Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL.com says upgrade space available, agent says no?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL.com says upgrade space available, agent says no?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2022, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Minnyappleus
How do Mileage Upgrades like this work? What base fare class is needed for a 65,000 mile D1 upgrade? And how to you ask an agent to confirm this?
Easiest is to call in to have the agent handle your entire booking. Depending on availability there may be 1 or 2 different eligible fare classes. For example my 2 choices were (roughly, by memory): 1) $3,300 ticket + 35,000 miles , 2) $1,800 ticket + 65,000 miles.

Before I called in I used DL.com to find routes with advertised GUC space.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

"Fun" recap of the outgoing journey from this booking...

- Itinerary had 2 identical routes SEA-MSP , I believe this is normal for upgrades
- Check-in prior resulted in error, "We're sorry. We can't validate your ticket. Please contact your local reservation office for assistance"
- SMS Agent tries a few things ("try again"). Nothing changes; says to go to airport.
- Check-in agent argues with PAX about covid paperwork (would not accept 2 doses + official covid recovery 60 days ago). Redcoat needs to be called in to allow check-in.
- Okay, now successfully checked in. Is PAX anywhere to be found on upgrade list? Of course not. Remember, Delta promised upgrade LOL.
- New SMS Agent. Agent escalates. Escalation agent finds some official notice that upgrades need to be requested 3hrs prior. Itinerary has noted "Upgrade waitlisted" for weeks.

For a last bit of even more fun. MSP-AMS cancelled last minute. Rebooked on a flight 20 hours later. Finally in the air now.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 6:44 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pulpfiction78

- Itinerary had 2 identical routes SEA-MSP , I believe this is normal for upgrades
- Check-in prior resulted in error, "We're sorry. We can't validate your ticket. Please contact your local reservation office for assistance"
- SMS Agent tries a few things ("try again"). Nothing changes; says to go to airport.
- Check-in agent argues with PAX about covid paperwork (would not accept 2 doses + official covid recovery 60 days ago). Redcoat needs to be called in to allow check-in.
- Okay, now successfully checked in. Is PAX anywhere to be found on upgrade list? Of course not. Remember, Delta promised upgrade LOL.
- New SMS Agent. Agent escalates. Escalation agent finds some official notice that upgrades need to be requested 3hrs prior. Itinerary has noted "Upgrade waitlisted" for weeks.

For a last bit of even more fun. MSP-AMS cancelled last minute. Rebooked on a flight 20 hours later. Finally in the air now.
Up front, where you belong?
Old Jun 10, 2022, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AKC6
What's that supposed to mean?
Old Jun 10, 2022, 3:48 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
They're asking if you sat in F/J.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 7:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

For the official COVID-19 recovery, did you have both the recovery letter and evidence of a dated positive COVID-19 test (antigen or PCR, whatever the Netherlands requires)?

Sorry that you were stuck in MSP overnight. I hope you found a good airport hotel.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
No. Wife didn't show up on the upgrade list and neither gate agents nor Delta support wanted to help.

Lesson learned. If a booking agent messes up just cancel the whole thing and start over.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For the official COVID-19 recovery, did you have both the recovery letter and evidence of a dated positive COVID-19 test (antigen or PCR, whatever the Netherlands requires)?

Sorry that you were stuck in MSP overnight. I hope you found a good airport hotel.
Official PCR positive letter. It needs to be dated more than 11 days and less than 180 days depending on destination.

Intercontinental connected to airport, was pretty decent.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:13 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Official PCR positive letter. It needs to be dated more than 11 days and less than 180 days depending on destination.

Intercontinental connected to airport, was pretty decent.
Well done for the hotel, although I find it amazing that you can't walk from the hotel to the airport at most times even if you have a boarding pass and only hand luggage.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Well done for the hotel, although I find it amazing that you can't walk from the hotel to the airport at most times even if you have a boarding pass and only hand luggage.
Last I knew it was closed at all times due to TSA staffing.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 8:29 am

I've done mileage upgrades many times - and actually just booked one last night.

Mileage upgrade space availability isn't visible online. GUC availability is a different pool than mileage upgrade space, so finding GUC space doesn't guarantee a mileage upgrade avail. The only way to find out about mileage upgrade availability is by calling/texting with Delta and have them check for you. I've learned to be flexible with dates and routes to find availability. Also mileage upgrades have to clear 24 hours before departure. And you can use them on the domestic segment of an international flight, but more often than not it won't be available and you'll be waitlisted.

Yes, K class is the lowest fare for qualifying, but sometimes it's actually cheaper to purchase a higher fare class. I always check this part myself by doing an advanced search on Matrix and limiting the fare classes. I find it's easier than having the agents check, especially when you have to mix fare classes. That said, some fare classes, like W for example, have underlying fare classes which may not quality. Some W's do, and some have a low underlier like a T which doesn't allow for upgrades. But the only way to really see those are to ask the agents.

Good luck! Availability is so limited for mileage upgrades this summer and fall, as everyone is excited to get back to traveling abroad and flights are filling up quickly.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 8:34 am

Before DL changed the GUC rules, I certainly had the impression that GUCs and mileage upgrade awards booked into the same upgrade inventory class.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 8:43 am

Nope. I've been doing mileage upgrades for years and they've never been the same, and they've always been unsearchable by consumers. Maybe one day they'll make it visible to alleviate the already overly busy agents. There was rumor for awhile that maybe there was a correlation, and folks would sometimes search for that space or saverawards hoping that it might also mean a mileage upgrade would be available -- but not the case.

Another thing in my experience, and i'm sure it's not everyones, when a segment doesn't clear for the mileage upgrade award, you are waitlisted. That waitlist has to clear at least 24 hours beforehand, and I've had no luck in getting clearance from the waitlist. That said, my medallion upgrade would kick in on domestic legs and sometimes I'd clear at the gate that way.

Lastly, another little exception - and there's a whole thread for mileage upgrades you could check out tho it might be outdated -- when booking a mileage upgrade on Air France or KLM you have to be in Y,M, or B which are usually prohibitively expensive. You can also do them on Virgin Atlantic with the same Delta fare classes. But on these non-Delta carriers, they are almost never available and/or very pricy.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 12:21 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Sorry, old pre-merger Northwest commercial tag line, trying to sell more FC. Searched YouTube but couldn't find it.
Originally Posted by Zorak
No. Wife didn't show up on the upgrade list and neither gate agents nor Delta support wanted to help.

Lesson learned. If a booking agent messes up just cancel the whole thing and start over.
Good idea--clean up the record, eliminate any harmful remarks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.