Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Old May 5, 2022, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC military people get AmEx card fees waived.
lsquare and volabam like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC military people get AmEx card fees waived.
Active military, yes.
lsquare and volabam like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Members of the military are not charged annual fees for credit card, by federal statute.

I access the SkyClubs through my Amex Plat and that’s the main reason I fly Delta when i do. I’m mainly flying out of NY and DC and have no need to fly one particular carrier. I just buy F and take the flight I like best. I would be happy with a compromise that Amex Plat holders only receive access to SkyClubs on domestic flights when in F. Would probably make a big difference for crowding.
jamesteroh, lsquare and volabam like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 5:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
These changes are motivated by Delta - not Amex. Absolutely no changes are being made by Amex and I would not make any assumptions about Amex and Delta changing their relationship at all.

Delta has invested and continues to invest a lot of money into their lounges and absolutely needs the revenue that Amex provides. This is part of the reason why Delta prices their club memberships at significantly higher prices than the Annual Fees on the Reserve/Platinum cards. They want that revenue from Amex and are going to do nothing to lower it. How Delta is going to respond to overcrowding in their clubs is quite obvious and they have broadcasted it for all to see. They're going to be adding more clubs (MSP and SEA come to mind), bigger clubs (LAX and BOS come to mind) and Delta One exclusive clubs, which serve as a way for them have Delta One compete with Polaris/Flagship lounges.
VFR and Barkley333 like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
DL says that its D1 passengers are most loyal. Are you suggesting that DL says things that it does not think are true?

Internationally, there generally isn't lounge access upon arrival unless there's a separate arrivals lounge (the one at CDG still seems to be closed and LHR had something preCOVID-19 too, but IIRC these were restricted to those with a TATL business class ticket). International airlines are generally emphatic that their lounges are departures (and connections) lounges, but this tends not to matter since arriving passengers are segregated from departing passengers and therefore cannot get to the door of these departures lounges. At least one alliance (not SkyTeam) bases lounge access on the cabin class of the segment departing from that airport for nonelites, so that a nonelite passtnger ticketed in domestic FC connecting to TATL/TPAC in business class or IFC would be eligible to use the lounge *only* at the connecting airport, immediately before the TATL/TPAC segment (and not at the departure airport before the domestic FC segment).
Which one?
Old May 5, 2022, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People pig out in the lounge because they won't get a meal on their flights. DL's action and customers' reactions.

I'm also OK with a three hour rule, but I think the way to solve the problem is to end free and reduced rate guests. If DL wants to allow people to pay for guests, make sure the price is high enough: $39 for someone with a DL Plat AmEx card is 50-100% lower than the price should be, given that someone paying to enter will be sure to pig out on the food and have several drinks. Paying to enter a SkyClub costs significantly less that what the person would spend for equivalent F&B in an airport restaurant. Make almost everyone pay for all guests (with numerical limits for lifetime members who currently have guest privileges, with NO EXCEPTIONS FOR FAMILIES) and make sure that the price is high enough.

A lot of people abuse the family privileges by claiming that their kids' friends who are traveling too are their stepchildren, etc......and those who travel with large "family" groups are the ones who pay for permanent guest access privileges. It's simply self selection, and it causes more crowding than looking at average family or traveling party size would suggest. [I also think pets should be charged as guests, obviously with an exemption for genuine service animals but not emotional support anything. Pets take space and they eat when their owners get food from the buffet for them. However, this is a different discussion.]
I totally agree with you here. Maybe it's controversial for me to say this, but we need to stop placing pets on the same level as humans. For genuine service animals, I can agree, but the pro-pet movement has gone too far! I'm sick of it!
USCTrojan83 likes this.
Old May 5, 2022, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Yeah this is the real fix. The UA and AA clubs are nowhere as overrun as the SkyClubs (despite having much more generous guest policies), and the common denominator is no third-party credit card access.
The common denominator is that those two airlines' clubs are mediocre at best.
ijgordon, Statman, lsquare and 4 others like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by stimpy
I'm Centurion and it never even crossed my mind to go to the Sky Club upon arrival. I can't imagine too many other members do.

Also I will give DL some credit in that they pay attention and actually know how many people are trying to use the club upon arrival. Or arriving 3+ hours before their flight.
The number of people here complaining about the centurion exclusion is humorous. The number of centurion cardholders that not only fly commercial but also would go to a lounge on arrival is probably less than 100 occurrences for the year. And Delta gets credit in their negotiations for including that exclusion, an exclusion that is worth a LOT more to AMEX than it costs Delta.

And for Delta, do you really think they want to do anything to risk having even a single centurion cardholder choose another airline over them because of that one decision? Centurion cardholders are valuable to airlines because they're either influencers (not the way it's used today), or spend a lot of money each year (read, not *make* a lot of money, *spend* a lot of money - that's why it's a different card from any other card).

I think people generally don't realize the extent of the relationship between Amex and Delta, especially because they don't see all the B2B stuff with all other parts of the Amex group.
dw, Statman, lsquare and 4 others like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by lsquare
I totally agree with you here. Maybe it's controversial for me to say this, but we need to stop placing pets on the same level as humans. For genuine service animals, I can agree, but the pro-pet movement has gone too far! I'm sick of it!
I have taken cats into the skyclub before with no issues. I just keep the in the carrier and unlike an infant, I am charged an absurd fee to fly with a pet but pay it and don't play the companion animal game.
If the skyclub decides to start charging for pets to come in then they better start charging for kids 2 and under.
Old May 5, 2022, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
Members of the military are not charged annual fees for credit card, by federal statute.

I access the SkyClubs through my Amex Plat and that’s the main reason I fly Delta when i do. I’m mainly flying out of NY and DC and have no need to fly one particular carrier. I just buy F and take the flight I like best. I would be happy with a compromise that Amex Plat holders only receive access to SkyClubs on domestic flights when in F. Would probably make a big difference for crowding.
If you are active military you can also access the AA clubs for free
lsquare likes this.
Old May 5, 2022, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by msp727
If they are making changes that impact the Delta Amex Reserve customers they must provide 45 days notice to comply with card laws, unless they observe this to be insignificant. I think this is a major change.

Additionally, making changes of this nature on a card with an annual fee of $550, is likely to be viewed as unfair and deceptive. Especially given the fact Delta just received a bundle of Federal Aid.

if you are upset file a complaint with the CFPB
Are you referring to the rule for a "significant change in account terms" under the CARD Act (included in Reg Z)? IANYL, but I'd hire you to be my lawyer for pretty much anything if you figure out how to successfully assert this change falls within the defined "significant change in account terms."
Old May 5, 2022, 9:08 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
First off for years my tradition on landing at HNL has been to have one of the best Mai Tai's in Hawaii...at the Sky Club. Hope they still allow us lifetime members the privilege.

Re restrictions: think it makes sense for DL (+ Amex) to differentiate the product. Feel that it would make more sense to restrict arrival access to non-Exec members.

For those who want Amex to offer a $500/year lounge credit: I'd return my Plat. I rarely get the full $30 of value from Priority Pass lounges, and would not want Centurion to charge less. I also find a real value in not having to think about whether this lounge visit is in my budget. I just want to deal with whomever the gatekeeper is at front and have a tea in a quiet environment most of the time TBH.
Statman, lsquare, volabam and 1 others like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I have taken cats into the skyclub before with no issues. I just keep the in the carrier and unlike an infant, I am charged an absurd fee to fly with a pet but pay it and don't play the companion animal game.
If the skyclub decides to start charging for pets to come in then they better start charging for kids 2 and under.
I don't know what's worse, pets or babies. I just got home and haven't had the time to post this in the UA forum. I happened to have had the privilege of sitting close to crying babies on both UA 1 and UA 2.
Old May 5, 2022, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
First off for years my tradition on landing at HNL has been to have one of the best Mai Tai's in Hawaii...at the Sky Club. Hope they still allow us lifetime members the privilege.

Re restrictions: think it makes sense for DL (+ Amex) to differentiate the product. Feel that it would make more sense to restrict arrival access to non-Exec members.

For those who want Amex to offer a $500/year lounge credit: I'd return my Plat. I rarely get the full $30 of value from Priority Pass lounges, and would not want Centurion to charge less. I also find a real value in not having to think about whether this lounge visit is in my budget. I just want to deal with whomever the gatekeeper is at front and have a tea in a quiet environment most of the time TBH.
For lifetime members, it's not a privilege; you paid for that.
Old May 5, 2022, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
This change personally doesn't affect me but I know a number of people who use the club upon arrival so I can understand their grievance. Delta should have given more notice or made exceptions for those who have recently renewed their membership.
jamesteroh likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.