Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Access questions (June 2022 onward)

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2022, 5:52 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LikeaGVI
Nobody forced you to do anything. You chose to take a 4:30pm flight on DL. MIA & FLL have a combined ~40 flights a day to NYC between AA, DL, UA, B6, etc. You had many other options if an early afternoon flight is that important to you.

Please spare us the melodrama.
So sorry that my loyalty to Delta upsets you. I also paid for my Delta Reserve Card which, last I looked, doesn't give me access to AA or UA lounges.

Please spare me the judgmental response.
audio-nut, msp727, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 6:06 pm

I use the SC frequently on arrival to grab a light meal. It saves time and stress. It is a huge benefit to me that I am willing paying more to fly Delta. If this change indeed stays, Delta will lose majority of my business.
Old May 4, 2022, 6:12 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by pfreet
I rarely stop upon arrival, I don't think this will affect me. However, I would have preferred they make an exception for a domestic overnight flight. Often there is no food served on those red-eyes. Nice to freshen up with coffee and a snack before leaving the airport.
and at some airports, a shower.
Old May 4, 2022, 6:14 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
I’m typing this from the new LAX Sky Club, which I got to 4 hours before my 8pm flight departure. I finished meetings at 1, went to get a late lunch, walked on the beach for a while, and still got to the airport by 4.

Given the lines in DTW and LGA, I think it makes sense to do something. This change allows them to accommodate more entrances and thus serve a greater proportion of customers (and collect more revenue from the per-access customers).

I used the AA Flagship Lounge on arrival for this trip, since I had to wait for a coworker. I ended up spending about an hour and a half there. It’s rare but useful for me. The Sky Club dinner spread is more impressive than the Flagship Lounge breakfast spread.

Im honestly a bit surprised that they carved out 360 and Centurion. It makes sense not to alienate your best customers, and perhaps Amex pays slightly more for black card members. This might hint at the D1 Lounge access policy.

With regard to membership vs reserve card vs Amex Platinum, historically Delta has treated them all the same for access (with slight differences involving partner flights). I would bet that DL on average makes more money off of a Reserve cardholder than a Sky Club member. Everyone on FT always wants the access methods they do not use to be limited.

Perhaps this will make Sky Team / Virgin lounges slightly more busy at airports that have them as well as a Sky Club.
SCChris likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 6:19 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K
Just play their game with them and book a fully refundable flight, access the club, and cancel it.
Old May 4, 2022, 6:28 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by flyerCO
It was forecast to takes years, nowhere near this quick to return to these levels. Everyone (airlines, banks, etc) thought this. Were they supposed to build clubs (with no incoming revenue) for passenger numbers that might appear in 5 years?
The most pessimistic of forecasts (Austrian) predicted 2023 to return to normalcy, some were predicting last year. Either way, they all got a boatload of cheap cash from the Government so they can't cry poor me now.

lsquare and KDCAflyer like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
This is great. I like the change. Might bring some extra business to Delta from my end.
They had to do something, like Amex with Centurion lounge access (can't wait till that changes and guest access finally goes away). Will be a much better experience for everyone else
Statman and lsquare like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mnflyer27
Just play their game with them and book a fully refundable flight, access the club, and cancel it.
Really easy with mileage tickets being fully refundable now.
Old May 4, 2022, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by UAL4life
As someone who gets access with AMEX I would rather they had gotten rid of AMEX access. Or at least give these restrictions to AMEX. and have arrival access for club members/ DMs
I totally agree with you, but I suspect the revenue from the AMEX partnership is too great for DL. I do agree with you that I think DL elites like Diamonds should be exempt from these changes.
Old May 4, 2022, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
[QUOTE=yogimax;34221265]
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
Not sure what flight availability has to do with going to the airport more than three hours in advance of boarding.[/QUOTE

You have to leave the cruise ship by a certain time. You can't hang out at the port. Only reasonable place to go is the airport.

By the way, the Sky Club was not over crowded, everyone had a seat, they didn't run out of food or drinks.
I'm not sure, the one time I went to the new club at FLL was at 11AM on a Sunday in early March and I had to wait in line to get in due to it being at capacity.
Old May 4, 2022, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by latexlegend
For arrival access, one trick mentioned on the OMAAT comments for the article referring to this news is to book an onward ticket so you can access the SkyClub as a connecting rather than arriving passenger before cancelling within the 24-hour window. That seems awfully risky for little marginal benefit, especially if DL catches wind of it.

I understand why DL is making this change but agree it'll have little impact. I only very sparingly use arrival access for the reasons already mentioned, especially for showers after red-eyes, some quick work, or to meet someone arriving later. I have friends who use it much more. Anecdotally though, outside of large SCs such as JFK, I've noticed the SC agents react with annoyance more often these days when I access on arrival. But I'll miss saying a quick hello to my favorite SC bartenders and staff on arrival for sure.
IMO there's no if Delta catches wind of it. There are enough people openly talking about it they'll be actively monitoring for it. Do it a couple of times and they will probably overlook. Arrive at BOS every week with an "onward" ticket that gets cancelled right after being scanned to enter the SC? Hammer drops and SM account gets banned.
Old May 4, 2022, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer View Post
Not sure what flight availability has to do with going to the airport more than three hours in advance of boarding.

YogiMax wrote:

You have to leave the cruise ship by a certain time. You can't hang out at the port. Only reasonable place to go is the airport.

By the way, the Sky Club was not over crowded, everyone had a seat, they didn't run out of food or drinks.

coke cans and winglets wrote:

I'm not sure, the one time I went to the new club at FLL was at 11AM on a Sunday in early March and I had to wait in line to get in due to it being at capacity.

That quote you replied to was from yogimax, not me... I reconstructed as best I could...
Old May 4, 2022, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer View Post
Not sure what flight availability has to do with going to the airport more than three hours in advance of boarding.

YogiMax wrote:

coke cans and winglets wrote:

That quote you replied to was from yogimax, not me... I reconstructed as best I could...
Yeah I see who made that now, I was a little thrown off because what I was trying to quote got a little janky, oh well
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets

Probably at least partly from all the cruise ship folks with nothing to do but wait on their flights out of town...
Old May 4, 2022, 7:06 pm

I did make a comment earlier about arrival pax and pax showing up 3+ hours out with no connection and while virtually no one is complaining about not being able to get in 3+ hours out, there are more arrival pax than I thought. With that said though, I do think most of the arrival pax, like the ones in this thread, aren't staying for more than 15-30 minutes max. I really appreciate the initiative from Delta here as they are acknowledging overcrowding is an issue but there is still a lot of room for improvement. None of this affects me as stated previously but it shows that maybe Delta doesn't need to be beating around the bush like this and working at small things instead of the big picture. Cutting back on guest access for example would have a greater impact than this. I can appreciate that Delta is at least acknowledging the problem though instead of acting like everything's fine.
Synapseturquoise likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.