Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checking bags at layover airport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2022, 9:44 am
Original Member

they'll bat half an eye and do it no problem. Duty free, quick shopping trip, bulky outer garments all would be a reason for a mid-trip check of luggage.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by dmbolp
Can we just leave our big Europe bags at home in Atlanta while going to/from MCO, and then check our Europe bags at ATL during our 12 hour layover, and if so, I assume no earlier than the 4 hour before flight rule?
With your approach, you could have a problem during IROPs. Bringing the bags along with you allows you to reroute if needed on your trip from MCO. Not necessarily likely, but you could find yourself in a bind. Even a delay, albeit a long one, could become a problem.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by cre95
With your approach, you could have a problem during IROPs. Bringing the bags along with you allows you to reroute if needed on your trip from MCO. Not necessarily likely, but you could find yourself in a bind. Even a delay, albeit a long one, could become a problem.
Good point. But we're hoping to have IRROPS covered, as worse case we could jump in a rental car at MCO and make the 6 hour drive to Atlanta, get our bags, and head to ATL in time for that flight (hopefully they let us on without taking the delayed/cancelled first leg). But you've made me realize, I'm also gonna book a backup MCO-ATL flight on Southwest just in case; thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2022, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by dmbolp
Good point. But we're hoping to have IRROPS covered, as worse case we could jump in a rental car at MCO and make the 6 hour drive to Atlanta, get our bags, and head to ATL in time for that flight (hopefully they let us on without taking the delayed/cancelled first leg). But you've made me realize, I'm also gonna book a backup MCO-ATL flight on Southwest just in case; thanks!
what if the MCO-ATL flight is fine but your ATL flight onward cancels? You will almost certainly have more reroute options from MCO since you'll have an earlier start.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
what if the MCO-ATL flight is fine but your ATL flight onward cancels? You will almost certainly have more reroute options from MCO since you'll have an earlier start.
Good point as well. But if that happens (MCO-ATL is fine), we'll be in ATL anyway, and if bags had been checked we'd have to pick them up in ATL, right? We'll take our chances getting out of ATL with bags already in hand. And since we live there, easy to go home and back to the airport next morning.

Edit: Ah, I get it now, you're saying IF it's known early in the morning that MCO-ATL is fine (before we take that leg) but also known that ATL-DUB is cancelled...got it

Last edited by dmbolp; Jun 20, 2022 at 8:08 am
Old Jun 20, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: DL Million Miler
Several times connecting in AMS with a ~5 hour layover I've gone into town, loaded up the carry-on with beer, then checked the (now former) carry-on at AMS no problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.