Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can't choose seats on Delta as a SkyTeam Elite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2022, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, AF-KL Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Silver

Hey guys,

I am unable to pick seats for my upcoming Delta flight. Me and the OH decided to go to NYC later in the year. We booked Basic Economy on Delta and AF. I am a SkyTeam Elite/ FB Silver and I am unable to reserve seats.

Can anyone advise please?
Old Apr 19, 2022, 12:27 pm

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
I don’t think Basic Economy allows you to choose seats at all regardless of status. Though to be honest I’ve never flown BE so I am not 100% sure
Old Apr 19, 2022, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CloneCones
I don’t think Basic Economy allows you to choose seats at all regardless of status. Though to be honest I’ve never flown BE so I am not 100% sure
I've just gone to their website and says SkyTeam Elites are eligible for complimentary seat selection. This is what the app says too

Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 1:04 pm

Programs: Delta PM
That actually says that the restrictions apply to all customers including but not limited to Medallion members and SkyTeam elites.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Even a 360 can't choose a seat in BE.

Not sure about reglar economy as an AF silver. As a Delta DM/MM I have been unable to chose seats until t-24 flying AirFrance intraeurope.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA,DL,F9,UA,WN
Correct. Basic Economy = no advance seat assignments, no miles, no MQM's.
No matter who you are.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 8:13 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
That app message tells you specifically that you *aren't* eligible to select a seat.

"restrictions apply to all customers"

Not very elite-friendly of Delta but that's what they decided to do....
J343 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. I misread the message on the app.

Very elite-friendly of Delta to offer seat assignment before check- in but I suppose the free 23kg check in will compensate for it! I was able to choose my seat with AF as a Basic Economy.

Just as a comparison, even AA will let me choose MCE seats on a Basic Economy fare through my BA Silver (owSapphire) status!
Old Apr 20, 2022, 4:02 am

Programs: Delta GM; FB Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC; National EE
There are major differences between AF and KL "light" fares and Delta's "Basic economy" fares. Even though most of the time, DL Basic Economy and KL/AF light fares might have exactly the same pricing, the rules are very different.

Flying blue elite members

1. DL marketed flight in Basic Economy ("E" fare):
You will earn miles and XP's for a Delta marketed flight in E. The mileage factor (flown miles vs earned miles) is 0.2. There is no difference in XP earning between any of the economy fares.
No advance seat selection, no cancellations, no upgrades (neither free nor paid). Priority boarding, lounge access (gold and platinum) and elite bag allowance still hold.

2. KL or AF marketed flight, light fare
This is also an eligible scenario, for which you will earn both miles and XP. Advance seat selection is still free and paid upgrades are still possible, Free upgrade to Economy Comfort on AF/KL metal for FB platinum. Priority boarding, lounge access and elite bag allowance are available.

Delta Skymiles Medaillion members

1. DL marketed flight in Basic Economy ("E" fase):
No miles, no MQM's, no advance seat selection, no cancellations, no upgrades (neither free nor paid), no same-day standby. Priority boarding, lounge access and elite bag allowance still hold.

In most cases, it would not be adviseable to book such fares as a Skymiles Medaillion member, as you will not earn MQM's (or MQD's for US based members)

2. KL or AF marketed flight, light fare
This is treated as any other KL economy flight. There is no difference in fare buckets between light and standard fares. So all the normal benefits hold: mileage and MQM earning, advance seat selection, paid upgrades, priority boarding, lounge access and elite bag allowance.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by SUPERTRAVEL
Correct. Basic Economy = no advance seat assignments, no miles, no MQM's.
No matter who you are.
I was expecting this, but as a lowly SkyMile member, I was credited MQM, MQD, MQS, miles on my recent BE flight. Not sure what’s going on.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LittleYaris
I was expecting this, but as a lowly SkyMile member, I was credited MQM, MQD, MQS, miles on my recent BE flight. Not sure what’s going on.
When did you purchase it?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
When did you purchase it?
I purchased it last week for a last minute trip.
Old Jun 25, 2022, 1:03 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by LittleYaris

Yeah, that sounds like an error in your favor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.