Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Meltdown 4/2/2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2022, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sorry but IMO it's still the responsibility of the employee (pilot, FA, or whatever) to get themself to the duty station on time and in good shape for their duties. If not, disciplinary action is appropriate according to the union contract or stated company policies.
No one said other wise. But if a pilot and/or FA was on a canceled flight, what is Delta going to do? make them teleport?
Originally Posted by spudley007
One other thing to add to this is that FAs (and I believe Pilots) have gotten positive space on flights since COVID started. As a result, commuters may choose not to fly to their base a day early or perhaps much earlier in the day as they are guaranteed space on the flight. Unfortunately if the flight cancels, the employee won't be at their base and has a call out. I don't know how many this impacted, but likely some.
correct.
Yes, and most employers have some sort of defined disciplinary policy if it happens too often without an acceptable reason/emergency.
You might want to look into the state of the airline industry and its hiring issues.

Firing people for missing a commute flight right now due to weather is basically the same as lighting your house on fire to protest the color of your neighbors house. Not if it happens all the time that is a different situation but once or twice, due to things outside of the employee's control is laughable right now.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 11:52 pm

Spring Break last week except for Augusta area where it takes place which ever first full week in April. Timed for a little golf tourney to hit town.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 2:38 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
Yes, and most employers have some sort of defined disciplinary policy if it happens too often without an acceptable reason/emergency.
is ATC ground-stopping an entire state for 5 hours an acceptable reason? because that's pretty much what happened.

Unfortunately you can't isolate that type of IROP to only those cities affected by the ATC programs when the duration is THAT LONG and the percentage of operations into Florida is that great, with many, many markets being hourly out of Atlanta.

(btw ... even pre-covid, DL would voluntarily positive-space commuters into NY the day before an IROP AND get them a hotel, if they knew NYC was going to take a pasting the next day. And it wasn't in anyone's contract ... it was just good business sense. But you can't pre-plan for what ATC did to the domestic network last week. Unacceptable delays for that kind of enroute weather, especially when the stations were in the clear).
Old Apr 5, 2022, 6:50 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Will there be a similar meltdown with severe WX now approaching ATL?
Old Apr 5, 2022, 7:50 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
Will there be a similar meltdown with severe WX now approaching ATL?
Yes, there's almost certainly going to be delays and issues with ATL At the current moment, planes that would normally approach via Columbus are being rerouted via Rome or Macon.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 9:37 am

Sorry but IMO it's still the responsibility of the employee (pilot, FA, or whatever) to get themself to the duty station on time and in good shape for their duties. If not, disciplinary action is appropriate according to the union contract or stated company policies.
Pretty sure commuting employees weren’t made aware that Jacksonville center ATC was going to begin having a meltdown starting early Friday afternoon which stretched into Saturday. That’s exactly what happened. Apparently Delta didn’t know either because they normally thin OPS ahead of big weather events. Add in the weather effectively blocking north Florida on Saturday.

No employee should face administrative action period in this case.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you suggesting DL and other airlines don't have an attendance / dependability policy that includes disciplinary action?

Because if so, you are incorrect.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 11:29 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Currently in the T Club, waiting on a delayed flight to head North. Tons of delays on the flight board (including my flight) and the club is very crowded for a midday Tuesday. Very few cancelations- yet.

Quite a fun drive from Cherokee County to the airport with the weather. Going to be a fun afternoon here.

Originally Posted by emma dog
Yes, there's almost certainly going to be delays and issues with ATL At the current moment, planes that would normally approach via Columbus are being rerouted via Rome or Macon.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 11:38 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by dcstudent
Currently in the T Club, waiting on a delayed flight to head North. Tons of delays on the flight board (including my flight) and the club is very crowded for a midday Tuesday. Very few cancelations- yet.

Quite a fun drive from Cherokee County to the airport with the weather. Going to be a fun afternoon here.
Did you go around 285 or thru town? On a weekday I tend to do the former depending on the time of day.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 11:48 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by dcadwell
Did you go around 285 or thru town? On a weekday I tend to do the former depending on the time of day.
I live in Decatur and I always open up Waze before heading to the airport... it's amazing how many times it's faster to take 78 out to 285 and drive around vs driving via Ponce and Freedom Parkway. Every blue moon it sends me down to 20-> 85/75.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 11:58 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by emma dog
I live in Decatur and I always open up Waze before heading to the airport... it's amazing how many times it's faster to take 78 out to 285 and drive around vs driving via Ponce and Freedom Parkway. Every blue moon it sends me down to 20-> 85/75.
Gotcha. I'm up in Woodstock, so almost always just take 285 unless it's very early in the AM; the connector tends to just be a mess more often than not.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Waze sent me down 285. Took the Peach Pass lanes down 575/75 which was smooth sailing (I live in Woodstock) but 285 was a mess. Fortunately thw only accident was a single car that had spun out and hit the median jersey barrier.

Waze hardly sends me down the connector unless im leaving directly from work (Alpharetta).

Originally Posted by dcadwell
dcadwell likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Bear96
Are you suggesting DL and other airlines don't have an attendance / dependability policy that includes disciplinary action?

Because if so, you are incorrect.
NO, I'm suggesting that most major employers DO have an attendance policy.

I recall asking a DL employee (not crew) what would happen if someone missed a day of work due to not being able to get onto a flight home when flying NRSA (for leisure or personal reasons, of course). The response was that there wouldn't be big consequences the first time, but employees were expected to be aware of the potential risks of nonrev travel and plan accordingly so as not to miss work..
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:34 pm

ATL T Club is now closed because of crowding (1 in for every 1 out).

My flight is now delayed until after 9pm....At least its not cancelled. No seats on any other flight to my destination or the two closest airports (from which I can get transport to my destination).

Just going to be that kind of day.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:36 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Not sure what would apply here (esp since I think we're at least partially speculating to begin with) but there's a difference between an employee returning from a leisure trip on a non-rev basis, or (if I recall correctly) commuting from home to their base (if they don't live in it), vs. if they are already at base but need to fly (for the employer's convenience) to a different station to begin their duties.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.