Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access Lines and Waiting due to capacity

Sky Club Access Lines and Waiting due to capacity

Old Apr 12, 22, 9:00 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
They donít care what you do and the United Club situation at hubs ainít any better.
How often do you use the United Clubs? I use the ones at ORD and IAD regularly. C26 at ORD is a mess (but in the middle of an expansion). B6 and E/F clubs always have capacity. Never have any issues at IAD either (though IAD is a shell of what it was). I hear EWR is rough but I never fly through there.

Any business that doesn't have a monopoly and doesn't care what it's customers are thinking and doing is a fool.
Old Apr 12, 22, 9:52 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver, AS 75K 15-22
Originally Posted by SS255 View Post
My brother just got into the Sky Club at LAX after waiting 28 minutes.
With current estimate of new LAX Terminal opening date of April 20, over-crowding solution of LAX is just few days away....

Jiburi
Old Apr 12, 22, 9:54 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by dtwlarry View Post
Good points. If I may interject an oddball item...are there "fewer seats" than there were previously? To my eyes, DTW A38 had a lot more seating prior to trying to social distance 2 years ago, and even a month or two ago, it didn't seem like A38 was as packed (like sardines, or cheek by jowl, you choose your alliteration) as it was in 2019, where it was kneecaps in aisles, all over. Are the ATL lounges at similar seating quantities as they were 2019?
As stated, the Florida lounges are absolutely slammed with spring breakers, etc. I've seen a bunch of different stories and articles about the hordes invading the Magic Kingdom, etc. Figures the FL lounges are PACKED!
Last time I was through ATL seating was back to normal. E club certainly slammed, took me a few minutes to find a single chair. One of the reasons I tend to go to T more often than not.
Old Apr 12, 22, 10:06 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by VFR View Post
Limiting guests is tough because for a lot of people, their guest is going to be a spouse.
For some, that would be an added benefit. Might make the ride home / to the destination from the airport a bit more tense, though.
jamesteroh and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 12, 22, 12:07 pm

Part of the problem is DLís lack of D1 dedicated lounges . At the major international gateway clubs , having a dedicated D1 lounge would remove hundreds of folks from the Skyclubs at peak departure times . Not having D1 lounges is really a negative when comparing to UA Polaris and AA Flagship . I would not be a happy camper paying for J and being told I have to wait 30 mins or longer to enter a Skyclub .
Xeno, jamesteroh, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 12, 22, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 123run View Post
Is domestic travel above pre-covid levels? Something has to account for the increase numbers in the club., besides an increase in Amex users. The only time I had more than a few minutes wait pre covid to get in occurred during major bad weather delays. I know Iíve now been sitting in clubs for longer stretches due to longer connection times.
Why is there an increase in AmEx users? Do you mean more cardmembers? This seems strange at the same time as AmEx is increasing its annual fees and lots of people are reportedly quitting their jobs. (The economy is bad so I'll pay more for more credit cards and qualify to get them?)
Old Apr 12, 22, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Why is there an increase in AmEx users? Do you mean more cardmembers? This seems strange at the same time as AmEx is increasing its annual fees and lots of people are reportedly quitting their jobs. (The economy is bad so I'll pay more for more credit cards and qualify to get them?)
My Amex comment was related to the conversations upstream discussing Amex holders using it to enter SC. I have no knowledge or interest in trying to figure out numbers regarding Amex.
Old Apr 12, 22, 2:22 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Hyatt Exploits
This seems strange at the same time as AmEx is increasing its annual fees and lots of people are reportedly quitting their jobs. (The economy is bad so I'll pay more for more credit cards and qualify to get them?)
The economy is a lot of things, but "bad" isn't one of them. And people quitting their job is usually a bullish sign of people's finances and ability to spend on travel and cards.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Apr 12, 22, 2:26 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
The economy is bad...
Is that why it's growing at an unnatural pace such that we're seeing rising interest rates to tamp down the growth a bit?
Old Apr 12, 22, 2:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K
Originally Posted by Mister Nice View Post
Part of the problem is DLís lack of D1 dedicated lounges . At the major international gateway clubs , having a dedicated D1 lounge would remove hundreds of folks from the Skyclubs at peak departure times . Not having D1 lounges is really a negative when comparing to UA Polaris and AA Flagship . I would not be a happy camper paying for J and being told I have to wait 30 mins or longer to enter a Skyclub .
I don't see how having a dedicated D1 lounge would help vs using that sq footage to building an additional skyclub or enlarging an existing skyclub. The "hundreds" of D1 passengers still consume the same amount of space. So wouldn't it make more sense to just expand or build additional skyclubs. And if you have a D1 only club, doesn't it really only help during D1 departures hours, and during other times the club will be basically empty?
Old Apr 12, 22, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by scklumb View Post
I don't see how having a dedicated D1 lounge would help vs using that sq footage to building an additional skyclub or enlarging an existing skyclub. The "hundreds" of D1 passengers still consume the same amount of space. So wouldn't it make more sense to just expand or build additional skyclubs. And if you have a D1 only club, doesn't it really only help during D1 departures hours, and during other times the club will be basically empty?
I use the AF and Virgin lounges frequently at IAD. They only open around the specific hours of their flights. DL could do the same with any D1 lounges.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Apr 12, 22, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
My memory is that the ATL dedicated BE lounges also served as arrivals lounges. Beyond that there are D1 flights that leave at midnight.
Old Apr 12, 22, 7:21 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
My memory is that the ATL dedicated BE lounges also served as arrivals lounges. Beyond that there are D1 flights that leave at midnight.
Usually arrivals lounges are landside so that arriving passengers can claim checked bags and then enter the lounge. Otherwise, they're only useful to people (perhaps many business travelers) who do carry on only because most people wouldn't to leave a checked bag unclaimed on a belt for long. OTOH, most departing passengers prefer that lounges be located airside in order to avoid having to leave very early out of an abundance of caution regarding TSA airport security lines, etc.
Old Apr 12, 22, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by scklumb View Post
If it was a dedicated D1 lounge, it could be like the Polaris lounge and they could offer premium drinks and food for free. Also when lounges are at capacity, the D1 customers who are paying a lot for a ticket probably wouldn't have to wait in long lines and would be nice if there was an irops sitatuion that they wouldn't have as long of a wait to talk to an agent about getting on a new flight.

I think the new SC at DTW is a lot nicer than the other ones even though it is small and would make for a great D1 lounge, just don't charge for any alcohol.
Old Apr 12, 22, 7:26 pm

Do many D1 passengers drink in the lounge or wait to be served the better stuff on board? F&B on board is entertainment to some extent, versus using the lounge to work. Of course, the decision making changes if one plans to have a meal in the lounge before boarding and then to immediately try to sleep on the flight.

Search this Thread