Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access Lines and Waiting due to capacity

Old Sep 22, 22, 7:09 am

Programs: 2.76MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
Go ahead and add D clubs and I was finally granted access at E. I have never seen every club like this here.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:10 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:29 am

Programs: 2.76MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
Thanks for that. Not sure how I missed that thread.

I've still never seen anything like this. I traveled these same flights the last two weeks. Neither trips had ATL like this.

DTW A clubs were jammed Monday but no lines.
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 8:02 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Tit, Hertz Prez, Chic-fil-a Silver
Edit: double post
JesseRohr likes this.

Last edited by GlobeTrttr83; Sep 22, 22 at 10:52 am
Old Sep 22, 22, 9:04 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Tit, Hertz Prez, Chic-fil-a Silver
Originally Posted by shoodawg View Post
The over capacity situation indicates that the price for admission must be raised and / or access windows must be significantly tightened.
This.

If I'm paying for lounge access, it's not just to get "free" drinks and carrot sticks. I'd want a quiet environment away from the gate chaos to maybe get some work done or have a beer after a long day. Sounds like I'm more likely to find that in an empty gate with my earbuds and a paid-for coffee.

I think things will change in 2023 when the elite ranks are thinned considerably and a recession really hits (I remember this after the 2008 GFC). Too many people ended 2019 with Gold or Platinum and had that extended 2x, and then leveled up from there. I guess the number of elites is massively inflated presently, and those newly-minted Diamonds are choosing SkyClub as a choice benefit, thus cramming the clubs before every single flight they take until the novelty wears off.
chica and BigFishDave like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sadly, picking the SC membership as a DM choice benefit could look like a valuable option, especially if one is concerned about not being able to use GUCs/RUCs. Compare the normal price of a SC membership to a $200 gift card or the value one can get from 25,000 RDMs ($250 if using pay-with-miles). Of course, this only applies to those who don't otherwise have SC access (for domestic itineraries) or convenient and viable PP lounges, etc. if one has a PP membership (although even so, SCs have an advantage during IROPs).
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Suspect the elite ranks will be overly swollen with Golds and Plats through 2023. Many probably earned it this year due to 2 years worth of MQM rollover and travel suddenly picking up again and having Amex MQD Waiver. Those who earned it this year will have their status all the way through 2023.
BigFishDave and dtwlarry like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 22, 22 at 2:44 pm
Old Sep 22, 22, 2:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Airlines with non-stops to where I'm going
Today @1630 Eastern JFK Terminal 4. About 30 in line. As previously reported no 360/Delta 1 express line.
Old Sep 22, 22, 3:06 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Today at SFO, 1:50 PM. No wait. But! Club about 95% full in terms of seating. Almost back to pre Covid level of crowding. I was here in November when the club was deserted. Shows how far San Francisco travel has recovered

On the other hand, I feel like food selection here is now well below some of the better clubs (SEA, JFK, LGA, AUS); several years ago it was one of the best in the system
Old Sep 22, 22, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Titanium; *A Gold
Originally Posted by dcstudent View Post
Today @1630 Eastern JFK Terminal 4. About 30 in line. As previously reported no 360/Delta 1 express line.
I was in that line about an hour before you - maybe 20 people in line but moved fast. Less than 10 minutes. Club itself did not feel crowded - no lines inside.

Last time I waited to enter, there were long lines at the food. This time they had two food lines this time around to deal with overcrowding
Old Sep 22, 22, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AC 50K, Hyatt Ist-iest, Starriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Today the main LGA lounge had probably 40ish people in line waiting both at about 5 pm and also 6:30.

The "secret" club however had no line. which I discovered since my flight is out of here in the throwback/old gates.
Old Sep 23, 22, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
My understanding is that capacity limits are basically set by fire marshal regulations and aren't necessarily tied to the number of empty seats. Moreover, people could take their belongings to the lavatories or when they queue to talk to an agent during IROPs or stop at the buffet or bar before finding a seat.
Correct. Normally most jurisdiction require a sign somewhere in establishment that says "Maximum Occupancy XXX by order of the Fire Marshall" or similar.

Last edited by flyerCO; Sep 23, 22 at 3:14 am
Old Sep 23, 22, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dw View Post
Thats true for UA but not AA. Flagship Lounges also grant entry based on oneworld status.
I am curious what happens to AA Flagship dining. AA has announced they will stop having Flagship First Class of service next year. They're also increasing # of J seats, on some aircraft they will offer 70 J cabin seats. This will mean lots of people vying for lounge access.

Basically the lesson, the grass may be green today at OAL, but burnt tomorrow.
Old Sep 23, 22, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by GlobeTrttr83 View Post

I think things will change in 2023 when the elite ranks are thinned considerably
this will not change club crowd levels at all.
Old Sep 23, 22, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68 View Post
this will not change club crowd levels at all.
The impending worldwide recession may however....

Search this Thread