Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Rex Australia and Delta Air Lines Announce Partnership

Old May 1, 22, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Delta have found a replacement for VA
Link-->REX 2022 media
Rex and Delta Air Lines Announce Partnership
Monday, May 2, 2022
Rex today announced it had signed a Letter of Intent (LOI) with Delta Air Lines, the leading global airline. The LOI confirmed the parties’ intention to enter into a ‘definitive commercial agreement’. The final agreement will see Rex and Delta providing reciprocal interline ticketing and baggage services to each other commencing during the third quarter in 2022.
REX is small airline. Used to operate in regional AU, but has started some SYD-BNE-MEL routes with ex VA B737
-->https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rex_Airlines

Edit
Used to be part of this thread DL partnerships in trouble? Virgin Australia goes under (voluntary administration)

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 6, 22 at 5:15 pm
Old May 1, 22, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Delta have found a replacement for VA
Link-->REX 2022 media

REX is small airline. Used to operate in regional AU, but has started some SYD-BNE-MEL routes with ex VA B737
-->https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rex_Airlines
Is it a LCC?
Old May 1, 22, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Is it a LCC?
No. More of a "full service". Do have some lounges. But are small and main business is regional. Read reports they struggle on the golden triangle [SYD BNE MEL] against VA & QF with the 6 off B737.
https://www.rex.com.au/
https://www.rex.com.au/FlightInfo/Network.aspx

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 1, 22 at 4:18 pm
Old May 1, 22, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Aeroplan Elite 75K
I was shocked to read this airline I'd never heard of has 66 aircraft. Then I saw 60 of them are Saabs
N830MH and defrosted like this.
Old May 2, 22, 3:57 am

Programs: DL Diam 2MM (2.3), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
At least there is a partner of some kind. But very limited.
Only destination in TAS is Burnie, 20,000 people (Hobart is only 60,000) and you can't cross the continent to Perth.
But, Priority Pass works in the Rex lounges! (SYD, MEL, ADL, and CBR.
I'm also watching for other ways to get to Oz. I've flown on VA which is gone now, but also via SGN on VN and TPE on CI. I'm planning a trip for next spring that would probably be through Europe at least 1 way. Both AF and KL routings involve travel via SIN and the SIN-Oz legs are on non-ST airlines. VN is flying LHR-Oz via SGN/HAN now. But TPE still seems to be closed for transit - at least according to the CI www site.
Old May 4, 22, 11:52 am

New Delta Partnership Coming

Surprised this hasn't gotten more press or attention...or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place. I've not posted enough to post links (womp), but long story short, Delta and REX have started the process to launch an interline agreement with an eye towards a more fully integrated partnership (likely codesharing). I had been wondering what Delta's options were since they lost Virgin Australia to United, leaving a gaping and hard-to-fill hole in their global network. Anyway, a simple Google search of "Delta Rex partnership" should pull up the story in any number of online sources. I first saw the news reported on Simply Flying.
Old May 4, 22, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Existing thread -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...rtnership.html
Old May 4, 22, 6:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by DLASflyer View Post
I was shocked to read this airline I'd never heard of has 66 aircraft. Then I saw 60 of them are Saabs
They're not as bad as the seem, at least for many of the regional hops they run on. I flew one with REX from OAG (Orange,NSW) back to SYD. Interiors were a bit worn but they got a quick service in for what was supposed to be a very short flight until ATC had other plans for us. Still a downgrade compared to VA and I will definitely miss the VA lounges.
Old May 6, 22, 4:44 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + UA Plat + AS MVP 75k Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Is it a LCC?
While a regional airline, REX is one of the last vestiges of Ansett Australia which was a full member of Star Alliance, and even had its own FlyerTalk forum!
obscure2k and fsuj25 like this.
Old Jun 13, 22, 10:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Good lord! Quick search of Rex flight review and saw a view of an emergency where one of the Saab's propeller fell off mid-air. This is just great! Delta's partnership pickin' is slim...
Old Jun 16, 22, 5:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does anyone know what the partnership will entail (award tickets? bag interlining? etc.) and exactly when it will start (more specific than third quarter 2022, which I do not interpret to mean July 1st necessarily)?
Old Jun 16, 22, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Does anyone know what the partnership will entail (award tickets? bag interlining? etc.) and exactly when it will start (more specific than third quarter 2022, which I do not interpret to mean July 1st necessarily)?
Would not be expecting much. Q3 is from 01 July to 31 Sept
The small REX network is shrinking-->FT-->REX to fly Australian golden triangle
https://www.rex.com.au/FlightInfo/Network.aspx Most of those routes are on Saabs. They only have 6 off B737
Old Jun 16, 22, 1:46 pm

Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum
https://www.rex.com.au/FlightInfo/Network.aspx Most of those routes are on Saabs. They only have 6 off B737
the red rat did it’s usual capacity dump on syd-cbr and not that much of a loss unless you’re a politician.

The rest are the equivalent of EAS routes that we’re losing their EAS status so not surprising to see them dropped from the network.

I don’t imagine we’ll see much between Rex/DL in advance of the formal end of the VA interline agreement next week
Old Jun 19, 22, 1:05 am

+4 on order. Delta doesn't need REX to be something huge. IMO if you asked Delta, they'd love to see SYD-BNE/MEL/PER/AKL and maybe one or two other destinations that connect well to its LAX-SYD flights.

I personal am hoping that losing Virgin will kick Delta's ... into gear and get them to actually grow in the region to fend off losing corporate contracts on the US side. They have added addition frequency on LAX-SYD but I'd really like to see LAX-MEL/AKL in addition to that over time.
Originally Posted by kiwicanuck View Post
the red rat did it’s usual capacity dump on syd-cbr and not that much of a loss unless you’re a politician.

The rest are the equivalent of EAS routes that we’re losing their EAS status so not surprising to see them dropped from the network.

I don’t imagine we’ll see much between Rex/DL in advance of the formal end of the VA interline agreement next week
the Virgin/Delta interline (not codeshare) is ending?
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 8:25 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291 View Post
I personal am hoping that losing Virgin will kick Delta's ... into gear and get them to actually grow in the region to fend off losing corporate contracts on the US side. They have added addition frequency on LAX-SYD but I'd really like to see LAX-MEL/AKL in addition to that over time.
I hope so too, but UA added BNE service and now even AA has service to AKL so DL is the smallest by far of the big three to Oceania with it's own metal. And it has the worst partners too. It was a much better balance when DL/VA were going up against UA/NZ. Now DL is really the odd one out.

I'd love to see ATL-AKL service, continuing AKL-BNE. That would give them much more coverage and a route & connection to Australia that would be very appealing compared to LAX.

Search this Thread