Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Old May 12, 2022, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
And it's a nice benefit for Delta cardholders that helps distinguish them between Platinum cardholders. Reserve cardholders can't guest in people in the Centurion Lounges and currently Centurion cardholers have guesting privlidges in those lounges so it's fair to only offer the benefit to reserve card holders
I have both a personal and business reserve card and rarely use my four passes every year.
They can, but they have to pay a fee:

Complimentary Access to The Centurion Lounge

Delta SkyMiles Reserve Basic and Additional Card Members receive complimentary access to The Centurion Lounge when flying on a same-day Delta-marketed or Delta-operated flight. The eligible flight must be booked on a U.S. issued American Express charge or credit Card. A Card Member may bring up to two guests at a per-visit rate of $50 per person, per location.
Old May 12, 2022, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Minnyappleus
The two SkyClub guest passes per year on the AMEX Reserve is also unnecessary IMO and adds to crowding...

I'd rather Delta increase/implement guest pricing to bring in the revenue to build more and larger clubs able to handle the volume.
The 2 guest passes were added when they increased the price of guesting people in with the card as kind of an appeasement for that. I'm not overly convinced that 2 guest passes over the course of an entire year is really contributing to overcrowding in lounges.
Old May 12, 2022, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by cardsqc

Delta SkyMiles Reserve Basic and Additional Card Members receive complimentary access to The Centurion Lounge when flying on a same-day Delta-marketed or Delta-operated flight. The eligible flight must be booked on a U.S. issued American Express charge or credit Card. A Card Member may bring up to two guests at a per-visit rate of $50 per person, per location.

Sorry, meant for free. Currently Platinum cardholers can guest people into the CL for free (I know that is changing soon) where Delta Reserve cardholders can't. Platinum cardholders can guest people into skyclubs for the free but Reserve cardholders get two free passes a year which I think it fair seeing they raised the annual fee when the implemented that benefit.

I don't really think that is contributing much to the clubs being at capacity.
Old May 12, 2022, 10:53 am

Just got the email. I am really happy they listened

"We value your input – and we’ve acted on it. Just as you can today, customers with Delta Sky Club access may continue to use Clubs upon arrival."
volabam likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Play by Plane
Just got the email. I am really happy they listened

"We value your input and weve acted on it. Just as you can today, customers with Delta Sky Club access may continue to use Clubs upon arrival."
When I saw the subject line I thought they were doubling down. Was so glad to be wrong!
Old May 12, 2022, 11:42 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Minnyappleus
You've missed the point of this post. Clearly FAs follow the outline DL sets for them. My point was that I (and others) should no longer accept COVID cutbacks as the company claws away even more benefits. I've been giving DL a pass on service and quality and will now become more vocal - phone, email, and surveys - about the experience when necessary. Delta does listen and compensate when appropriate.
It doesn't matter now since the arrivals changes have rolled back, but DL isn't going to compensate you ten times if you complain ten times about not getting the things you requested in your prior post. If you complain to people in-person like FAs, you're going to get laughed at or told to e-mail DL. If you're doing that constantly, DL's going to flag you as someone who complains constantly and send you form letters.
Old May 12, 2022, 11:42 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I'm happy that people who want arrivals access are going to get it back. I'm worried that the next change DL makes to reduce club overcrowding will be more significant and affect more people.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

Sorry, meant for free. Currently Platinum cardholers can guest people into the CL for free (I know that is changing soon) where Delta Reserve cardholders can't. Platinum cardholders can guest people into skyclubs paying the fee but Reserve cardholders get two free passes a year which I think it fair seeing they raised the annual fee when the implemented that benefit.

I don't really think that is contributing much to the clubs being at capacity.

Last edited by jamesteroh; May 12, 2022 at 12:41 pm Reason: Meant to type fee instead of free
Old May 12, 2022, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Sorry, meant for free. Currently Platinum cardholers can guest people into the CL for free (I know that is changing soon) where Delta Reserve cardholders can't. Platinum cardholders can guest people into skyclubs for the free but Reserve cardholders get two free passes a year which I think it fair seeing they raised the annual fee when the implemented that benefit.
I'm not sure if you meant to say "for free" or "for the fee", but Amex Platinum charge card holders cannot really guest people into SkyClubs for free. It's $39/person, but you can use your $200 airline incidental credit toward that.
Old May 12, 2022, 1:41 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles | Platinum
The 2 guest passes were added when they increased the price of guesting people in with the card as kind of an appeasement for that. I'm not overly convinced that 2 guest passes over the course of an entire year is really contributing to overcrowding in lounges.
The guest passes were also added at the same time the card fee was increased by $100. My thought is that Delta assumed many would use and many would not use this "benefit" and pocket the difference... They could just as well eliminate it and charge for guests.
Old May 12, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles | Platinum
Originally Posted by steveholt
It doesn't matter now since the arrivals changes have rolled back, but DL isn't going to compensate you ten times if you complain ten times about not getting the things you requested in your prior post. If you complain to people in-person like FAs, you're going to get laughed at or told to e-mail DL. If you're doing that constantly, DL's going to flag you as someone who complains constantly and send you form letters.
Again, neither post was directed at complaining to FAs, rather to Delta about their false narratives of service. They're the ones setting the bar high and underdelivering. Again, warranted complaints are listened to - and over the past past two years of flights - I've picked my battles (twice) and submitted warranted feedback when necessary and have received prompt and satisfactory responses from Delta.
Old May 12, 2022, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by demkr
Happy to see this! Goes to show that they're listening.
/Conspiracy Theory Hat On
Or maybe they never intended to deny access on arrival at all. Maybe this was all just a ruse to get people to opine about how much they simply love ❣️ visiting the SkyClub after arriving at their destination.

Now they can cite this enthusiasm in their ads with the added bonus of "Our customers spoke. We listened."
/Conspiracy Theory Hat Off
ShopAround, volabam and fsuj25 like this.
Old May 12, 2022, 9:55 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by kale73
Or maybe they never intended to deny access on arrival at all. Maybe this was all just a ruse to get people to opine about how much they simply love ❣️ visiting the SkyClub after arriving at their destination.

Now they can cite this enthusiasm in their ads with the added bonus of "Our customers spoke. We listened."
It's like the theory that New Coke was introduced to allow the Coca-Cola company to switch from sugar to corn syrup. Donald Keough (President and COO of Coca Cola) said: Some critics will say Coca-Cola made a marketing mistake. Some cynics will say that we planned the whole thing. The truth is we are not that dumb, and we are not that smart.
Old May 14, 2022, 4:22 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Looks like too many important customers actually valued arrival access. Nice response to feedback.

Now - what is the alternative move Delta should make to reduce crowding?
Cut Amex Plat from the access list. There's a strong case that the Delta Reserve card folks spend a lot (generating a lot of interchange fees for Amex and purchased points via Amex), but the generic Amex Platinum folks are a trickier proposition. [To be fair, I don't know what this would cost DL in lost revenue.]

Edit: If I had to guess, a real part of the problem is elite rank inflation brought about by pandemic allowances. Like, if I max my Delta Reserve MQM bonuses and don't credit a single flight to DL, my Platinum status will expire...in early 2033. I doubt I'm the only one in this position; if anything, the MQM rollover probably means there are a ton of folks who can "ride" Platinum for the next few years with very little effort given that Diamond is out of reach for them (as it is for me) due to the high MQD waiver threshold. And as far as I can tell, on most long-haul itineraries, that gets them into the SC under SkyTeam Elite Plus. It really isn't that hard for folks to have limped into Gold over the last few years...three years of mileage collecting time and CC MQMs counting towards it mean that basically anybody who hasn't stuck certain cards in a sock drawer over the last few years almost assuredly has Gold by now, if not Platinum.
jamesteroh likes this.

Last edited by GrayAnderson; May 14, 2022 at 4:33 am
Old May 14, 2022, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kale73

Good point. I've seen a few posts on the fb group that they love Delta for reasons like this, that they listen to their customers. Makes no sense to love Delta over this, they are simply not making a change and the changes they are putting in place make access harder than with their competition.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.