Search

Delta overcharged me for a drink

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2022, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Delta overcharged me for a drink

Two parts to this.

I should have asked for a receipt, but I didn't. I got two margaritas on the plane. First one charged $12.00. Second one charged $22.00.

1) How do I remedy this? Just call and they'll believe me?
2) How do I get a receipt so I can expense this for work? I was told I can so I might as well. It was business travel.

Thanks!
Old Apr 29, 2022, 12:52 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by Frozenguy
Two parts to this.

I should have asked for a receipt, but I didn't. I got two margaritas on the plane. First one charged $12.00. Second one charged $22.00.

2) How do I get a receipt so I can expense this for work? I was told I can so I might as well. It was business travel.

Thanks!
So you're going to bill them both? That's the spirit!

I don't know about your company, but for small expenses like this (under $25), many don't require receipts.
Frozenguy, hhdl and _fx like this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Two parts to this.

Thanks!
double dip?

You can print out the credit card charge if you go to that card's website.
Goodoldflyer and Frozenguy like this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer

I don't know about your company, but for small expenses like this (under $25), many don't require receipts.
There are some companies that do not reimburse alcoholic drinks.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
double dip?

Sounds like a fat-finger error ($22 instead of $12) for the second drink.
Frozenguy and KBMIFlyer like this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

That's a good point, I'll check on that. I rarely drink, and these things were so tiny. 5 hour flight, not usually my thing but meh. Sure why not both? The company policy frowns upon excessive alcohol (which the wording says "usually in excess of 3 drinks"). So I figure this is ok. Plus this is being approved by an executive who encourages drinking at many events and incorporates alcohol whenever possible at other events.

Originally Posted by guv1976
Sounds like a fat-finger error ($22 instead of $12) for the second drink.
Yes I believe it was. Just trying to figure out how to get that solved. If I could have checked my amex charges on the plane, I would have done something about it then but I didn't check until walking to baggage.

Originally Posted by enviroian
double dip?

Double dip what? Two drinks? I rarely drink. Almost never. But I do like a margarita and figured live a little. I guess I could print that out but I still want that $10 back lol.

Originally Posted by DiverDave
There are some companies that do not reimburse alcoholic drinks.
I just learned mine does. So I might as well.

Last edited by Frozenguy; Apr 29, 2022 at 2:25 pm
Old Apr 29, 2022, 3:31 pm

One idea is to see if Delta can issue you a Delta Gift Card for $25, write into Delta Customer Service via Twitter and tell them what happened and have them reconcile the check and let them refund you. You never know they may offer additional compensation for the mistake.
Frozenguy likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 3:41 pm

That's the spirit!
I see what you did there.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danielonn
One idea is to see if Delta can issue you a Delta Gift Card for $25, write into Delta Customer Service via Twitter and tell them what happened and have them reconcile the check and let them refund you. You never know they may offer additional compensation for the mistake.
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you suggest twitter because it comes to mind or is there something more efficient with that route? I don't have a twitter account but will sign up if it's the best way.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 4:12 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you suggest twitter because it comes to mind or is there something more efficient with that route? I don't have a twitter account but will sign up if it's the best way.
Go through the website so that you can document it through your skimiles account as well as document the flight. Check the box requesting a reply.
Frozenguy likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 4:20 pm

I would just eat the $10 and avoid any employer scrutiny.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I would just eat the $10.
I already drank it
Old Apr 29, 2022, 10:22 pm

Programs: hahaha
Is there even a way to retrieve a receipt post-flight? I've seen other airlines have a similar mechanism so I thought Delta would as well.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 6:09 am

Amazing thread. Guy makes a very clear post with two unambiguous questions (how to correct mischarge, how to get receipt) and gets a bunch of responses about expense policies. great job FT!
Eastbay1K, DLASflyer and Frozenguy like this.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two parts to this.

Thanks!
1) Call Delta. Explain what happened. Most likely outcome will be a refund of the $22. Less likely is a refund of $10. Least likely is no refund at all. If that doesn’t work, dispute the charge on the AMEX website. For such a small sum, they’ll likely credit you immediately.

2) I have no idea.
Frozenguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.