Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Access Lines and Waiting due to capacity

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club Access Lines and Waiting due to capacity

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2022, 8:41 am

Atlanta Hartford at Capacity Sky Club

Hi, the Delta SkyClub is “at capacity” with over 20 people waiting on T concourse at Atlanta Hartsfield. Seems like we are out of peak summer travel (many local schools are back). Is this going to be the new normal?
Old Aug 4, 2022, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PoppyHi
Hi, the Delta SkyClub is “at capacity” with over 20 people waiting on T concourse at Atlanta Hartsfield. Seems like we are out of peak summer travel (many local schools are back). Is this going to be the new normal?
Summer travel demand doesn't start to significantly die down until after mid-August. Yes, there are some schools back in session. But it's not really big enough to make much of a dent as the bulk of K12s and colleges are still on summer break.
Adam1222, IndyHoosier and dtwlarry like this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
This week and next week are still considered peak for summer travel season, then "typically" a lot of peak summer travel that involves families and children tends to drop-off pretty substancially by the 3rd week of August.
Yes, some parts of the Southeast have K-12 back in school now, but the majority of the country doesn't go back to late August or first week of September. Granted, most fall sports and back-to-school activities start-up second half of August as well as colleges.

On the flip side, business travel typically rachets up in August versus July. The first Friday in August tends to be on of the "top 5" days for systemwide passengers.

Like said, I'll be curious on the Skyclub situation come September and that will see if that becomes the "new normal".
Club crowding, other than the typical places like ORD and ATL B weren't bad this past winter or Spring. It really has only been an issue since about Mid-April.
dtwlarry likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by DTWflyer
This week and next week are still considered peak for summer travel season, then "typically" a lot of peak summer travel that involves families and children tends to drop-off pretty substancially by the 3rd week of August.
Yes, some parts of the Southeast have K-12 back in school now, but the majority of the country doesn't go back to late August or first week of September. Granted, most fall sports and back-to-school activities start-up second half of August as well as colleges.

On the flip side, business travel typically rachets up in August versus July. The first Friday in August tends to be on of the "top 5" days for systemwide passengers.

Like said, I'll be curious on the Skyclub situation come September and that will see if that becomes the "new normal".
Club crowding, other than the typical places like ORD and ATL B weren't bad this past winter or Spring. It really has only been an issue since about Mid-April.
I always see ATL B slammed.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 11:06 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
I always see ATL B slammed.
Agreed. Not a fan of the B club anyway, so I avoid it unless there's no other option.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 3:28 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
JFK sky club near B30 is a 10 min wait. They are going down the line with mini cheese cakes and brownies thiugh
IndyHoosier and FabCW like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Frozenguy
JFK sky club near B30 is a 10 min wait. They are going down the line with mini cheese cakes and brownies thiugh
I'd be happy of they just handed out a $15-$30 voucher. If you take it, you can't enter for an hour or two, even if space opens. Could also require that must have at least hour before boarding your flight to get voucher. (Prevent people stopping by even though they never would've had time to eat, even if lounge had available seats)
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 5:29 pm

So what happens for D1 customers? Do you just cut the line and walk in?
Old Aug 9, 2022, 6:53 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by FabCW
Presumably there are signs such as post 57 here implying that D1/360/DM can cut the line: Proposal for New Diamond Medallion benefit: Skip the Skyclub line?

also post 88 showing an example of _only_ those categories being allowed in due to capacity: Proposal for New Diamond Medallion benefit: Skip the Skyclub line?

(the thread got locked due to the usual FT arguments about whose business matters more etc. but you can still see the posts)

I've only had a grand total of one SC visit in the last couple months and it wasn't crowded, so can't speak to this personally...
FabCW likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
You cut the line. However if it's at max occupancy, you still must wait. Max occupancy is defined by the fire department, based on the legal code in that area. Even if you're God, you don't get in if occupancy is 200 and 200 people are there.
jamesteroh and FabCW like this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'd be happy of they just handed out a $15-$30 voucher. If you take it, you can't enter for an hour or two, even if space opens. Could also require that must have at least hour before boarding your flight to get voucher. (Prevent people stopping by even though they never would've had time to eat, even if lounge had available seats)
Or at least offer it to d1 passengers if they aren't going to give them priority when a club is at capacity. I'd rather have a voucher to use in the concourse if the club is that crowded as long as the airport has free wifi.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 10:44 am

Short line at SLC today, less than 5 minutes wait
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:42 pm

The Bart SkyClub at DTW was “at capacity” when I arrived but I was the only one waiting. They had a big sign blocking the doors. They let me in the lobby and after a few seconds some people left. Thus I was invited to check in. There are lots of empty seats so it’s definitely not at capacity…
Old Aug 10, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL MM 3.2, DM; UAL; AAL
The Bart SkyClub at DTW was “at capacity” when I arrived but I was the only one waiting. They had a big sign blocking the doors. They let me in the lobby and after a few seconds some people left. Thus I was invited to check in. There are lots of empty seats so it’s definitely not at capacity…
I have been to that club at DT W a couple times and kept from entering until a few people left. I went upstairs and found numerous seats vacant. Once I mentioned it when leaving the club to the Ambassador and she said well we like to keep space between our passengers. I get it back in the heavy duty Covid days but I think that's a passenger decision now!
jamesteroh and FabCW like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by dldmfll
I have been to that club at DT W a couple times and kept from entering until a few people left. I went upstairs and found numerous seats vacant. Once I mentioned it when leaving the club to the Ambassador and she said well we like to keep space between our passengers. I get it back in the heavy duty Covid days but I think that's a passenger decision now!
that’s what I thought once I got upstairs. 🙂 I mean I m not gonna complain that it’s not packed. 🤣

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.