Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access Lines and Waiting due to capacity

Sky Club Access Lines and Waiting due to capacity

Old Sep 17, 22, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by shoodawg View Post
The Centurion was also over capacity tonight. A waiting list was being used. Our invitation text came about 30 minutes after checking in so we passed. Then flight delayed so headed over to Skyclub. Long line there with no Diamond Fastpass.
At that point you've got to just keep going around the corner a little bit further and see if you can get into the VS Clubhouse
Old Sep 17, 22, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chaz_12 View Post
Massive line at JFK T4 sky club this evening (5pm on a Sat). They went down the line handing out waters while people waited.

I defected to T2. No line outside (because this dreary club is in massive need of s refresh). Lines inside for the bar, for the food, for the bathroom.
Pretty sure T2 club won't be getting a refresh as T4 expansion is scheduled to open summer of 2023 (when DL will vacate T2 so it can be demolished).
Old Sep 17, 22, 6:23 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by bdmarc View Post
Very early Saturday morning and there is almost nowhere to sit. Lovely, relatively new club, nice outside area, but filled. Line for the men's room. When I left to catch my connecting flight, there was a line of about 50 people waiting to get in. Seems like someone did a poor job of capacity planning with the new construction.
I'm confused at why Delta didn't keep both of its SkyClub locations at LAX when they opened the new one. Clearly there is enough demand for all three spaces.

Similarly, in addition to completing the expansion at the new LGA club, Delta probably needs to add another club at LGA closer to gates. At ATL, they also need an additional two or three clubs, plus a D1 club. Etc. The only solution long term is adding additional capacity.
Old Sep 17, 22, 8:26 pm

Time to increase access costs

The over capacity situation indicates that the price for admission must be raised and / or access windows must be significantly tightened.
Old Sep 18, 22, 10:57 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by flyerfirsts View Post
is there any particular reason to believe there won't be the typical drop off when school starts or just a guess?
It's very cheap to do a European trip with FX where it is at the moment, that'll continue to goose fall numbers.
Old Sep 18, 22, 11:06 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold
If DL finally started building up D1 lounges (ie. something similar to Flagship/Polaris) this would alleviate some of this ,especially at JFK, wouldn't it?

I get that SC's are a cut above UCs and ACs....but it seems like DL is putting themselves at a competitive disadvantage with the lack of a D1 lounge and with crowds in the SCs. An intl business lounge, to me, seems like it would significantly reduce SC crowds in a lot of locations.
Old Sep 18, 22, 11:30 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by demkr View Post
If DL finally started building up D1 lounges (ie. something similar to Flagship/Polaris) this would alleviate some of this ,especially at JFK, wouldn't it?

I get that SC's are a cut above UCs and ACs....but it seems like DL is putting themselves at a competitive disadvantage with the lack of a D1 lounge and with crowds in the SCs. An intl business lounge, to me, seems like it would significantly reduce SC crowds in a lot of locations.
There is one coming to JFK next year. Apparently LAX will have at least a section devoted to D1. Also DTW may have one as well.

Outside of those three, I think they only need D1 in ATL. Otherwise more impactful would be expansion / additions of more general SkyClubs. Not too much international traffic at FLL, LGA, ATL B, other locations where crowding is noted
Old Sep 18, 22, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
There is one coming to JFK next year. Apparently LAX will have at least a section devoted to D1. Also DTW may have one as well.

Outside of those three, I think they only need D1 in ATL. Otherwise more impactful would be expansion / additions of more general SkyClubs. Not too much international traffic at FLL, LGA, ATL B, other locations where crowding is noted
They should make ATL F a D1 lounge only. Everyone else flying international can go to E.
Moyerclan, gt5889a and FabCW like this.
Old Sep 18, 22, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls View Post
It's very cheap to do a European trip with FX where it is at the moment, that'll continue to goose fall numbers.
I keep hearing this, but as someone who tracks prices they're 20% higher than they were in USD when the exchange rate was 1.2:1 just because of how high prices have gone.
Old Sep 18, 22, 9:20 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Victim of its success. I also use the AS Lounges in SFO and LAX frequently and there's never a line, and there's barely enough food to cobble together a meal. I made a ham sandwich last week at the AS SFO club Nigel Tufnel style by inserting a slice of the meat into a roll. Along with the pasta salad came close to making it a full lunch.
Old Sep 18, 22, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM MM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Plat, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach View Post
I made a ham sandwich last week at the AS SFO club Nigel Tufnel style by inserting a slice of the meat into a roll.
But did you fold it?
ShopAround likes this.
Old Sep 19, 22, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by PotomacApproach View Post
Victim of its success. I also use the AS Lounges in SFO and LAX frequently and there's never a line, and there's barely enough food to cobble together a meal. I made a ham sandwich last week at the AS SFO club Nigel Tufnel style by inserting a slice of the meat into a roll. Along with the pasta salad came close to making it a full lunch.
anything is a meal if you eat enough of it
dw likes this.
Old Sep 19, 22, 5:28 am

Programs: DL PM
Just another data point MSP F/G was getting full at about 5:40am but no line and when leaving at 6:10am there was a line about 10 deep.
Old Sep 19, 22, 6:53 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by dcadwell View Post
Early AM flight out of ATL T (for now) tomorrow; will report on what the line/club look like.
Updates from my trip:

9/16
ATL -
6:00am ~20 in line at A17, never got too crowded but only there for an hour.
JFK - 10:30am, no line, upstairs crowded but able to find a spot for 3. Started to clear out around 11:15a or so.

9/18
LGA - 7:30am, no line. Never really got too crowded and no line as I left around 8:50am.
Old Sep 20, 22, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bdmarc View Post
Very early Saturday morning and there is almost nowhere to sit. Lovely, relatively new club, nice outside area, but filled. Line for the men's room. When I left to catch my connecting flight, there was a line of about 50 people waiting to get in. Seems like someone did a poor job of capacity planning with the new construction.
Was the old T2 club upstairs open? Perhaps they need longer hours at that one.

Search this Thread