Wiki Posts
Search

Negotiating Annual Fee on DL AMEX

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2022, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Negotiating Annual Fee on DL AMEX

Curious is anyone has attempted / been successful at negotiating the annual fee on their DL AMEX Reserve. I am at the point where I am questioning the value and considering a downgrade based on:

1. Increase in DM MQM waiver to $200K annual spend when EVERY dollar I spend on AA credit cards counts toward my status.

2. The main benefit I enjoy is the SkyClub access. With queues at most SCs during peak travel times and the quality of the SC experience diminished I'm not sure I'm getting a premium experience, or any value...especially when I can't even access the SC.

3. Benefit of "Upgrade Priority for Medallion Members" seems worthless in the era of fewer and fewer UGs. I usually either buy a seat in F if I do not think I can score an UG based on route and availability.

4. Fares when using a companion certificate are often HIGHER than when you are booking without one.

5. "20% Back On In-Flight Purchases" saves, at most, $2 per drink and I'm rarely in the back anyway and, when I am, I don't tend to drink because there isn't room for my laptop and a drink on the tray tables.

6. Interest rates higher than other cards that offer equivalent or better benefits overall.

I know...first world problems, but I'm not sure I'm getting a good return on my investment.
volabam and Synapseturquoise like this.
Old May 2, 2022, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Curious is anyone has attempted / been successful at negotiating the annual fee on their DL AMEX Reserve. I am at the point where I am questioning the value and considering a downgrade based on:

1. Increase in DM MQM waiver to $200K annual spend when EVERY dollar I spend on AA credit cards counts toward my status.

2. The main benefit I enjoy is the SkyClub access. With queues at most SCs during peak travel times and the quality of the SC experience diminished I'm not sure I'm getting a premium experience, or any value...especially when I can't even access the SC.

3. Benefit of "Upgrade Priority for Medallion Members" seems worthless in the era of fewer and fewer UGs. I usually either buy a seat in F if I do not think I can score an UG based on route and availability.

4. Fares when using a companion certificate are often HIGHER than when you are booking without one.

5. "20% Back On In-Flight Purchases" saves, at most, $2 per drink and I'm rarely in the back anyway and, when I am, I don't tend to drink because there isn't room for my laptop and a drink on the tray tables.

6. Interest rates higher than other cards that offer equivalent or better benefits overall.

I know...first world problems, but I'm not sure I'm getting a good return on my investment.
A few years ago they waived my entire Reserve fee. A big plus now is MQMs are useless (everyone has tons) and SC are all packed solid.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 7:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM
You can ask for a retention offer.
Old May 2, 2022, 8:10 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
For further info, here is the current master thread on retention offers in the FT AMEX forum: American Express retention offers (2022)
DiverDave likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 8:33 pm

I have had mine waived in the past. I tried again last year and they said no so I cancelled the card. Value is not there for me anymore.
Regarding:
#1 - isn’t it $250k?
#’s 2-5 agree.
#6 - no points are worth the interest charge that comes with a carrying balance so this should be moot.
Old May 2, 2022, 8:55 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by El Boocho
I have had mine waived in the past. I tried again last year and they said no so I cancelled the card.
The general rule of thumb for AMEX is 13 months between retention offers (so no-go on consecutive years)
Old May 3, 2022, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
The general rule of thumb for AMEX is 13 months between retention offers (so no-go on consecutive years)
Is that across all cards or per card?
Old May 3, 2022, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by volabam
Is that across all cards or per card?
​​​​​​13 months between retention offers on the same card.
volabam likes this.
Old May 3, 2022, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
​​​​​​13 months between retention offers on the same card.
Thank you - going to the well on the Plat and was hoping I'd be able to try on the DL card also. Appreciate the confirmation!
Old May 3, 2022, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Note (if actually booking and not trying to bash money out of Amex) that this is a website bug and should never be true in practice.
Old May 3, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by findark
Note (if actually booking and not trying to bash money out of Amex) that this is a website bug and should never be true in practice.
I have seen it also, and actually both ways. I had a DL agent quote me a fare $100 greater than what I was finding online (I called to try and get preferred seats for all 4 of us). My wife and I have identical current trips using companion fares (with our 2 kids). Fare went lower, she is seeing same fare class as me but her fare is $25 higher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.