Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Downgraded when making a flight / second segment change online

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2022, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM

I could vent but what's the point? FYI then --

Just made a change to the second segment of a trip where we upgraded at T-7d, using the automated online system. Lost the upgrade on the first segment on change.

Only the second time I've had the online system actually work, so...

Last edited by kthomas; Apr 19, 2022 at 11:26 am
Old Apr 19, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist
So just to be clear, you changed segment 2 that you were already upgraded on and lost the upgrade on segment 2?

Hasn’t that been the case always and forever?

Or are you saying you lost segment 1 upgrade as well?
Old Apr 19, 2022, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CloneCones
... lost the upgrade on segment 2?

Lost segment 1. Obviously there's nothing to lose on seg. 2 as it's not the same flight . Edited above to clarify.

Last edited by kthomas; Apr 19, 2022 at 11:55 am
Old Apr 19, 2022, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Call up and have them fix it. If you paid for the upgrade on the first segment you definitely shouldn't loose it.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CloneCones
So just to be clear, you changed segment 2 that you were already upgraded on and lost the upgrade on segment 2?

Is this SDC or rebooking flights? Unless SDC, this was correct.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by kthomas
I could vent but what's the point? FYI then --

Just made a change to the second segment of a trip where we upgraded at T-7d, using the automated online system. Lost the upgrade on the first segment on change.

Only the second time I've had the online system actually work, so...
When you state changed second segment, are you meaning the second flight of an outbound fare component? or are you talking about the return?

The first question if it is a Yes, then I would be asking if that second flight is part of the first fare component? If it is....then the whole ticket would be re-fared at current fares and upgrades would be lost, as it is in a way the same as a new purchase.
If the second question is Yes and first question is NO, then the outbound should not be affected, which means the upgrade should not be lost.

Jwhuffman
Old Apr 19, 2022, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Is this SDC or rebooking flights? Unless SDC, this was correct.
Correct in what way? It has never happened before with changes done manually.

Practically, I doubt that this would affect many people as in most circumstances, you will move back to the top of the upgrade list unless someone higher in the pecking order books at the last minute or someone buys the seat (a good thing, iMHO). OTOH, mistakes happen all the time especially from non-US start points.

The chat agent I reached said this was due to the itinerary being repriced/reissued in a higher fare class, but said agent also referred to the first segment as 'outbound' and the second segment as the "return." Go figure.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jwhuffman
When you state changed second segment, are you meaning the second flight of an outbound fare component? or are you talking about the return?
Segment != return.

The first question if it is a Yes, then I would be asking if that second flight is part of the first fare component? If it is....then the whole ticket would be re-fared at current fares and upgrades would be lost,
This has not been my experience in the past, and it would impose a potentially significant negative penalty for making what are PAID changes. In this case, I would have been far more incentivized to just wait and make a SDC after landing in the US, for free. (Given a mess where I may not be re-added to the upgrade list -- no dice so far -- and have to spend time making that happen, I'm not sure why I would ever *pay* to make such a change in the future.)

In the end, whatever the backend systems are, taking PAX out of existing confirmed seats is counter-intuitive, dumb, and fails the "should not happen as an unintended consequence" test.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DL like number airlines price by O/D. When you goto rebook, even if one flight remains the same, you are rebooked O/D.

This is why for example, you book business fare AUS-AMS-ZRH in Z class. You then want to rebook to change AMS-ZRH to a later flight. AUS-AMS is now J1 (no seats but one l), later (new) AMS-ZRH is Z9. You will not be able to rebook as a Z fare. AUS-AMS has no Z available. Even though not changing that flight, you'll be required to pay for a FULL J ticket.

There was a time awhile back when agent could manually do something. However this has been case in awhile.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA
This is very informative.

Turns out every time you muck around with flights, you take the chance of changing something that could affect future changes.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL like number airlines price by O/D. When you goto rebook, even if one flight remains the same, you are rebooked O/D.

This is why for example, you book business fare AUS-AMS-ZRH in Z class. You then want to rebook to change AMS-ZRH to a later flight. AUS-AMS is now J1 (no seats but one l), later (new) AMS-ZRH is Z9. You will not be able to rebook as a Z fare. AUS-AMS has no Z available. Even though not changing that flight, you'll be required to pay for a FULL J ticket.

There was a time awhile back when agent could manually do something. However this has been case in awhile.
In an example like this, can we assume also that the agent would be unable to initially drop the AMS-ZRH segment to create an open jaw ticket retaining the same fare class for the AUS-AMS TATL segment and then selling AMS-ZRH separately, either as a multicity/broken fare ticket or just as a totally separate ticket (potentially with slight risk if KLM won't protect across tickets at AMS during IROPs). Often this would be more expensive, but probably not at all for the Z to J case.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In an example like this, can we assume also that the agent would be unable to initially drop the AMS-ZRH segment to create an open jaw ticket retaining the same fare class for the AUS-AMS TATL segment and then selling AMS-ZRH separately, either as a multicity/broken fare ticket or just as a totally separate ticket (potentially with slight risk if KLM won't protect across tickets at AMS during IROPs). Often this would be more expensive, but probably not at all for the Z to J case.
Only way AUS-AMS wouldn't be repriced is if had booked multicity/broken fare.. In example i gave, if fare is AUS-ZRH, thus AUS-AMS gets repriced. If instead had broken fare, AUS-AMS and AMS-ZRH, could reprice without touching AUS-AMS
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.