Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2022, 10:54 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Plat, Lifetime Skyclub
There have been some thoughtful posts about how Delta might have analyzed data and used some type of metric to make this change, but I'm more skeptical. I think they used the SWAG system to decide what to do about the overcrowding problem: Scientific Wild Assed Guess.
jamesteroh and volabam like this.
Old May 11, 2022, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dw
Agreed that this avenue is likely for those who expense their memberships- there’s certainly a reason the credit card avenue is overall cheaper than the price of membership… DL (and AA and UA) clearly value those card memberships more than club membership.
Yup, even less reason to “prioritize” those types of memberships if they’re not even paid for by the members! At least it’s been entertaining to read the mental gymnastics some are using to justify the higher importance of “paid” club memberships (not to mention how many are free Diamond benefits).

if DL wants to have different tier memberships, with different access rules/benefits/priorities, then let them advertise it as such, and price it as such.
Adelphos and VFR like this.
Old May 11, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Yup, even less reason to “prioritize” those types of memberships if they’re not even paid for by the members! At least it’s been entertaining to read the mental gymnastics some are using to justify the higher importance of “paid” club memberships (not to mention how many are free Diamond benefits).

if DL wants to have different tier memberships, with different access rules/benefits/priorities, then let them advertise it as such, and price it as such.
Axing free Diamond memberships would be a good way to address overcrowding. AA and UA don't offer that benefit.
dw, ijgordon and BamaGirl like this.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; May 11, 2022 at 11:31 am
Old May 11, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I think getting rid of access for any of the current groups that have access (cardholders, members, Diamonds) isn't going to fly - more than other airlines, Delta uses the SkyClub as marketing to get a passengers to choose the airline. I am sure some Diamonds fly Delta because they can choose or gift a SkyClub membership. Even doing something like getting rid of pay per visit access for the Delta Platinum card may be going to far
Old May 11, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Add me to the list of pissed off SC members that often uses the lounge on arrival.

Originally Posted by MrHockey
Make come as a surprise, they do have restrooms in the terminals for the commoners. You can even change clothes in the handicap stall if needed.
Public airport ladies rooms are often pretty gross. Not a place where you can change and freshen up anywhere near as nicely as in a clean, often spacious SC ladies room.
Old May 11, 2022, 11:47 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Axing free Diamond memberships would be a good way to address overcrowding. AA and UA don't offer that benefit.
AA lets EXPs choose an Admirals Club membership (which comes with two guests) at the cost of two loyalty choice rewards.
Old May 11, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by VFR
AA lets EXPs choose an Admirals Club membership (which comes with two guests) at the cost of two loyalty choice rewards.
Sure, but that requires the EXP member to forgo SWUs. I suspect that the choice for club membership is much less automatic than for DMs.
Old May 11, 2022, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC DMs have lounge access, not memberships (unless they purchase a membership).
Old May 11, 2022, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
When I saw the email announcement my first thought was I guess I could have been using the Club on arrival this whole time.

I guess "you don't know what you've got till it's gone" has never been more true.

My next thought was FT is going to lose it. It was already a few pages long at that point. Now, a few days and 28 pages later you all have not disappointed.

I totally respect this change may mean something to many, but this change means basically nothing in my world. I am still allowed in the club during the only times I ever use it.
emma dog likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 1:50 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by john1928
Delta has the numbers and knows how the math works. While the annual fee generates some revenue for them and is part of the story, every dollar spent (and thus mile purchased by Amex) generates incremental revenue
It's also possible Delta is getting part of the interchange on every purchase (or perhaps that's just calculated into the purchase price per mile Amex pays them). I've seen references to splitting the interchange in certain other cobrand card relationships.
Old May 11, 2022, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
I don't have a problem with any of the changes because they don't affect me personally
Ditto. I rarely use lounge after a domestic arrival as my objective is to get home (or to my hotel ASAP). Though on rare occasion I have been know to stop in the UC lounge @sfo to grab a diet coke and a cookie. But I can live without it.

Originally Posted by WannabePBA
The FAQs state you can enter 3 hours prior to your standby flight but that you must “intend” to board the flight if cleared. In other words, they don’t want you standing by for an earlier flight just to circumvent the 3 hour rule.
As noted elsewhere I rarely arrive at airport >1 hour before boarding, I basically try to time it so I have as little waiting time as possible but always to leave a margin for traffic, unusual security lines, etc. So 3 hours is fine, and if I am going that early it is because I have a high confidence on boarding the earlier flight.

The bigger problem is flight delays and missed connections. Have not seen how those situations will be handled.

Originally Posted by DTWflyer
I haven't read all these posts but this isn't going to do a darn thing.

I'm fine with the 3 hour rule

The arrivals thing is really annoying. Like said, many times I have gone into a club after an early morning flights that is quasi-redeye to basically collect myself and get ready for my day before heading to a customer/client site. At 8-9am, at least the clubs I've been into at that hour, have never been busy.
If that isn't when they are "busy" then why limit access?
I don't do domestic red-eye but if I did would concur. Presume this does not apply to international biz class tickets, particularly TATL, otherwise that would be hugely uncompetitive as the arrivals lougnes are sometimes a lifesaver when you have to go straight to the office. Also quite critical when you want to shower or just rest during a long connection.
Old May 11, 2022, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Sure, but that requires the EXP member to forgo SWUs. I suspect that the choice for club membership is much less automatic than for DMs.
And if a diamond wants to get an exec membership it means they lose two choice gifts as well. And American requires fewer miles for top teir than Delta and their certificates are a lot easier to use than Delta's. I'd be happy with them scrapping the free membership as a choice gift if they made the GUC's easier to use and had more inventory.

And United and American also don't allow AmEx swipes. I'm sure Delta has a lot more AmEx swipes than Diamonds using a choice gift for a membership
Old May 11, 2022, 2:30 pm

Hot take-credit card access is the problem (and mine is via a credit card, so this is not a "it's another group of people who are the problem so cut their access" post) but DL's contract with Amex likely doesn't allow them to prioritize actual memberships over card access (which would cause a number of cardholders to dump Amex and buy SC membership directly).
Old May 11, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by volabam
Hot take-credit card access is the problem (and mine is via a credit card, so this is not a "it's another group of people who are the problem so cut their access" post) but DL's contract with Amex likely doesn't allow them to prioritize actual memberships over card access (which would cause a number of cardholders to dump Amex and buy SC membership directly).
This (sort of) assumes delta would want to do that, which I highly doubt they do, even if amex said "do whatever you want."

I also don't think people would trade the card for lounge membership. My guess is, maybe they keep the card, maybe they don't, but they wouldn't buy lounge access either way.
Boraxo, volabam and VFR like this.
Old May 11, 2022, 3:07 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by volabam
I note two significant differences between the Admirals Club / United Club and the Sky Club:

1. Amex Platinum gets you into the Sky Club.
2. AA/UA have separate lounges for international J.

Anecdotally, The ORD H/K Admirals Club was packed in February to the point where it was hard to find a seat. When they re-opened the Flagship Lounge, it then became easy to find a seat in the Admirals Club.

Amex has sold the Amex Platinum hard, and I would guess that the large number of Amex Platinum holders combined with the shift towards premium leisure travelers has caused the Sky Club crowding issues. I do not think that Delta particularly wants to prioritize paid memberships or Reserve cards over Amex Platinum holders; for an explanation of why, see NYC Flyer's post #392.

Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
This (sort of) assumes delta would want to do that, which I highly doubt they do, even if amex said "do whatever you want."

I also don't think people would trade the card for lounge membership. My guess is, maybe they keep the card, maybe they don't, but they wouldn't buy lounge access either way.
I would guess most people don't get the Amex Platinum just for Sky Club access; they get it for the benefits package of which Sky Club access is one of the items. If Sky Club access was eliminated, I agree that they would not all rush out to buy memberships.

Conversely, I would guess most people get the Delta Reserve for Sky Club access (cue the FTers who will explain to me why they pay for a SC membership and have it for the companion cert).

Full disclosure: I have an Amex Platinum and occasionally fly transcon/intercontinental business class (when it's cheap or I can get an upgrade).
volabam likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.