Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Diamond representative thinks Alaska is not a US state, almost burned a GUC

Delta Diamond representative thinks Alaska is not a US state, almost burned a GUC

Old Apr 16, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Taz
A few years ago, I had a TSA agent at LGA insist that my Michigan driver's license was a fake ID because "everyone knows that Kalamazoo is in Canada". After I picked my jaw up from the floor, I used my right hand palm map of Michigan to show him where Kalamazoo is, and he still wasn't having it. Had to get at least one supervisor involved before they let me pass.
I had a TSA agent tell me once I'd be crossing the Atlantic on my way to Japan from Seattle. The guy behind me in line - probably a FlyerTalker, judging by the wit - quipped in response that "even Taco Bell requires you to know which direction the border is to work there" in response. The TSA guy was... not pleased about that comment.
Taz, enviroian, Hoyaheel and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 7:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I got in a fight with my former employer’s HR department back on 2001 when I was being transferred to Spain. One employee kept insisting it was in Latin America because they spoke Spanish. She then proceeded to screw up several applications. I had to get the global head of HR involved to fix it.
Hoyaheel and hhdl like this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 7:59 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by BenA
I had a TSA agent tell me once I'd be crossing the Atlantic on my way to Japan from Seattle. The guy behind me in line - probably a FlyerTalker, judging by the wit - quipped in response that "even Taco Bell requires you to know which direction the border is to work there" in response. The TSA guy was... not pleased about that comment.
I would have hugged the guy behind you in line right then and there. That's awesome!
Old Apr 16, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: DL PLAT and 2MM;AA EXP;MR GOLD;PC Gold
I taught a few years back in the 1980s. So many people don't care that they are stupid. It is a sad situation.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 11:08 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
A lot of really uncharitable people here, but when you're being yelled at all day by customers, it's easy to have a brain fart and confuse something that only applies to the Continental US with something that applies to 50 states.
doesn't seem the agent refused to correct the error when it was pointed out.
Even the most rigorous hiring process will lead to CS reps that make mistakes sometimes.
I imagine all the critics in this thread have never made dumb mistakes in their work. But I have!
Old Apr 16, 2022, 11:09 am

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
A coworker had been a Canadian Border Services Agency agent in a previous life, stationed at the Woodstock, NB land crossing, on the other side of Houlton, ME where I-95 ends.

One day a car with Massachusetts plates pulls up, the window rolls down and the driver hands her a $5 bill. While my friend is processing this "what the..." moment, the lady in the passenger seats asks how much farther Florida was.
Hoyaheel, hi55us and hhdl like this.

Last edited by bambinomartino; Apr 16, 2022 at 11:15 am
Old Apr 16, 2022, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by NW.BTR.Than.The.Rest
I taught a few years back in the 1980s. So many people don't care that they are stupid. It is a sad situation.

When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful & difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid.
TerryK, M60_to_LGA and hhdl like this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
And of course there was the American agent a few years ago when I was checking in to go to Panama City Florida who kept asking me bizarre questions and when she finally got to my passport- I asked her what she was doing and she said she was checking me in to Panama City. I said Florida? she goes “there’s no such place as Panama City Florida”. She then turned to another agent and started laughing about my lack of knowledge of where I was going.
Reminds me of the DL gate agent in Atlanta a few months ago announcing boarding for Myrtle Beach, Florida. It caught enough attention that the pilot made sure we all knew that we were going to South Carolina, in case anyone was wondering.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.