Wiki Posts
Search

I'd forgotten the joys of travel...

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2022, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I'd forgotten the joys of travel...

So I just bought my first ticket on Delta since Jan 2020 -- Premium Select from LAX to AMS. The outbound was just over 3 weeks out, the return 5 weeks or so.

So of course I am in middle seats on the domestic legs (LAX-SLC, MSP-LAX). It is a C+ middle seat, but still a middle

When I booked there was a Main Cabin aisle but it wouldn't let me choose it (saying it had to me C+) But by the time the transaction was complete it was gone.

Both flights show no available seats (except FC) -- but half of them don't say "occupied" but "unavailable." In the Before Times you saw that sometimes on bulkhead seats but I don't remember ever seeing half the flight that way. Is this something new and are those seats really taken or are they just being held back for some reason and might open up later. I'd rather an aisle MC than a middle C+ so I've been checking daily.

I guess this post is really for me to complain -- I've gotten out of practice doing that
Old May 3, 2022, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some of them are being saved as crew (pilot) rest seats. It wouldn't surprise me if DL is saving additional crew rest seats in case they're needed for deadheading crew reporting for a flight they must work. [Deadheading for duty but not deadheading after duty can require premium cabin seating. All deadheaders are "must fly" but I think they're allowed to volunteer to give up their seats and take a jump seat in some circumstances.]
Old May 3, 2022, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

It's not just the C+ seats that are "unavailable" but a good chunk of Main Cabin as well. That is a lot of crew
strickerj and ExArkie like this.
Old May 3, 2022, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL DM
Sometimes, (closer to departure), they know of seats that are broken and they can’t assign them as they are not able to determine if they will be repaired by then. I ran into that for a flight to LHR on May 8, lots of seats are “blocked” but not occupied. I am guessing they would rather not assign the seats in advance as opposed to assigning the seat and making someone angry. I was also told that there are two different seat maps. The normal one that most agents and members see online and a second one that shows more specifically each seat's hidden status (like a broken seat or seat for a SM).
Goodoldflyer likes this.

Last edited by Mr. Tickets; May 4, 2022 at 1:13 pm
Old May 3, 2022, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
It's not just the C+ seats that are "unavailable" but a good chunk of Main Cabin as well. That is a lot of crew
What type of aircraft? I wonder if they are planning on swapping in the retrofit A330-300 but aren't 100% certain it will be ready? Seems like they'd need to block off some C+ and main cabin if that is what they are doing.
Old May 3, 2022, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Is it possible the economy aisle is actually available if you do a test booking while not logged in, and it's just being blocked when you look at the seat map from your booking because you're in a higher class of service?

If so, you might be able to get the seat assigned by calling in to customer service...
TheMadBrewer likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BenA
Is it possible the economy aisle is actually available if you do a test booking while not logged in, and it's just being blocked when you look at the seat map from your booking because you're in a higher class of service?

If so, you might be able to get the seat assigned by calling in to customer service...
Bingo, we have a winner!

When I use another browser, not logged in, all those 20+ unavailable seats show as available.

Luckily, a C+ seat in the last row of C+ opened up, so I am no longer in a middle. It is the one on a A321 with no seat in front, which is nice for leg room but no floor/seat back storage.

And on my other domestic flight, a C+ window opened up in the first row of C+ on B739, so it will be a cramped four hours (I have a tall body so curve of the fuselage can be an issue with some window seats) and it is behind the closet. I'll have to think about if a regular MainCabin aisle is better.
Old May 6, 2022, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
I remember not loving 14D on the A321, as there is an FA seat in front that goes all the way to the floor, felt like there was less room to stretch your feet forward. I would certainly take it over a middle, though.

As a taller person I'm not sure you'll like the foot room behind the 739 closet, plus the IFE stored in the armrest making the seat a little narrower.

Last edited by bloc0102; May 7, 2022 at 10:36 am
Old May 6, 2022, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bloc0102
I remember not loving 14A on the A321, as there is an FA seat in front that goes all the way to the floor, felt like there was less room to stretch your feet forward. I would certainly take it over a middle, though.

As a taller person I'm not sure you'll like the foot room behind the 739 closet, plus the IFE stored in the armrest making the seat a little narrower.
My height is all in the body, legs are normal (even on the short side) so I'm more worried about the curvature than the leg room. And the slightly narrower seat. Fingers crossed as its 5 weeks out. Somebody once told me there is this thing called an "upgrade" where you get to sit in the big seats up front (I think I had exactly one Medallion Upgrade the last two years I was DM -- my domestic flights were either legs of an international trip or two/from ATL -- so I am not expecting lightning to strike...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.