Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arrival access to SkyClubs restored!

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by USCTrojan83
The food line at JFK today stretched at least 50 people deep, passing the soda machine on the other side of the bar. This isn’t a lounge, it’s a stressful cafeteria. They really need to do something to get these crowds under control.

They tried.

But it turns out people don't want to give up anything.
Minnyappleus likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 6:20 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
They tried.

Maybe a better operation with fewer delays, cancellations, and missed connections would result in people spending less time in the lounge and reduce overcrowding? Just a thought.
Old May 25, 2022, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
They tried.

They didn't try, otherwise they would have axed Amex Platinum access.
Old May 26, 2022, 4:15 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Everyone wants the overcrowding problem solved by removing SOMEONE ELSE's access.
ijgordon, hotturnip and chrisny2 like this.
Old May 26, 2022, 4:58 am

Everyone wants the overcrowding problem solved by removing SOMEONE ELSE's access.
I access the SkyClub using an Amex platinum. I'd happily give it up if it meant making the SkyClubs usable again.
Old May 26, 2022, 9:07 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
I access the SkyClub using an Amex platinum. I'd happily give it up if it meant making the SkyClubs usable again.
I'm guessing what you really mean is "I'd happily give up my AMEX Plat access to Sky Clubs since I have an alternate means of access"?

Otherwise, going to the SC isn't mandatory -- if you are generously willing to forego your own SC access to make it usable for other people, you could simply stop going

Everything old on FT is new again: (2016) DL Hikes SkyClub Membership Fee

Originally Posted by bennos
I don't think an extra $50/year will discourage most people who were already willing to shell out $450 or $695. I suspect credit card entries are as much a cause of the overcrowding as the "Diamond giveaway", though at peak times it's the J and STE+ crowd. So by FT standards presumably whichever crowd you're not in is the one that should lose access.
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
I disagree, I'm in the Diamond comp crowd, and I feel that's the first one that should go...
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Zorak
Do you have some other form of access like a Reserve card? Otherwise, it seems like if you feel DM shouldn't have access, you could just stop going, and that solves two problems the club will be less crowded by one person and you won't be bothered by it
DenverBrian and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old May 26, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Terminal D Club at LGA the busiest I have ever seen it. I have had some good days/nights here over the years, including some fun times at the bar, but haven't seen it like this. Basically every seat taken (we eventually found a seat). They had the "at capacity" sign up but were letting people in when we got here.

In addition to new clubs opening here and elsewhere, something else will need to change in terms of access.
Old May 26, 2022, 4:02 pm

I'm guessing what you really mean is "I'd happily give up my AMEX Plat access to Sky Clubs since I have an alternate means of access"?

Otherwise, going to the SC isn't mandatory -- if you are generously willing to forego your own SC access to make it usable for other people, you could simply stop going

Everything old on FT is new again: (2016) DL Hikes SkyClub Membership Fee

​​​​​​
No, I'd get the Reserve again.
Old May 26, 2022, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Plenty of FTers who firmly believe in pulling up the ladder once they're on board the ship.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 4:06 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
​​​​​​
No, I'd get the Reserve again.
... which would be an alternate means of access. The fact you don't have it yet isn't exactly relevant, this is just another variation on "they should cut access for anyone who doesn't get access the way I do (or plan to)."
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 4:12 pm

... which would be an alternate means of access. The fact you don't have it yet isn't exactly relevant, this is just another variation on "they should cut access for anyone who doesn't get access the way I do (or plan to)."
No, it's an observation that SkyClub traffic skyrocketed after the Amex Platinum become so much more widely held in the last year, itself a side affect of Amex essentially handing the card out to anyone with a pulse. Amex and Delta oversold lounge access, and now we're seeing the results. The Centurion lounges have the exact same problem.

From a business perspective Delta would be foolish to anger Amex by dropping Platinum access, but from purely a "fix overcrowding" perspective, it would address the problem.
Old May 26, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
No, it's an observation that SkyClub traffic skyrocketed after the Amex Platinum become so much more widely held in the last year, itself a side affect of Amex essentially handing the card out to anyone with a pulse. Amex and Delta oversold lounge access, and now we're seeing the results. The Centurion lounges have the exact same problem.

From a business perspective Delta would be foolish to anger Amex by dropping Platinum access, but from purely a "fix overcrowding" perspective, it would address the problem.
Not just Platinum. Everyone and their mother at the SkyClub bar seems to have that shiny purple card
Old May 26, 2022, 7:44 pm

I'm not sure this is actually all that new, since people have been complaining about crowding in both for a while, but...

... ok, point taken.
KDCAflyer likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 9:00 pm

It's been a nightmare lately. I at least wish they'd consider at least having priority entrance and dedicated seating for those who are members (either via paying or choice benefits) vs those who just have via Amex.
jamesteroh and KDCAflyer like this.
Old May 26, 2022, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That’s absurd. How much do you think Amex grew the Plat card base over the past year? Unlikely much more than 10%. Do you think they significantly relaxed credit standards vs prior years?? Platinum was never that difficult to get. Also remember they jacked up the annual fee mid-year for new cardholders too. “Anyone with a pulse” is not spending $700 on a credit card no matter the value of the benefits. I can pretty much guarantee that the vast majority of guests in the club who got in via Amex Plat have had the card for years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.