Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta PM - Access lounge in YYZ (Toronto)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2022, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Can a Delta PM (with Amex Reserve) access the Westjet partner lounge in YYZ? Flying ATL-YYZ-YYC on June 20, 2022.

The announcement one year ago between Delta and Westjet:

Today, partners WestJet and Delta announced the launch of reciprocal top-tier benefits. ... Delta Medallion and WestJet Rewards members have been earning miles and WestJet dollars on either airline since 2014 and as of today, the airlines are further enhancing their reciprocal offering as part of a shared goal to improve and deepen the advantages for their guests. ... Qualifying WestJet Business cabin guests and top-tier Rewards members now have access to all Delta Sky Clubs when they fly an eligible itinerary with either WestJet or Delta.

Westjet advertises a "partner lounge" in YYZ. From he Westjet website:
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/airport/lounges
  • Platinum, Gold and Silver WestJet Rewards members are eligible for complimentary lounge access based on their tier benefits.

In my opinion, if this were a true reciprocal benefit, it would seem Delta flyers would be able to access a lounge in the same way a Westjet customer would. But somehow, I am guessing this deal is offering nothing to Delta passengers despite the "reciprocal benefits"

Last edited by pfreet; Apr 18, 2022 at 6:38 am Reason: wrong airport
Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:32 am

I tried a few weeks ago in the T3 transborder Canada/USA area flying WestJet and was told no. It was not a WestJet lounge.
becks1 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can we assume the OP is flying ATL-YYZ operated by DL and connecting to YYZ-YYC operated by WestJet, all in coach?
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
FYI. The lounge is on the domestic side of Terminal 3 therefore not accessible from the trans-border area.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
HUH? OP enters Canada at YYZ for the domestic Canadian connecting flight. One is only stuck in the transborder area (holding pen) when leaving Canada, although it's also possible (I don't recall the airport where this happened) to be stuck in a holding area when connecting USA-Canada-EU (or other international destination).
Old Apr 18, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by pfreet
Can a Delta PM (with Amex Reserve) access the Westjet partner lounge in YYZ? Flying ATL-YYZ-YYC on June 20, 2022.

The announcement one year ago between Delta and Westjet:

Today, partners WestJet and Delta announced the launch of reciprocal top-tier benefits. ... Delta Medallion and WestJet Rewards members have been earning miles and WestJet dollars on either airline since 2014 and as of today, the airlines are further enhancing their reciprocal offering as part of a shared goal to improve and deepen the advantages for their guests. ... Qualifying WestJet Business cabin guests and top-tier Rewards members now have access to all Delta Sky Clubs when they fly an eligible itinerary with either WestJet or Delta.

Westjet advertises a "partner lounge" in YYZ. From he Westjet website:
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/airport/lounges
  • Platinum, Gold and Silver WestJet Rewards members are eligible for complimentary lounge access based on their tier benefits.

In my opinion, if this were a true reciprocal benefit, it would seem Delta flyers would be able to access a lounge in the same way a Westjet customer would. But somehow, I am guessing this deal is offering nothing to Delta passengers despite the "reciprocal benefits"
Reciprocal means Delta flyers have access to a Westjet lounge when on qualifying flights, and Westjet flyers have access to a Delta lounge when on qualifying flights.
That's what reciprocal means.

It does not mean Delta flyers are treated the same as Westjet flyers for all purposes.
That is not what reciprocal means.

Last edited by Adam1222; Apr 18, 2022 at 10:22 am
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can we assume the OP is flying ATL-YYZ operated by DL and connecting to YYZ-YYC operated by WestJet, all in coach?
Yes, Exactly! The YYZ-YYC leg is Westjet. If I was a Westjet customer, it seems I would get into the partner lounge. Just asking for my recipocracy.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pfreet
Yes, Exactly! The YYZ-YYC leg is Westjet. If I was a Westjet customer, it seems I would get into the partner lounge. Just asking for my recipocracy.
Suspect that DL member access only applies to WS Elevation Lounge in YYC and not the third party contract lounges in other airports -- http://www.westjet.com/en-ca/airport...-lounge-access
(Just as WS members would only have access to DL Sky Club and not DL third party lounges).
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
HUH? OP enters Canada at YYZ for the domestic Canadian connecting flight. One is only stuck in the transborder area (holding pen) when leaving Canada, although it's also possible (I don't recall the airport where this happened) to be stuck in a holding area when connecting USA-Canada-EU (or other international destination).
You're thinking of T1 at YYZ. T3 doesn't have ITI, you must enter Canada when connecting from US to another country at T3. However, can skip entering Canada on the way back from another country to US.
Old May 12, 2023, 10:52 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Has anyone tried using the Air France-KLM lounge when transiting in YYZ from Delta to Westjet?

It seems like it should meet the SkyTeam Elite+ requirements.... international flight on Delta ticket (and presumably YYZ-YYC on WS metal is codeshare DL as would be typical on such a ticket). And it's also not a SkyClub, so the crappy new SkyClub rules on lounge access for elites won't apply.

Also, while the lounge is in the international section of Terminal 3, there is no division between domestic and international, so a domestic passenger (e.g. YYZ-YYC) can just walk down to the end of the international pier and take the elevator up to the Air France-KLM Lounge. I used the lounge last weekend on a domestic WS flight (no connection) using credit card access, but it seems like it should work for DL passengers transiting onto WS.

The only actual WS lounge I'm aware of is in YYC (which looks pretty great... I would love to try it if I transited through YYC).
Old May 12, 2023, 10:56 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by SoroSuub1
Has anyone tried using the Air France-KLM lounge when transiting in YYZ from Delta to Westjet?

It seems like it should meet the SkyTeam Elite+ requirements.... international flight on Delta ticket (and presumably YYZ-YYC on WS metal is codeshare DL as would be typical on such a ticket). And it's also not a SkyClub, so the crappy new SkyClub rules on lounge access for elites won't apply.

Also, while the lounge is in the international section of Terminal 3, there is no division between domestic and international, so a domestic passenger (e.g. YYZ-YYC) can just walk down to the end of the international pier and take the elevator up to the Air France-KLM Lounge. I used the lounge last weekend on a domestic WS flight (no connection) using credit card access, but it seems like it should work for DL passengers transiting onto WS.

The only actual WS lounge I'm aware of is in YYC (which looks pretty great... I would love to try it if I transited through YYC).
The SkyTeam website says that "Lounge access will be provided only at your departure airport and transfer airports, and not on arrival." So I don't think connecting DL-WS will get you into an AF lounge. It's okay, you're not missing much.
Old May 12, 2023, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VFR
The SkyTeam website says that "Lounge access will be provided only at your departure airport and transfer airports, and not on arrival." So I don't think connecting DL-WS will get you into an AF lounge. It's okay, you're not missing much.
If one was connecting to a Skyteam "operated" flight it would be valid for access. But connecting to a DL coded, WS operated flight wouldn't qualify as WS is not Skyteam.
VFR and SoroSuub1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.