Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Boarding Time, Will Pay Flight Attendants During Boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta increasing Boarding Time, Will Pay Flight Attendants During Boarding

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2022, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is FA and pilot pay calculated down to the minute? If so, I wonder how much variation there typically is, for instance they lose money if their flight has a strong tailwind and arrives early. This would seem to give pilots a perverse incentive to slow down.
volabam, mtofell and WGM like this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is FA and pilot pay calculated down to the minute? If so, I wonder how much variation there typically is, for instance they lose money if their flight has a strong tailwind and arrives early. This would seem to give pilots a perverse incentive to slow down.
Yes it is calculated to the minute but is usually paid the greater of the actual or scheduled block time, to avoid just this potential issue.
emma dog, MSPeconomist and volabam like this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Bear96
IIRC, at UA (and other airlines), door closing doesn't have anything to do with flight pay. Flight crew don't start to get paid flight time until the aircraft pushes back and begins moving, when ACARS registers the "departure." (ETA: Or is it brake release? Something like that, but not door closing.)

Frontier tries to address this problem by charging people more to bring a carry-on bag into the cabin (after one free "personal item") than they do to check a bag in the hold.
I flew LIM/ATL a couple years ago and there was some kind of of light burned out and and it took them a while to get it fixed since DL only does that one flight out of LIM. By the time they got it fixed they missed the curfew time to fly out of LIM and we couldn't leave until about four hours later and the plane was already boarded and they found the issue just before getting ready to leave.

The pilot said if anyone want to deplane they were welcome to and reboard later but he was moving the plane to the next gate and was going to have the FA's do the meal service immediately after we were at the next gate.

I found out in order for the FA's to get paid and for them to be able to do the meal service the door had to be closed and the plane had to show as departing the gate. It was absurd they wasted the jet fuel and pilots time to move over one gate so the FA's could get paid. Delta should have just been able to start paying the FA's at the time instead of moving the plane.

I hope Delta never starts charging for a carry on. Spirit has been doing that for a long time. I wouldn't mind them allowing elites to have a carry on and charging the kettles but letting them check a bag for free instead I think that would save a lot of time over fighting for bin space and also save time with the once a year travellers who try to bring on everything but the kitchen sing to avoid paying a fee.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 7:22 pm

This is absolutely 100% the only reason it is being done.
While this is not doubt part of it, but probably 50% the reason. Its no secret that it has been difficult to hire and retain employees at airlines or any industry for that matter. The direct and indirect costs for other airlines not having enough employees to run their full schedule is pretty significant. DL calculated that the "investment" in employees will be a lower cost option to ensure that they don't face the same disasters AS and others have experienced and the good PR doesn't hurt them either - I think I have seen a story on every single news source I view.
NYC Flyer and volabam like this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by The Situation
While this is not doubt part of it, but probably 50% the reason. Its no secret that it has been difficult to hire and retain employees at airlines or any industry for that matter. The direct and indirect costs for other airlines not having enough employees to run their full schedule is pretty significant. DL calculated that the "investment" in employees will be a lower cost option to ensure that they don't face the same disasters AS and others have experienced and the good PR doesn't hurt them either - I think I have seen a story on every single news source I view.
I think you are saying they did this to attract new employees. If so, maybe that is a tiny part but in large part I disagree. DL would get more bang for it's buck for recruiting purposes by simply further raising the hourly flight pay rate, which is the bottom line number applicants who are most likely not that familiar with the industry will be looking at and comparing to other airlines. (Because of the seniority system, airline employees very rarely voluntarily switch carriers, which DL knows, so they are not doing this to poach other airlines' F/As.)

Instead, DL chose to change a relatively arcane practice that has long been a hot-button issue inside the industry but is little known outside (except by aviation and FT geeks of course!). I would bet a good deal of money that if there were not (yet another) AFA organizing drive hanging over DL's heads, they would not have done this, even with the current tight labor market.

FTR I am not criticizing DL and I have no opinion one way or the other on DL F/As joining AFA (or any other union). It's a smart move on DL's part in light of the organizing effort. I am just saying don't kid yourself that that isn't what is ultimately behind the decision.
volabam likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I think you are saying they did this to attract new employees. If so, maybe that is a tiny part but in large part I disagree. DL would get more bang for it's buck for recruiting purposes by simply further raising the hourly flight pay rate, which is the bottom line number applicants who are most likely not that familiar with the industry will be looking at and comparing to other airlines. (Because of the seniority system, airline employees very rarely voluntarily switch carriers, which DL knows, so they are not doing this to poach other airlines' F/As.)

Instead, DL chose to change a relatively arcane practice that has long been a hot-button issue inside the industry but is little known outside (except by aviation and FT geeks of course!). I would bet a good deal of money that if there were not (yet another) AFA organizing drive hanging over DL's heads, they would not have done this, even with the current tight labor market.

FTR I am not criticizing DL and I have no opinion one way or the other on DL F/As joining AFA (or any other union). It's a smart move on DL's part in light of the organizing effort. I am just saying don't kid yourself that that isn't what is ultimately behind the decision.
I have a good friend that is an international ATL based flight attendant and he said it was the PMNW ones that were pushing for a union right after the merger. He said the Delta FA's didn't want to unionize. Their pay was better than what NW was paying and they didn't want to pay union dues. Not sure if this is still the case.

Some of the things he told me that the NW FA's complained about were down right petty. Like the red dresses they only had up to a size 18. The NW FA's compalined that their unoin contract called for dresses to be up to a size 28 and the designer refused to go past a size 18.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 9:19 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Some of the things he told me that the NW FA's complained about were down right petty. Like the red dresses they only had up to a size 18. The NW FA's compalined that their unoin contract called for dresses to be up to a size 28 and the designer refused to go past a size 18.
Limiting a desirable uniform option based on an employee's weight does not send a good message. I do not think the FAs were being petty.
NotHamSarnie likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 10:16 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by VFR
Limiting a desirable uniform option based on an employee's weight does not send a good message. I do not think the FAs were being petty.
simply move the zipper to the front, problem solved
Old Apr 29, 2022, 5:47 am

This is absolutely 100% the only reason it is being done.
I wouldn't say it was 100% the only reason. Either way DL was very likely to give their FAs a pay raise in the face of a unionization push, difficulty staffing/retaining EEs, and recent inflation pressures. DL would probably have been in a spot to need to give a pay raise even without the current unionization push. Doing this pay raise by paying boarding time (effectively at least a 10% increase) serves multiple purposes though as on top of improving compensation for the FAs. It gives good PR both externally and internally to other EE groups that DL is working to move away from some of the more "archaic" pay practices prominent in the airline industry, differentiates them from other airlines to prospective employees, and still leaves them the flexibility to raise the actual per hour pay rate in the future*, if this change alone is not sufficient to improve compensation.

*While there was nothing preventing them from increasing the hourly pay rate, I think having to make multiple hourly pay changes in a short period of time, if the first change wasn't sufficient, is generally frowned upon for a company to do as opposed to finding other more creative ways to address compensation
jamesteroh and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's also the distributional impact that if patterns of bidding routes don't change, the newer FAs benefit somewhat more, at least relatively. It also makes the shorter routes more attractive and might help to incentivize FAs to be willing to sign on for a couple extra short flights, for example during IROPs or when DL is facing crew shortages due to illness or other reasons.

An across the board pay raise would probably cause more senior FAs to be somewhat less inclined to retire voluntarily and thus raise costs somewhat more.
jamesteroh and beachmouse like this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by KeithRedford
No excuse not to do a PDB now.
yes after all It’s been 20 minutes since you left the skyclub

😂
Old Apr 29, 2022, 12:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Bring back the boarding zone pillars!! The gate lice have returned in droves.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Either way DL was very likely to give their FAs a pay raise in the face of a unionization push, difficulty staffing/retaining EEs, and recent inflation pressures. DL would probably have been in a spot to need to give a pay raise even without the current unionization push. Doing this pay raise by paying boarding time (effectively at least a 10% increase) serves multiple purposes though as on top of improving compensation for the FAs.
FYI, Delta had already announced back in March a 4% pay raise for most employees starting May 1:

https://www.reuters.com/business/aer...-4-2022-03-17/

This boarding pay for FAs is on top of the 4%.

To address some other posts on here, this boarding pay is a flat rate to be paid no matter how long boarding actually takes. On a domestic narrowbody, they will be paid for 40 mins boarding time even if it ends up taking only 25 mins, for example…
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 10:09 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
I don't see how the new boarding time changes any statistic from when they start boarding. All it does is give the passengers in boarding group 1 more time to order another round of PDB
Heh... PDB... remember? Good times.
volabam likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well my and others concerns are validated with the early boarding leading to early door closing - on a bos-jfk flight. A220 and boarding started at T-40. Completed 15 min before departure. GA came on to check seats since I heard them say they’re missing 5 pax, with 2 of them in F. Door closed 9 min before departure without anyone else boarding, and backed off gate 5 min early . Looks like employee got pulled up to one of the F seats and the other remained empty despite a long upgrade list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.