember they jacked up the annual fee mid-year for new cardholders too. “Anyone with a pulse” is not spending $700 on a credit card no matter the value of the benefits. I can pretty much guarantee that the vast majority of guests in the club who got in via Amex Plat have had the card for years.
Not just over the past year. AmEx has been greatly expanding the Plat charge card for much longer.

When the Plat card was first introduced (there was the basic green AmEx charge card and the Gold charge card which came with a bank-type line of credit) in about the early 1980s, it was invitation only (like Centurion later became) and to be invited, one must first have a successful history with another AmEx card (Green or Gold didn't seem to matter) as well as a high income and a good credit rating. It was viewed as somewhat exclusive beyond having high annual fee.

Now I'm not convinced that the standards are significantly higher than the requirements to obtain a standard Visa or MasterCard.
KDCAflyer likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Not just over the past year. AmEx has been greatly expanding the Plat charge card for much longer.

When the Plat card was first introduced (there was the basic green AmEx charge card and the Gold charge card which came with a bank-type line of credit) in about the early 1980s, it was invitation only (like Centurion later became) and to be invited, one must first have a successful history with another AmEx card (Green or Gold didn't seem to matter) as well as a high income and a good credit rating. It was viewed as somewhat exclusive beyond having high annual fee.

Now I'm not convinced that the standards are significantly higher than the requirements to obtain a standard Visa or MasterCard.
In many ways, it is easier to get an Amex Platinum than a Capital One Venture or Venture X.

What I still don’t get is why some people seem to “rank” Delta Reserve holders as more deserving of SkyClub access than Amex Platinum holders.
Old May 27, 2022, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos
In many ways, it is easier to get an Amex Platinum than a Capital One Venture or Venture X.

What I still don’t get is why some people seem to “rank” Delta Reserve holders as more deserving of SkyClub access than Amex Platinum holders.
Maybe it's because the Plat card gives access to other lounges, such as PP (in addition to Centurion and Escape/AmExStudio). Could the attitude be that those with the Plat card can use other lounges?
Old May 27, 2022, 11:13 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
In response to DenverBrian's post #99:

This reminds me of the behavior of some Titanic passengers who were lucky enough to get into a lifeboat.
I think the expression that you're searching for is: "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
Old May 27, 2022, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by zxrst
While I am an avid arrival user, I still prefer to get the hotels/home as quickly as possible. In no way would I change my flight schedule for a 15 minute's trip to SC. Frankly, I do not even go to SC after most arrivals due to 1) I need to pick up Checked-in luggage, 2) The particular SC is below average or 3) there is a line to check in.
Much of my travel is as part of a team. Occasionally, I will arrival an hour or so before others. Being able to wait in the club is a solid benefit.
Old May 27, 2022, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
If your connection is on Delta the three hour rule doesn't apply anyway, but there is no time limit on arrival and they really wouldn't have anyway of enforcing it since you're already in the club.

If you have a ten hour layover I'd just take CTA into city for the day. Ten hours is a long time to spend in the skyclub.
Chicago? Ten hours is also a long time to spend in a shooting gallery. Especially when you might be the target.
Old May 28, 2022, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Maybe it's because the Plat card gives access to other lounges, such as PP (in addition to Centurion and Escape/AmExStudio). Could the attitude be that those with the Plat card can use other lounges?
And there have been reports that centurion and Platinum AMEX cardholders have been given priority to the centurion lounges when they are at capacity. If this is truly the case then Delta Reserve members should be given priority over other AmEx cardholders
Old May 28, 2022, 4:09 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt Explorist, Wyndham Diamond
Does anyone know if transcon D1 arrivals are allowed skyclub access? The only thing I’m certain of is that longhaul D1 overseas arrivals are allowed access but not sure about domestic D1.
Old May 28, 2022, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by xjaehyun
Does anyone know if transcon D1 arrivals are allowed skyclub access? The only thing I’m certain of is that longhaul D1 overseas arrivals are allowed access but not sure about domestic D1.
Arrival access was restored in all cases, so it would seem so.
Old May 29, 2022, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
My theory that the Platinum cards are responsible for the overcrowding is just a theory, but the SkyClubs were not this bad pre-pandemic. The difference between now and then is that Amex basically paid people last year to sign up for the Platinum, and now the clubs are massively overcrowded.

If you can't admit that there's at least a plausible linkage between the two, I have nothing for you.
Well I told you why I don’t think it’s a plausible linkage, at least in terms of the magnitude of impact it’s having. Do you have any actual data about the increase in Plat cardholders? Or just a wildass guess that they’re giving them out like candy with huge bonuses so “everyone” is signing up?

More likely - a much higher mix of leisure vs business travel in recent months, which means families and checked bags and earlier arrivals at the airport…and more crowded clubs.
Old May 29, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by ijgordon
More likely - a much higher mix of leisure vs business travel in recent months, which means families and checked bags and earlier arrivals at the airport…and more crowded clubs.
Agree. Staffing shortages are exacerbating the overcrowding effect too. Long lines to check-in and/or the bar/buffet could be sped up with more staff, and the club would seem less overcrowded.

In my experience, restuarants in the terminal are often the same or worse. I've observed long lines for tables while only 60-75% of the space is being used due to staffing issues.
Old May 30, 2022, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
And there have been reports that centurion and Platinum AMEX cardholders have been given priority to the centurion lounges when they are at capacity. If this is truly the case then Delta Reserve members should be given priority over other AmEx cardholders
Platinum AMEX is more "elite" than Delta Reserve across the board. Delta Reserve will never be given any priority over the holder of a AMEX Platinum, except in the goofy upgrade algorithm. But an AMEX Platinum card holder is paying for first class anyway, not begging for the Reserve upgrade. Haha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.