Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best check in at ATL

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2022, 8:33 pm

ATL Flyer

Originally Posted by tbeard
Greetings, My son and I will be taking a 9:40am flight from ATL to SEA on a Monday. We will have to check bags including a bike. We will be staying at a Hilton property by the airport the night before and taking an airport shuttle. Although I have connected through ATL tons I have never originated from there. Read horror stories about lines in ATL. What time should we get there and are there any tips on where to check in or where to get through security. I am Diamind and he is Platinum...both pre-check...I have clear but he does not. Thanks in advance.
I'm an ATL native. I make it a point never to be at the airport less than two hours before a flight. If you have access to the SkyClubs go ahead and schlep over to the airport around 6am, check in, and chill and have breakfast in a club. That way you don't have to stress about unexpected complications - you have time for things to go awry. ATL is a very, very large airport but fairly straightforward in layout. Even without SC access there are still places to grab a nibble - I like to go through security and then find a place to park in a concourse near my departure gate rather than trying to dine landside.
Old May 10, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: SPG, DL
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Wouldn't be bad if Clear PC lane got to use all the PC security lanes. However that's not the case, Clear PC gets like 3 lanes, while Precheck gets 6 or more.
IME, you can walk to any open lane once you are identity verified. In fact I'm often directed to other lanes when the lane dedicated to Clear fills up.

To OP, international is your best bet for speed, although I'm not sure how they handle oversized luggage (i'm sure they can, just haven't personally done it). You'll be at the tail end of the morning rush--still bad but better than an 8a flight. I'd plan on an hour to check bag and clear security. Arrive at 8a and go to the sky club when you make it through by 8:30.
emma dog likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATLawyer
IME, you can walk to any open lane once you are identity verified. In fact I'm often directed to other lanes when the lane dedicated to Clear fills up.

To OP, international is your best bet for speed, although I'm not sure how they handle oversized luggage (i'm sure they can, just haven't personally done it). You'll be at the tail end of the morning rush--still bad but better than an 8a flight. I'd plan on an hour to check bag and clear security. Arrive at 8a and go to the sky club when you make it through by 8:30.
IME, TSA agents stop you. They act like cause you skipped their ID checker, you're different.
emma dog likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
I would sign Junior up for Clear now. Otherwise, the advice is spot on. Shame there is the oversized item. That is going to cost you some time and trouble.

But two travelers with pre-check and Clear would virtually eliminate the odds of a long security line delay situation for you.

I would not waste money signing Junior up for Clear because of a flight in Atlanta. Because the clear line is often longer than the pre-check line. I timed it. I checked what the guy getting in the clear line was wearing and I turned around to see where he was when I got to id check at precheck. Nowhere near check in

Clear is a huge waste of money in Atlanta. If I didn’t use it at other airports I would’ve canceled it
emma dog likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by ATLawyer
Yeah, this was the case about a month ago. A lot has changed since than. Longer Clear lines and it only as 2 or 3 lanes. And no, they weren't directing us to any open lanes. What's the point of having Clear?
emma dog likes this.
Old May 15, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Funny enough, I arrived after my coworker for an ATL flight and he has Clear. I saw him as I worked my way through the TSA PreCheck maze, and there were quite a few people behind him (maybe 20-30?) when I was just walking up. This was around 9a on Thursday morning.

I got through security about 30 seconds after he did. So Clear was definitely slower on that day...
Old May 15, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by emma dog
Clear is a waste in ATL. Precheck is shorter 99.9% of the time.

Recently the lines are more Delta check in related rather than the TSA.
Friday 5/13 at 2pm ATL Precheck line was half full (snaked around about 10-12 turns. Clear had no line. I walked right up to the kiosk.
Guess I am the 0.1%.
Old May 15, 2022, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Last Thursday about 5:45, the Clear Precheck line was to the entrance, and not moving. The regular Precheck line was winding around several stanchions, but moving steadily. After waiting about 10 minutes in the Clear line and seeing only a handful of people move forward, I switched lines. In the past, the PreCheck line has been much shorter.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 7:56 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
All these programs are only succesful/quicker until every single person gets them. Its been this way since they started this BS. Just like global entry. Every single thing is "special" until everyone is "special". Its a one way street; the more people that sign up for the services, the worse they will get. I remember when TSA pre-check was new and you had 1-2 people in that line at most.
emma dog likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 8:02 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
Friday 5/13 at 2pm ATL Precheck line was half full (snaked around about 10-12 turns. Clear had no line. I walked right up to the kiosk.
Guess I am the 0.1%.
That's pretty unusual IME, but anything can happen.

A challenge in this thread at this point is we are debating anecdotes and unpublished data. The GREAT news for all is you can make a spot decision on which line you want to be in: Pre or Pre/Clear. Just be aware if you go Pre/Clear is that there are 2-3 dedicated scanners (YMMV if you can use the others) and there are frequently >6 scanners for the PRE line.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 7:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM
I visited SEA, SFO, LAX over the summer and their TSA Clear lines are a breeze. ATL is a joke. Also, the ATL sky clubs can learn a thing or two from the aforementioned airport sky clubs.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 9:20 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by golfr
I visited SEA, SFO, LAX over the summer and their TSA Clear lines are a breeze. ATL is a joke. Also, the ATL sky clubs can learn a thing or two from the aforementioned airport sky clubs.
SEA, SFO, and LAX (the last 2 particularly) are set up with multiple checkpoints across the airport, which probably helps spread out passenger traffic and avoid some of the bottlenecks that ATL has.

Though I will say that in my experience the fancy “new” bag scanners at the ATL Pre/Clear lanes take a lot longer to process bags than the older style machines. Usually with the old machines my bag is out pretty quickly, but with the new ones there’s a bunch of us waiting a long time for bags to come through.
emma dog likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 5:20 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Arrived at 0355 at ATL on a Thursday morning for a 0520 flight. Neither Clear Pre nor regular Pre had opened yet (both open at 0430). General security line looked like it would be at least 90 minutes and I might miss my flight. Waited in general line until 0425, left that line and Pre was at least already 100 people deep (people had queued waiting for it to open). Walked up to Clear Pre and was #4 in line, breezed through.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ryw
SEA, SFO, and LAX (the last 2 particularly) are set up with multiple checkpoints across the airport, which probably helps spread out passenger traffic and avoid some of the bottlenecks that ATL has.

Though I will say that in my experience the fancy “new” bag scanners at the ATL Pre/Clear lanes take a lot longer to process bags than the older style machines. Usually with the old machines my bag is out pretty quickly, but with the new ones there’s a bunch of us waiting a long time for bags to come through.
It was funny yesterday at ATL. Automated lanes were all open. Backed fully up (couldn't even push tray onto conveyor) The two manual (old style) lanes were moving right along. I think issue is a computer does the determination not a human. Humans seem to process quicker, plus there's less false positives (IME).

Clear passengers are now allowed to use any open lane.. Previous they were only letting you use the lanes by clear equipment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.