Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Cost for valuable item on international flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cost for valuable item on international flight?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2022, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bigmillz
This might be the most practical alternative idea.

Only downside I'd have to figure out...if I'm going further (like I spend a lot of time in South America) then it might get expensive super fast.

Recently tried to ship something back from South Africa after leaving, and it was close to $500 USD for an item weighing about a pound. Gave up on it ha.
ZA shipping is expensive. Limited flights that are 12+hrs in length to/from. I have HS friend lives there. I'm always bringing items to her during my trips there. I wouldn't compare ZA costs to rest of world.
becks1 and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 7:52 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Fit everything you want to carry-on, into your carry-on allowance. It really is that simple

It sounds like that's possible here. So I don't know why any other action is needed?

I often reshuffle my carry-on and checked bags so my high value items, necessary items, etc fit in my carry-on. Yes of course it's nice to have clothes in your carry-on 'just in case' but you can also buy clothes pretty much anywhere you are going too.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 8:06 am
WGM

Programs: DL PM
The only thing is, with the case, amplifier, cables, etc, it's roughly the size of a personal item. And with their value, I would never check them.
Maybe I am missing something? You are allowed a carry-on and a personal item. Put your clothes/meds in your carry-on and your headphone/case is your personal item.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 8:54 am

Hey all, I'm a so-called audiophile, and just got myself a wild new pair of headphones for when I do longer term travel. Not for on the plane, but when I'm staying away from home for 1-3 months.

The only thing is, with the case, amplifier, cables, etc, it's roughly the size of a personal item. And with their value, I would never check them.

I spoke with Platinum support and they suggested bringing them to the airport and declaring as a "valuable item" at the counter. My only fear is a huge surprise, either a $500 fee, or "we can't do that, gotta check it." My other idea was to ask them to gate check my checked bag, but that contains heat sensitive medication.

Has anyone ever brought anything on as a valuable item, and know how it works, and the cost? Per Delta's page on it, high value electronics that don't require an extra seat can incur a fee of $50-$70, which is very reasonable.

Would this be something you could ship (insured, of course) via UPS or FedEx? It might be more cost-effective and less worrisome for you.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For some countries, international shipments of electronics can be complicated. Some places might try to collect duty or want a bond until you prove that you've taken the items out of the country with you.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
ZA shipping is expensive. Limited flights that are 12+hrs in length to/from. I have HS friend lives there. I'm always bringing items to her during my trips there. I wouldn't compare ZA costs to rest of world.
Makes sense, it is Delta's longest route apparently (part of why I did it)!

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Fit everything you want to carry-on, into your carry-on allowance. It really is that simple

It sounds like that's possible here. So I don't know why any other action is needed?

I often reshuffle my carry-on and checked bags so my high value items, necessary items, etc fit in my carry-on. Yes of course it's nice to have clothes in your carry-on 'just in case' but you can also buy clothes pretty much anywhere you are going too.
That's a fair point. I mean, it's nice but ultimately wearing the same clothes for a few days (with showers) isn't going to kill me. Losing my meds or high value items just might
But like I said in another post, it wouldn't be hard at all to roll a few shirts and gym shorts or joggers up into my carry on bag next to the headphone case. Rather than just carrying on the case, may as well use the extra few inches to put in a few extras.
CPMaverick likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.