Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL says I was not on a flight that I was definitely on

Old May 10, 2022, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Gold

So this is a new one. A flight I took 2.5 weeks ago hadn't posted yet, so I called today and they told me it was because I was a no-show. This was the outbound flight of a round-trip award ticket. The return posted normally. When I look at the receipt online it indeed shows the first segment as "OPEN". The rep called multiple departments who all said I wasn't on the manifest, so I wasn't on the flight, but.....I was on that flight. I just want to get the MQDs for it, but I'm at a loss for what I can do at this point. Curious if anyone has any ideas.
Old May 10, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by CaptainEasychord
So this is a new one. A flight I took 2.5 weeks ago hadn't posted yet, so I called today and they told me it was because I was a no-show. This was the outbound flight of a round-trip award ticket. The return posted normally. When I look at the receipt online it indeed shows the first segment as "OPEN". The rep called multiple departments who all said I wasn't on the manifest, so I wasn't on the flight, but.....I was on that flight. I just want to get the MQDs for it, but I'm at a loss for what I can do at this point. Curious if anyone has any ideas.
That is why I still print BPs.
Old May 10, 2022, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mot29
That is why I still print BPs.
I think they would just tell me I printed it but never boarded.
Old May 10, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
You could try to point out the fact that Delta would've canceled your return ticket had you not boarded the outbound, but per their own records, they have given you credit in acknowledgement of flying the return.
Spiff, Daze, josephstern and 9 others like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 10:32 am

Programs: DL DM
Have them refund you the miles for the outbound.
Old May 10, 2022, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
If you were on a flight but not on a manifest, a GA somewhere is potentially getting fired.

I wouldn't let this go. Someone screwed up big time.
Hepsaint, Hoyaheel, FMDXR and 5 others like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
By chance do you have receipts from checked bags?
Hoyaheel, FabCW and Kerrirdh like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I had this happen, but it was on the return trip rather than the outbound. The scanner at the airport wasn't working, so the GA handwrote everyone's name and seat number on paper to get us on board. We were delayed about 2 hours so they could submit a manifest manually, and of course my miles never posted (treated as no show). I just submitted a scanned copy of my BP and bag receipts on the website and the credit was there in a few days.
FMDXR and Kerrirdh like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by safigan
By chance do you have receipts from checked bags?
You can check a bag and still no show the flight. The bag is supposed to be removed for international (but not domestic) as there's a security concern that the person could have deliberately missed the flight.

Other indirect evidence that at least helps to establish that OP was at the airport would be a receipt from an airport purchase, a rental car receipt, a receipt for airport transportation (at either end), etc.

If OP entered a SkyClub, DL should have that data.
Kerrirdh likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Other indirect evidence that at least helps to establish that OP was at the airport would be a receipt from an airport purchase, a rental car receipt, a receipt for airport transportation (at either end), etc.

If OP entered a SkyClub, DL should have that data.
Oh, good points. I didn't check bags, but I did use the SkyClub and bought wi-fi on the flight, so I can message DL with that info.

Also, this was an international flight (JFK-SXM), so I would have expected some other problem to come up because of this. I guess Saint Martin is just chill about this type of thing, lol?
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Likely the agent isn't looking at the reservation. They're looking simply at the ticket, it says OPEN, and concluding you didn't fly. Nowadays miles post based off the ticket. Thus they likely don't know hpw/aren't trained to look at reservations system. I'm betting it shows you onboard. For whatever reason (IRROP, computer hiccup, etc) the flight coupon for that flight segment remained OPEN instead of closing.

if you hadn't boarded, the reservation (not the ticket) would have auto canceled all remaining segments.

Was there IRROP/SDC/SDS/something out of ordinary that happened?
MSPeconomist and hhdl like this.
Old May 10, 2022, 2:49 pm

Buying wifi on a flight you never boarded is about as bullet-proof evidence as you can get. Assuming you were traveling alone.
Old May 10, 2022, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Likely the agent isn't looking at the reservation. They're looking simply at the ticket, it says OPEN, and concluding you didn't fly. Nowadays miles post based off the ticket. Thus they likely don't know hpw/aren't trained to look at reservations system. I'm betting it shows you onboard. For whatever reason (IRROP, computer hiccup, etc) the flight coupon for that flight segment remained OPEN instead of closing.

if you hadn't boarded, the reservation (not the ticket) would have auto canceled all remaining segments.

Was there IRROP/SDC/SDS/something out of ordinary that happened?
There were no irregularities I'm aware of, and this was the original flight I purchased. But your explanation makes sense, so I submitted a request online with the explanation and wi-fi confirmation number.

Thanks to everyone for the advice...fingers crossed.
Pittie Pup likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Tell them you'd be more than willing to file a complaint with the FAA since the flight manifest was wrong. I doubt this is actually the case though. Can phone agents even see the flight manifest?
Old May 10, 2022, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Buying wifi on a flight you never boarded is about as bullet-proof evidence as you can get. Assuming you were traveling alone.
Isn't it possible to purchase wifi in advance of a flight? If so, would DL be able to see whether you actually used the wifi on board?
Goodoldflyer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.