Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access Lines and Waiting due to capacity

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Access Lines and Waiting due to capacity

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2022, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dw
I still remember the days when clubs charged for drinks! And indeed, I was a UA club member back in the early 2000s and remember the food being Milano cookies, plastic wrapped crackers and plastic wrapped cheese (not *even* the cheese cubes everyone derides now).
Exactly. Folks can't have it both ways. Delta has certainly allowed too many folks to have access to a limited commodity (space in the SC), but unless we want to go back to the "clubs are empty but have no amenities" days, we have to accept some level of crowding. Hopefully Platinum card annual fees coming due will help reduce numbers in the coming months.

I personally would not pay for lounge access that only provided cheap packaged snacks and no free drinks. It's part of the reason why I don't fly United much. Their clubs are a lot closer to the old model, and quality lounge amenities are important to me.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeystl
If things weren't bad enough, now the View From The Wing blog is suggesting non members get in Sky Club lines for free snacks.

"Your Sky Club credentials (such as a club membership or Amex Platinum/Centurion card) aren’t checked until you reach the front of the line. So if you’re looking for free snacks at the airport, consider joining the line for a Delta Sky Club!"
https://viewfromthewing.com/report-d...m=BoardingArea
Just mind blowing how these travel blog websites are hawking premium travel credit cards for the sign-up commission feeding this chaos.

What gets me is the JFK SC line, if it is all AmEx Platinum Card holders, why aren't they at the Centurion Lounge or a terminal 4 priority pass lounge? Probably STE+ 2 year roll overs taking their 1st international trip in 2 years.

Originally Posted by xliioper
Amex Plat holders have to be flying DL in order to get in. Without a breakdown of entry method, it's hard to know who is primary contributor. A lot of EU flying is seasonal and is almost certainly a big contributor right now as anyone Gold and higher can get in with a guest on these itins and there's probably an excess of Gold Medallions right now from 2 consecutive years of 100% MQM rollover. EU flying should start slowing in September and there a number of EU flights out of ATL that are dropped for the season after Oct 28th (ATL-VCE/ATH/MXP/BCN/DUB). ATL-FCO also loses second daily flight and ATL-MAD goes less than daily after the 28th.
Delta wanted to maintain the medallion ranks, and is now dealing with the blow-back/un happy customers waiting in line.

Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Exactly. Folks can't have it both ways. Delta has certainly allowed too many folks to have access to a limited commodity (space in the SC), but unless we want to go back to the "clubs are empty but have no amenities" days, we have to accept some level of crowding. Hopefully Platinum card annual fees coming due will help reduce numbers in the coming months.

I personally would not pay for lounge access that only provided cheap packaged snacks and no free drinks. It's part of the reason why I don't fly United much. Their clubs are a lot closer to the old model, and quality lounge amenities are important to me.
We're 9 months into the $795 annual fee increase cycle and the lines are not improving.

New United Club at EWR is OK. I was in the IAD Polaris Lounge last month, as it was OK with the sit down meal service, but the premium beverage offerings was nice such as champagne served in tulip glasses and premium bar offerings. Still prefer the Centurion Lounge's.

I agree regarding the other United Clubs outside of LAX and EWR, very outdated with sub-par offerings. IAD and ORD are mostly dumps.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrMilano
We're 9 months into the $795 annual fee increase cycle and the lines are not improving.
It wasn't quite that steep -- AF increased $550 to $695.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
It wasn't quite that steep -- AF increased $550 to $695.
Further, Amex has only added additional credits and partners since the fee increase. The consensus now seems to be the fee is too low. And of course Delta heavily promotes Delta Reserve as well
Old Sep 4, 2022, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
But it is inline with what UA and AA does. And NW also didn't allow amex swipes so that helped a lot
HUH? With PMNW, I always entered WorldClubs with my AmEx Plat card, although the rules for codeshares were tricky. For example, I couldn't access lounges at both MSP and IAH (the CO lounges then also accepted AmEx Plat) on any reasonable RT ticket despite PMNW and CO being fairly close partners. (The problem was that I couldn't combine a NW marketed flight in the outbound direction and a CO marketed segment for the return on a discounted RT fare.) OTOH, I could get into Useless Air lounges when flying *any* airline, which occasionally was handy when the airport didn't have a WorldClub.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
HUH? With PMNW, I always entered WorldClubs with my AmEx Plat card, although the rules for codeshares were tricky. For example, I couldn't access lounges at both MSP and IAH (the CO lounges then also accepted AmEx Plat) on any reasonable RT ticket despite PMNW and CO being fairly close partners. (The problem was that I couldn't combine a NW marketed flight in the outbound direction and a CO marketed segment for the return on a discounted RT fare.) OTOH, I could get into Useless Air lounges when flying *any* airline, which occasionally was handy when the airport didn't have a WorldClub.
I thought the Worldclubs didn't accept AmEx for entry since their partner was I believe US bank for their creditcard. But I did access it with my Diners Club so I guess it would make sense they would accept amex swipes.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 8:26 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I thought the Worldclubs didn't accept AmEx for entry since their partner was I believe US bank for their creditcard. But I did access it with my Diners Club so I guess it would make sense they would accept amex swipes.
PMNW participated in the program where most major USA airlines gave lounge access with a Plat or Centurion card.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PMNW participated in the program where most major USA airlines gave lounge access with a Plat or Centurion card.
NW also provided Priority Pass access to clubs back in the day, but it looks like Amex access to NW clubs was a separate deal based on this thread -- No more Delta/NWA lounges through Priority Pass
Old Sep 4, 2022, 9:44 pm

NW also provided Priority Pass access to clubs back in the day, but it looks like Amex access to NW clubs was a separate deal based on this thread -- No more Delta/NWA lounges through Priority Pass
No, I always just showed my Plat card and boarding pass. I think I was flying PMNW (and of course using their lounges) before the Plat card gave a PP membership, although I had my own PP card before AmEx started giving them out.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, I always just showed my Plat card and boarding pass. I think I was flying PMNW (and of course using their lounges) before the Plat card gave a PP membership, although I had my own PP card before AmEx started giving them out.
Yes, that's why I said it looks like NW had a separate deal with Amex (apart from Priority Pass) as some people in thread mentioned separate Amex relationship.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 8:49 am

Yes, that's why I said it looks like NW had a separate deal with Amex (apart from Priority Pass) as some people in thread mentioned separate Amex relationship.
I'm not sure what you mean by "separate" deal, but the AmEx Plat card for years had a deal for admission (plus family or two guests) with several airlines, including NW, CO, either AA or UA, and US. All except US required a flight within 24 hours (not same day) on the carrier operating the lounge. AmEx had an umbrella name for the program that was used for all of the airlines with this policy. For PMNW, IIRC it included the NRT lounges but not contract lounges or partner lounges (unless one had a WBC ticket or Plat status, which was a completely different means of access, within 24 hours of an international NW/KLM flight).
Old Sep 5, 2022, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
So let me get this straight. This is the equivalent of an AA Concierge Key, right? And you still have to stand in line to get into a SkyClub in your main hub? A 360? Incredible.
What do CKs do at clubs? Do they have a big hat with flashing neon lights to let the desk agents know they don't have to have their credentials checked?
DrMilano and xjoedx like this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
ATL B18 SC this morning around 8:30am, post Labor day. Line must be around 20 deep, but empty 360/D1/DM line. Hopefully the summer travel madness is behind us now. No one was handing out “free food” that the blogger mentioned above recently posted about.

Old Sep 6, 2022, 3:13 pm

Data point. Walked into ATL B SC around 2pm on 9/5. Zero line. Left the SC at 2:15pm and the lineup was 30+ people. Very unpredictable.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, FB Gold
ATL E with a line of about 30 people today at around 4pm. No separate line for Diamond/360/Delta One. This really bummed me out because I needed a shower. ATL D12 didn’t have a line but is a horrible SC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.