Wiki Posts
Search

Something Doesn’t Seem Right…

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2022, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM
Something Doesn’t Seem Right…

Trying to book an LAS-BMI one way trip next month and I'm getting about 1/4 of the options I usually get (all 2 stop flights) with prices about 3-4 times higher. Is this a combination of a pilot shortage/fuel prices/pent up demand? Or is there something going on with the Delta server today? Thoughts?

OPS
Skicruiser58 and Minnyappleus like this.
Old May 3, 2022, 11:12 am

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
It's most likely something to do with fare inventory. I was looking at MIA-SBN on Delta back in March and it wanted to send me MIA-ATL-MSP-SBN instead of just MIA-ATL-SBN and it was saying only First was available for $1800 one way. Ended up flying out of FLL for way less. Have also had stuff show up using miles instead of cash too which is probably a similar deal. Booked a BOS-ATL-JAX I might have to take with miles as the paid options had me sitting in ATL for 3 hours and getting to JAX at 1AM for the BOS-ATL I wanted while an option landing an hour and some change earlier into JAX was available using miles so I did that. Might be worth seeing if anything new comes up with miles just to see.
Old May 3, 2022, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mattya9
Trying to book an LAS-BMI one way trip next month and I'm getting about 1/4 of the options I usually get (all 2 stop flights) with prices about 3-4 times higher. Is this a combination of a pilot shortage/fuel prices/pent up demand? Or is there something going on with the Delta server today? Thoughts?

OPS
There might be a special event at LAS or BMI. Many college graduations are in June, so watch for that as well as major conventions, music, and sporting events.
Old May 3, 2022, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not really just one thing. Pent-up demand + typical summer seasonal demand + capacity reductions. ATL-BMI went from 3xCR9 pre-COVID to 1xCR9+1xCR7 post-Covid. With only 2x flights per day, this greatly limits connecting options and there's a greater chance of married segment availability limiting booking options to higher fare classes. There's a decent chance there will be some cheaper options if you book LAS-ATL and ATL-BMI flights on separate fares than the price on a single fare (it will also open more connecting options as you will not be subject to 4 hour connection limit when booked on a single fare).
Old May 3, 2022, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
It's most likely something to do with fare inventory. I was looking at MIA-SBN on Delta back in March and it wanted to send me MIA-ATL-MSP-SBN instead of just MIA-ATL-SBN and it was saying only First was available for $1800 one way.
Part of it is that Delta's RM algorithm doesn't believe in selling connecting flights (typical married segments are very suppressed compared to each segment alone).
Old May 3, 2022, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by melissaaldric
Not really just one thing. Pent-up demand + typical summer seasonal demand + capacity reductions. ATL-BMI went from 3xCR9 pre-COVID to 1xCR9+1xCR7 post-Covid. With only 2x flights per day, this greatly limits connecting options and you there's a greater chance of married segment availability limiting booking options to higher fare classes. There's a decent chance there will be some cheaper options if you book LAS-ATL and ATL-BMI flights on separate fares than the price on a single fare (it will also open more connecting options as you will not be subject to 4 hour connection limit when booked on a single fare).

I tried booking just LAS-ATL and it was still only showing around 5 one-way flights and all main cabin and C+ were sold out. No connecting flights. Very strange as I've never seen this.

Originally Posted by findark
Part of it is that Delta's RM algorithm doesn't believe in selling connecting flights (typical married segments are very suppressed compared to each segment alone).

I've never had an issue booking connecting flights on Delta ever. It doesn't make sense if the algorithm doesn't believe in selling connecting flights when t's only offering me flights with 2 connections.

OPS
Skicruiser58 likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
From MSP, many routes require nonstop flights. DL will show expensive connections, but they tend to be broken fares.
Old May 3, 2022, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At this point, don't really see anything less than K bucket availability on June LAS-ATL flights (and pretty much only on Tue/Wed redeye's for K). It's summer demand + booking relatively close in. There's X bucket availability (with BE and main cabin fares) available for mid-July and beyond flights. The $199 - $229 fares below are all X basis fares.

Old May 3, 2022, 12:11 pm

DL's algorithms seem a bit out of whack lately due to constant schedule changes. The last month or so the pattern has been very similar: Friday night DL makes schedule changes. Saturday, some flights have abnormally high inventory available and you can snag some really good fares. As they swap pax between flights that have been cx'd, inventory disappears and by Sunday everything is a B or Y fare. Tuesday through Thursday things settle out and "normal" fares appear, but some flights that are either at risk or may need to take pax from a flight that is at risk may only be selling at a B or Y fare even if the flight is empty.
Old May 3, 2022, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by The Situation
DL's algorithms seem a bit out of whack lately due to constant schedule changes. The last month or so the pattern has been very similar: Friday night DL makes schedule changes. Saturday, some flights have abnormally high inventory available and you can snag some really good fares. As they swap pax between flights that have been cx'd, inventory disappears and by Sunday everything is a B or Y fare. Tuesday through Thursday things settle out and "normal" fares appear, but some flights that are either at risk or may need to take pax from a flight that is at risk may only be selling at a B or Y fare even if the flight is empty.
I've noticed this also. Typically in past booking on Saturday/ Sunday resulted in awful options/ fares. Now I regularly look on Saturday/ Sunday . I've rebooked a number of paid J trips overseas (DL marketed) and saved couple thousand doing this. Just rebooked my upcoming NBO trip for 3rd Sat in a row. Went from having to fly KQ NBO-CDG (DL marketed) to getting AF NBO-CDG then DL CDG-SLC-LAX to now KL NBO-AMS-LAX (again DL marketed) When look during the week those options always are nearly FULL J type pricing. This has held true not just for this one trip, but I have four trips currently booked that I've done this on.
Old May 3, 2022, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by findark
There is the most ridiculous thing said on FT today.
mattya9 and Adam1222 like this.
Old May 3, 2022, 5:37 pm

I was signed up for a conference in June in Vegas. Having a terrible time getting tickets. Wanted to use a fc companion cert and no go. Ticket just me was looking at 1600 and red eyes both ways. Just canceled the conference. Try it next year. Previous two years got canceled. Mco<>las. Two heavy tourist cities probably didn’t help.
Old May 4, 2022, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by Jon_R
I was signed up for a conference in June in Vegas. Having a terrible time getting tickets. Wanted to use a fc companion cert and no go. Ticket just me was looking at 1600 and red eyes both ways. Just canceled the conference. Try it next year. Previous two years got canceled. Mco<>las. Two heavy tourist cities probably didn’t help.
Did you check fares from nearby airports in Florida?
Old May 4, 2022, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Just called the Diamond desk and they confirmed what I’m currently seeing on Delta.com; down to only 1 option to BMI on Wednesday June 8 for $1100 (Main Y) with 2 stops.

I know things are slowly getting back to normal due to Covid, and fuel prices are up, but even last year flights were not this bad. I have no idea what’s going on but it’s extremely frustrating to see only 5 options available and all with 2 stops.

Old May 4, 2022, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This pretty much says everything. June 8th is a particularly bad day for availability on LAS-ATL flights. Once you exhaust non-stop LAS-ATL options and have to start using double-connects to get to BMI (as the only flights are through ATL), it's not surprising there is only Y inventory open. High demand (possibly due to some event) and booking too close in.

Once in awhile, you need to consider other options than DL.

Last edited by xliioper; May 4, 2022 at 10:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.